The Continuum Sound bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Continuum Sound bar

I wanted to post this mostly to thank those that helped me with my amateur questions...

This came together pretty well. I had a few little issues but was able to move past them. I have not done any designing so the sub section using WinISD was new for me and a neat easy tool. I am not sure how my build really compares to the model but at this point it sounds good.

We finally got a new TV around here so I new that some type system was going to happen. Our old TV actually had decent sound so I never messed with it. However the LCD sounds like a clock radio.

I toyed with the idea of building some small bookshelf speakers and there are so many good examples to choose from. However, playing with some I already had I quickly realized I did not want to deal with the look of the clutter below the TV. Power cords, speaker cables, cable box etc so I wanted to block that view.

My solution was a sound bar that took up that space visually and fit below the TV.

The bar is 48” wide. The mains speakers are repurposed Continuums by Jeff B. This may seem like a strange choice but the Continuum (a LS3/5a clone) does the vocal range very well. I wanted something that made voices clear. Now the Continuum was never designed to be full range so I added a TB W6 sub to fill in the bottom. I originally planned on using a W5 but the W6 just modeled better in the space I was trying to fill.

This is a passive soundbar that I am running with a PE 2.1 amp board. The board is 50x2 +100x 1 and is doing a great job!

Well, asking all those questions helped you produce a nice product. Have you considered painting a black circle to match the port for visual symmetry?

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
      Well, asking all those questions helped you produce a nice product. Have you considered painting a black circle to match the port for visual symmetry?
      Funny. My 11 year old was like dad you need to put one of those over here

My plan is to make a one piece magnetic grill. So in the end you won’t see the drivers. I wanted the entire thing to blend in.

I should also say that while it does sound great I have thought of using two W5s. Since the baffles front and year are screwed on I am able to make whatever changes I want.

Comment

I gave this thing a workout last night watching mission impossible. I am very impressed with how this came out and equally impressed with the little 2.1 amp. Jeez I pushed that thing to the max and it did not skip a beat nor sound shrill. Even though I will build a larger amp if I am going to drive it so hard. I would prefer some headroom and I am also certain a bigger amp will enhance the already very good base output from the W6. The W6 is surely a gateway sub

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post

Funny. My 11 year old was like dad you need to put one of those over here

My plan is to make a one piece magnetic grill. So in the end you won’t see the drivers. I wanted the entire thing to blend in.

I should also say that while it does sound great I have thought of using two W5s. Since the baffles front and year are screwed on I am able to make whatever changes I want.
          Nice work, I like the unpainted wood and that you can see the screws wich are symmetrical. It looks strong and well build. If you don't ad a grill you can buy the same port you used and saw it at about 8 centimeter and seal it. Maybe you get a good look and it's like you used 2 ports.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarface1 View Post

Nice work, I like the unpainted wood and that you can see the screws wich are symmetrical. It looks strong and well build. If you don't ad a grill you can buy the same port you used and saw it at about 8 centimeter and seal it. Maybe you get a good look and it's like you used 2 ports.
            Thank you for the kind words Scarface1. I actually have dyed and stained it black and it looks great. I am going to make a grill for it so the asymmetry of the port won’t be a issue.

Again I appreciate it,

Comment

That really came out looking nice Steve... very Continuum-eske with the mounting hardware as Jeff did it if you know what I mean. Congratulations, you probably have one of the best performing soundbars in all of DIY'dom! You're getting the hang of this sir!

TomZ
              Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Thank you Tom. Yes I did want to carry the look over to give credit to Jeff’s design. It is all apart right now getting finish on it.

I am really happy with how it sounds.

Next builds I plan on using different building methods but the screw on baffles make experimenting really helpful.

Comment

I tried some new finishing techniques on this one. I started with wood dye followed by black stain and finally Waterlox. The dye worked great and I will be using a lot more in the future. The stain was also great. All that was needed was a very light coat to achieve a very black but not painted look. However, the Waterlox ended up not being what i wanted for this project.

So what I have here is the result after I sanded it all back down, added one coat of dye and a coat of Danish oil. I really like the look. It is not black black like the stain but it looks very much like ebony wood which I really like. I am pleased with it.

Sound wise it is probably better than most commercial sound bars and I am really pleased with the result.

Another project down and some good lessons. I will keep trying!
                  Last edited by stephenmarklay; 12-24-2019, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X