Name:	153.JPG
Views:	461
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1342457

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied
    Originally posted by PassingInterest View Post
    Thanks, Don! The finish seems to have sealed up the Cedar scent. I don't smell it at all from the front side--even with my nose up close--and the back will soon be glued to the cabinets.

Fantastic!
    My wife has COPD and says that the cedar smell messes with her breathing, but boy, that cedar looks SO much like rosewood
    (at least to me...) . I may try a little project with cedar to "test the waters". Love the red, red/brown and variations on the panels.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    I'm in awe of that shine!

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• PassingInterest
    replied
    Thanks, Don! The finish seems to have sealed up the Cedar scent. I don't smell it at all from the front side--even with my nose up close--and the back will soon be glued to the cabinets.

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied
    Wow - there's always a "show" watching an expert at work.
    Still digging those cedar panels. Do they smell much, or did the finish seal that up?

Leave a comment:

• PassingInterest
    replied
    6 inch random orbital automotive polisher. I used the glaze on the left as a swirl remover, followed by a coat of wax.

Click image for larger version

Name:	148.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	1342307

The results. Background reflections appear blurry because of the camera's focus on the foreground.

Name:	149.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1342308

And here's a Cedar panel.

Name:	150.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1342309

Leave a comment:

• PassingInterest
    replied
    Thanks, Ken!

Ready for polishing.

Name:	143.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1342301

I actually did a couple of panels by starting with P1200, but it took longer than I wanted. So, dry sanding with P800 to begin with.

Name:	144.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1342302

Dry sanded with P1200. Not much visible difference yet.

Name:	145.JPG
Views:	434
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1342303

Dry sanded with P2500. It is beginning to become a little reflective.

Name:	146.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1342304

Dry sanded with P4000. Very reflective. I could wax it and be done, but I did just a little more after this step.

Name:	147.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1342305

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied
    Looking great. Thanks for all the little details it helps those that want to mach your work.

Leave a comment:

• PassingInterest
    replied
    I sprayed a tint coat on the Oak panels, using some TransTint mixed into some MinWax Oil Modified Water Based Polyurethane finish. A word of caution: Sometimes I get weird clumping of the TransTint in the Poly, sometimes not. Use a paper cone filter when you pour your finish into your gun to avoid clogging your in-gun filter. This time, I definitely saw the clumping in the finish after mixing. I was out of time for the day, so I sprayed it the next day. Oddly, I caught no clumps or lumps in the cone filter as I poured it into the gun. Perhaps it dissolved into the finish more completely overnight.

Name:	141.JPG
Views:	426
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1342240

This is not a very good before and after picture, as I have already sanded the panel that is about to be sprayed, making it look paler than it really is. The effect of the tint coat was subtle, as I mixed it really weak. I was looking for a subtle shift in tone and evening out of the panel appearance overall. The panel on the right has been tinted already. And you can see that some harmless dry powder from air-borne over spray has settled on the Cedar panels in the background. It will wipe right off. It is just dust at this point.

Name:	142.JPG
Views:	429
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1342242

Leave a comment:

• PassingInterest
    replied
    Originally posted by hongrn View Post
    Beautiful woodwork. I wish I had your skills and patience. Such an improvement over my Sonarias both sonically and aesthetically.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1341999[/ATTACH]
    Thank you for the kind words! You do great work yourself!

Leave a comment:

• hongrn
    replied
    Beautiful woodwork. I wish I had your skills and patience. Such an improvement over my Sonarias both sonically and aesthetically.

Name:	P8120076.JPG
Views:	548
Size:	597.0 KB
ID:	1341999

Leave a comment:

• PassingInterest
    replied
    Thanks, guys! I am so looking forward to hearing these Beasts!

Leave a comment:

• 4thtry
    replied
    Beautiful cabinets!! And lots of great woodworking and finishing tips in this thread. I especially like your approach on preparing & clamping up the curved cabinet surfaces. Good stuff.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied
    .... and she says "Looks pretty, but when can I hear them?"

Had my towers offline for a few weeks while I reworked the crossovers.
    Put them back in the living room last Monday - wow, I'd actually forgotten how awesome these are.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X