Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duane Brown’s Dayton 4 (aka the Persistence Monitor)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duane Brown’s Dayton 4 (aka the Persistence Monitor)

So after many bad cuts, miscalculations, several sanded finishes and one blown woofer my persistence monitor is complete!

Why do I call it the persistence monitor? Because I almost threw them out twice due to so much frustration. It took persistence to get this one done but I am happy I did.

I used a slightly different box dimension than Duane. However, it is about the same internal volume. I had a pair of stand I wanted to use with them…

The baffle is Corian. It is the first time I have used it. It "works" fairly easy but I don’t have the correct saw blades so I made a router work. The only downside is that it is pretty messy to use with a router. But it does spruce up the box a bit. I get scraps locally so I paid only a few dollars for this material.

I know my square edges are a diffraction magnet… I am going to use some felt around the tweeter to mitigate that problem.

I want to thank all of the people that helped me and answered all of my questions. I simply could not have done it without all the help here.

I am getting a bit more skilled at both the woodworking and I am starting to grasp the basics.

This is the last of my “hack” builds as it were. I have since bought a table saw, nice blades. and tools to make sure my cuts are square. I am optimistic that things will get easier with these new tools.

I
    Attached Files

Look really good. I already know they sound good.
    craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Thanks Craig!

Comment

I agree with the other Craig. They look very nice. Just wait until you're cutting wood on a nice and square table saw... you'll be addicted just like the rest of us. You'll be buying drivers you don't even need just because...
        Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

• stephenmarklay
          stephenmarklay commented
          Editing a comment
          Boy that is for sure. I can’t wait to use put that saw to good use. I am going to build a small matching box with a TB W5 which looks similar to the little Dayton. That will be my first project with the new saw.

Nice work, nothing like the gratification of completing a frustrating build. I've had thesenough on my radar for a minute.

Comment

That doesn't look like a "hack" build to me. They look very nice. Match the stands perfectly too!

TomZ
          Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

• stephenmarklay
            stephenmarklay commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you so much Tom. Well, in the end they are presentable but I look forward to a smoother build with better results in the future.

Nice! Looks good! Are you enjoying them?

Comment

• stephenmarklay
            stephenmarklay commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Jeff! Actually, the bad woofer still needs to be replaced. They are out of stock so hopefully in a week or two I will get it. Regardless, I have listened to them and they are going to be great. I think adding a sub (not that they really need bass) will allow them to shine. There is only so much volume to expect out of a 4” woofer but they don't not sound like budget speakers.

Sorry you had so much trouble with them. They do look really good though. Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Comment

• stephenmarklay
            stephenmarklay commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Kered. No need to feel sorry. I learn each time I take on a project. I think fixing errors is a good skill I have really improved my tool situation so things should be easier moving forward.

I picked up some 3/4 BB to build the sub for these guys. I have been listing to the one good speaker. They have a nice balanced sound. They may be a bit marginal for my larger living space for total SPL but they are still impressive in their over-all sound and really hard to fault being a 4” woofer.

I have not heard any of the smaller popular designs but I am sure the Dayton 4 would fit in well with the others.

Comment

I have to ask how do they compare to the KEFs placed behind?
            I understand that they are not in the same range but still relative impressions
            would be great to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by PRS259 View Post
              I have to ask how do they compare to the KEFs placed behind?
              I understand that they are not in the same range but still relative impressions
              would be great to hear.
              So far I have not been able to listen a lot to the new Dayton 4. One woofer is bad and a new one hopefully will be on its way soon.

My initial impressions are that the Dayton is tonally a very good speaker. It has obvious limitations with dynamic range and SPL but in a smaller room I think it will be a very nice sounding speaker.

The Kef has more of everything but as far as balance I am not sure it is better than the Dayton. With the little sub I am building the Dayton will be a darn nice monitor.

Comment

Wow I absolutely love them. The British monitor look suits them perfectly. They look soooo much more expensive than they are. Very well done!

Comment

Originally posted by dynamo View Post
                  Wow I absolutely love them. The British monitor look suits them perfectly. They look soooo much more expensive than they are. Very well done!
                  Thank you so much Dynamo. You got me. I have had a few sets of LS3/5a and I always liked the utilitarian look for British monitors.

But I also found this method of building to be a good way to tinker with stuff after the fact. As I become more confident I will do try more “interesting” ways to build but I am happy how these look even after the difficulties.

Comment

I ended up getting a new woofer from Amazon. I paid more than 2x the PE price. I intended these for my garage gym and now that my regular gym is closed I needed something now. I am lucky I have enough to get by with my workouts (although with the weather improving, biking and hiking are taking front and center.)

Also, I the actual price is so low I could justify the $14 wasted.

I am super happy with them. I started the matching subwoofer box yesterday and got the corian baffle cut out too. I am using a TB w5 which actually looks a lot like the little TCP. I have to measure if I have room on the baffle for the w5 and the port but I am using a 2” precision port and they take up gobs of space. It will be a tight fit in there but keeping it on the baffle would be nice.

Really though, for normal listening in a smaller room I would not use a sub. The do have a good full sound. In my garage I will HP filter them at 150hz and cross the sub. That way I can play them louder for my larger garage space.

I have to get a few bits for the sub form PE so it will probably be a couple weeks yet...

Comment

Now that I have had them in my garage gym for a few days I can say that they sound much bigger than they are. The bass is a bit round like a tube amp but the overall sound is great. Even rock music like Def Leopard sounds great. They certainly are a price/performance leader. Although PE has a hard time, currently, keeping the drivers in stock.

Comment

Working...
                      X