X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Harvylogan
    Been Around Awhile
    • Jul 2014

The V1

Done. I have to thank rpb and Javad Shazi for their tutoring with PCD and crossover design. I couldn't have done it without you guys. This was my first real ground up build that is all my own. The learning curve was a bit steep but if it was easy everybody would do it. I know my way around speaker design a little better now. But make no mistake. I still have a lot to learn and this project just makes me hungry for more knowledge. This design actually went through 20-30 different iterations before I made any sawdust. But, in the end I think it has turned out pretty well. It is a bit bass heavy (which I like) but I can change that with a resistor change in the crossover so I will listen for a while and if need be I will change it. The frequency response runs down hill about 6 db from low to high. The speaker sounds well blended. They image really well in my shop with just enough edge on the mids and highs that voices are crisp but not enough to become fatiguing at even the highest output. My living room tends to boost bass so I may end up adjusting the down hill tilt of of the crossover when I move them up there.

The tweet is a Satori TW29DN-4 in the same wave guide as used in the Helios. The woofer is a Volt BM 228.8

Measurement
    Click image for larger version

Name:	small.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	1455514

Crossover
    ​

Response Left Vs Right

Name:	V1 L VS R.JPG
Views:	465
Size:	486.6 KB
ID:	1455516

Polar 0, 15, 30 and 45 Deg.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	V1 DEG.JPG Views:	582 Size:	666.9 KB ID:	1440696

More to follow
    Matthew
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Harvylogan; 10-27-2020, 11:27 PM.
    BSME
    Kannapolis NC
  • Harvylogan
    Been Around Awhile
    • Jul 2014

Measurement 18"

Name:	V1 MEASURED.JPG
Views:	952
Size:	554.9 KB
ID:	1440699

Measurement 1m

Name:	V1 X10 MTR.JPG
Views:	977
Size:	759.7 KB
ID:	1440700

Sim overlay 18"

Name:	XO10 FREQ.JPG
Views:	978
Size:	622.0 KB
ID:	1440701

Sim overlay 18" reverse polarity

Name:	XO10 FREQ RP.JPG
Views:	1007
Size:	616.5 KB
ID:	1440698

Sim overlay 2m

Name:	overlay 2m.JPG
Views:	991
Size:	605.1 KB
ID:	1440702
    More to follow
    Matthew
    BSME
    Kannapolis NC

Comment

• Harvylogan
      Been Around Awhile
      • Jul 2014

Impedance
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMP.JPG Views:	0 Size:	503.3 KB ID:	1440705

Crossover
      Click image for larger version  Name:	V1 XO10.JPG Views:	0 Size:	198.2 KB ID:	1440704

Matthew
      BSME
      Kannapolis NC

Comment

• craigk
        Seasoned Veteran
        • May 2012

there are several issues with your design.
        craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

• Harvylogan
          Been Around Awhile
          • Jul 2014

Yes. There always is. Working toward a higher level is progressive.

Matthew
          BSME
          Kannapolis NC

Comment

• craigk
            Seasoned Veteran
            • May 2012

You have a 2 nd order electrical crossover. The tweeter needs to be wired out of phase from the woofer. Just swith the wires on your tweeter. 17 ohms resistance on the tweeter is a lot of resistance. Maybe think about going to an L - pad. Then if you need to lower the tweeter, use a few ohms where you 17 ohm resistor is now. You are getting there. You have nice drivers, you should have a really good sounding speaker when you are finished
            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

• Harvylogan
              Been Around Awhile
              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by craigk
              You have a 2 nd order electrical crossover. The tweeter needs to be wired out of phase from the woofer.
              Not sure this is true. As long as phase tracking is good I don't think it really matters. I tried 2nd and 2nd, 1st and 3rd, 3rd and 3rd, 2nd and 4th and 4th and 4th. No matter what I did I couldn't get rid of the tweeter response crossing the summed response @ 2800 and measured @ 18". I don't listen @ 18" anyway and the phase gets better as the measurements move back. The phase tracking is pretty good @ 1m and gets better @ 2m. Not sure if this is real or maybe wave guide interaction or room interaction with the measurements. At any rate the speaker sounds really good. I may have a bit too much padding as my living room has more room gain than my shop. I will know when I move them up there and listen and measure.

As far as the padding I agree with you on the resistor layout. I can probubly use an L-pad and reduce or delete the series resistor. It was just sounding and measuring good the way it was so I didn't change it.
              BSME
              Kannapolis NC

Comment

Working...