IKEA stereo console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IKEA stereo console

Hello everyone. I had an old ikea cube storage shelf unit in the corner of my living room, not doing much and looking rather bland. I decided to build a stereo console out of it! I integrated a subwoofer into it some time ago - n old alpine 12” I had in a car long since sold - powered by a Dayton 70 watt plate amp. I long for more power and my new drivers are running about 94db sensitivity, so I ordered a new Dayton 250 watt to keep up with the rest.

I had some old Silver Flute 8s in the garage from a previous project and decided to reuse them for this. Additionally, I’ll be running the Dayton pt2c-8 planar tweeters with a little creativity in their installation. The woofers will occupy the upper corner compartments and the tweeters are standing off on recycled dorm-room lamps with custom baffles. I’m rather proud of the way it’s turning out and am close to firing it up.
    ———
    I began by adding some legs from Lowe’s, stained walnut for some contrast. Pictured is the cabinet with the sub and legs installed.

The tweeter baffles are constructed of 1x4 pine planks, cut at a 45 and secured without fasteners. I like this joinery process: cut your 45s, butt the pieces end-to-end, tape them, glue gratuitously, fold together and secure. Drilled a hole for the lamp rod to pass through and a corresponding notch for the rod to screw into the baffle tops. Routed the faces, sanded, primed, painted gloss red and polyed.

The woofer baffles are constructed of 3/4” ply with 1/2” mdf for the side and rear (the cabinet forms the upper, lower and remaining side walls). Routed the corners, routed a hole with my circle jig, drilled all the pocket holes and assembled. Caulked gratuitously. 3x7” ports, about 0.8 ft^3 net internal volume which should provide a beefy f3 of 50 hz.

Crossovers are off-the-shelf Dayton 3000 hz units. The wiring enters the cabinet at a terminal cup and the tweeter pillars attach through another.
    ———
    I’ll post some more pics when I fire it up.

Comment

Comment

Installing the bracing and rear wall of the cabinet and wiring it all up tonight. I think anyone with some tools and a day to dedicate to the process could undertake this project. My cabinetry/carpentry skills are garbage but it's turning out pretty well. This is competing with family time and my Dayton Scion xB project (two ported Ultimax 10s under the front seats!) so it's moved slower than I'd like but it wouldn't take more than a weekend to tackle if you could focus.

Comment

No cabinetry skills. Fortunately it’s all facing a wall. Dayton 250 watt plate amp installed. 35 hz +6db boost engaged. I’m down 7db at 35 presently so this amplifier suits my needs perfectly given the lack of eq on my 1970s pioneer receiver. My wife is convinced that all of Dayton’s boxes are in my garage.

Comment

I am seeing a lot of progress with this work, keep us posted once it is up and running.

Comment

Haven’t updated in a few days. Wife was out of town so I spent a few hours drinking beers and buttoning everything up. I initially set my bird feeder tweeter posts at ear level when seated but the vertical dispersion of those planar tweeters is very narrow and they didn’t project well when you’re standing (which I and everyone else generally are). It measures flat enough in the room (+- 5db from center from 10000-150hz with a rise in the bass region and a drop off that gets pretty steep around 15000hz). There’s one peak at 4000, about 1/3 octave wide, that I don’t really hear but shows up on REW with my uncalibrated microphone.

Anyway, I’m very pleased now that the tweeters are closer to ear level when standing. It beams in the midrange so it only images well in one spot but it gets loud as hell with just 10volts/15-20watts and stays clean the whole way up. It eats up electronic music but Bill Withers and Amy Winehouse sound great as well.

Overall I’m very pleased with my boom box console and would recommend a similar project to anyone with one of these old bookshelves laying around.

Comment

Working...
              X