First Build - Digger 8 Subwoofer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Build - Digger 8 Subwoofer

I've been lurking on here for a while and this is my first post and first speaker build.

I have decided to build 5.1 system using the Digger 8 subwoofer and Helium micromonitors.

I decided to make a downwards firing design and to fit a fabric cover over the PR which also wraps around to the front.
    I planned the build using Solidworks.

Bought a Bosch router and a cheap version of a Jasper circle jig which seems to work quite well.

I didn't cut the panels very accurately or get the panels lined up particularly well so there were some gaps. Going to fill and sand these using car body filler.

Comment

Looking great! What woofer are you using for the Digger? I thought the original design woofer (an Infinity car audio model?) wasn't available any more.
      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
      Wogg Music
      Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Helium's and Digger8.... What a great small and economical system.

wogg - the Infiniti and JBL car subwoofers are NLA but can be found on eBay, Craigslist, etc. although less and less frequently. I have 2 brand new Infiniti 860W's in my basement that I got off eBay a year or so ago for cheap.

Comment

Yes. Got the JBL GTO804 from eBay a while ago to use in my car as it works well in small enclosures. Got a new car now with a decent factory audio system in so the JBL was spare. As I'm in the UK, I had to order the Dayton PR from Audiophonics in France. Unfortunately it's not as cheap as buying from Parts Express and less choice too.

I got a Monacor SAM-300D plate amp but unfortunately this has the low frequency filter set at around 30Hz. I'm going to use it as it is for now, but in the future I'm planning to change the resistors to remove this limitation. I want that extra 10Hz!

Comment

FIlled and sanded the box. Need to get some veneer and cloth for the grill.

Added the washers to the PR and assembled it all. It sounds good so far. Can't turn it up too much as it's late here and the neighbours are in!

Comment

Interesting SPAM, "joeal" (and from only 1 wk old source material). That's quicker than the C-virus!

Comment

Got the teak veneer applied. First time doing it and didn't make a particularly great job of it but looks ok from a distance.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200414_212037.jpg Views:	0 Size:	188.2 KB ID:	1437383 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200414_212118.jpg Views:	0 Size:	234.7 KB ID:	1437381 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200414_212058.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.2 KB ID:	1437380

Comment

Great job for a first build! Every build gets better than the previous. Keep up the good work

Comment

Originally posted by ceiol View Post
                    Great job for a first build! Every build gets better than the previous. Keep up the good work
                    Thanks. Going to start working on five Heliums next to go with the sub for a 5.1 system.

Comment

Working...
                    X