Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revisiting an old friend

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Revisiting an old friend

    Haven't been terribly active here in the last few years but I thought I would share my latest project with everyone. Seven years ago I built my first diy speaker design using the Dayton DS175 and DC28F. It originally employed an online x-over calculator crossover and a really small port. Not to long after that a member here helped come up with a better crossover for me which did help with the speakers response. Those drivers then got moved into an old vintage stereo cabinet in the garage for a few years and then got put on a shelf. Fast forward 4 or 5 years and I though it would be fun to revisit this build. I now have an OmniMic and Dats so I can take proper measurements of the drivers and design my own crossover for the new enclosure.

    What started this idea was a woodworker local to me had a pile of veneer scraps for sale (5 large Rubbermaid bins!) of all kinds of cool wood. I bought about 4 different kinds, but was excited to use the curly maple the most. I have wanted to use curly maple in a build for ages after a local sushi restaurant used a large slab of it for their bar seating - looks so cool! There was definitely so lessons learned during this build so the cabinets didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, but I will just chalk that up to learning to use a new wood .

    The cabinets are an mdf box with the veneer and BB ply for the sides with an accent strip of cherry for the baffle edge. Enclosure size is .4cf and tuned to 50hz. I put one brace across the middle of the inside. One of the known issues with the DS drivers is a bit of upper distortion in the 4k range. Looking at the stamped steel basket I thought to myself that I wonder if some car audio sound deadener on the basket would help, so I went ahead and applied some to one driver and took some distortion sweeps of both finished speakers - I was quite surprised to actually see a difference in the distortion plots! I finalized my crossover and it came in right around 2k with an 12db slope on the woofer and 18 on the tweeter. Now onto the pictures!





    A few under construction shots,



    Side panels with the cherry strip,







    Modelled response and measured in room,





    Applying the sound deadener to the woofer and the distortion plots without the treatment and with - note these were taken full range with the tweeter and crossover in place,





    See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

  • #2
    Good work. Nice post.

    Comment


    • #3
      Wow! Those cabs are beautiful. Is that the view from your back deck? Spectacular. Where is that?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cooper View Post
        Wow! Those cabs are beautiful. Is that the view from your back deck? Spectacular. Where is that?
        Yes - that is my backyard We live in Squamish, British Columbia. It's pretty sweet here
        See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

        Comment


        • #5
          I forgot to post a picture of the original pair I built with these drivers

          See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

          Comment


          • #6
            Nice work... those will be much better. 90% better due to crossover design, the other 10% from the flush mount, round over, and better port size

            (82% of all statistics are made up on the spot)
            Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
            Wogg Music
            Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wogg View Post
              Nice work... those will be much better. 90% better due to crossover design, the other 10% from the flush mount, round over, and better port size

              (82% of all statistics are made up on the spot)
              Thanks
              See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

              Comment


              • #8
                Those look great. Thanks for the tip about sound deadening on the driver frames. I have a set of DSA drivers about to go into my next project.
                -Bob

                The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

                Comment


                • #9
                  Beautiful work as always Derek! That's interesting how much of a difference the damping made on the driver, cool idea.
                  My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                  Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                  Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                  The Archers
                  Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                  The Gandalf's

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks guys - the sound deadener definitely was a good idea

                    See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X