Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finalist - My Covid19 Isolation Project

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Glen, Thanks for your kind comments. It's been awhile since I've build a pair of 3-way speakers and to have them sound as fine as the Finalists do has been very satisfying.

    Last night my youngest son asked if his marching band can use the music room for a weekly section meeting and my first thought was "Oh No, I won't be able to listen to music!" What was I thinking? I'll be able to listen to 7-8 sax players for a couple of hours every week. Now if I can only get them to play some Iguanas songs.... Ed
    If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
    ~ Johnny Carson

    Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by bungelow_ed View Post
      Craig and Jim, With so much time on my hands and having just finished the Finalists it is easy to get excited about building the Travelers. Everything I've read talks about their super mid-range qualities. How does the bass performance compare to the Finalists?

      One small problem, it was 111 degrees yesterday were I live and my shop does not have air conditioning. I might have to hole-up for 4-5 months and listen to the Finalists. When Fall and cooler temperatures return I will be ready for another speaker project, likely the Travelers.

      Until then it seems prudent to gather the drivers lest they go NLA. And I can always assemble x-overs while I wait. Ed
      Hi Ed,

      The bass of the Travelers and Finalists is the same. The F/3 is low 30's. The cabinet is the same except for a tiny difference in recess size of the SB15CAC vs the NE149 and the OW2 is a different cutout. The rest of the cabinet is identical. The plans, crossover schematic and parts are all available from that place in Grand Rapids as a kit. It's an easy build.

      HTH

      Jim

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by bungelow_ed View Post
        Glen, Thanks for your kind comments. It's been awhile since I've build a pair of 3-way speakers and to have them sound as fine as the Finalists do has been very satisfying.

        Last night my youngest son asked if his marching band can use the music room for a weekly section meeting and my first thought was "Oh No, I won't be able to listen to music!" What was I thinking? I'll be able to listen to 7-8 sax players for a couple of hours every week. Now if I can only get them to play some Iguanas songs.... Ed
        I love The Iguanas, and thank you for the coffee drinking music choice! I hadn't listened to them for years, and I am sitting here on cup number 4 , with them grooving away. I think Isabel wants to boom boom all night long!🔊 Some of my favorite memories growing up, were of my crazy grandmother letting me practice tuba and Sousaphone charts through the day, and then my stoner long hair friends, that were several years older, dragging Marshall stacks into her living room to jam . 50 watt tubes on 10! Gershwin and Porter in the daytime, Sabbath, Zep, and Iron Maiden at night. Little did she know what those breaks that we took in the 76 Sportsman custom van were for! We did actually discuss set lists though. Lol. You can separate the sax section left to right, and check the imaging from your listening chair! It's great that your son is that involved in learning and playing sax, and taking it seriously. You won't remember the days that you gave up your room, but you will look back on the times that your son, and his friends were growing their playing right before your own eyes and ears. Now if you can get them to rip out Chicago, or Tower Of Power.......👍 Glenn.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post

          Hi Ed,

          The bass of the Travelers and Finalists is the same. The F/3 is low 30's. The cabinet is the same except for a tiny difference in recess size of the SB15CAC vs the NE149 and the OW2 is a different cutout. The rest of the cabinet is identical. The plans, crossover schematic and parts are all available from that place in Grand Rapids as a kit. It's an easy build.

          HTH

          Jim
          Hi Jim,

          Shortly after posting my question it was off to see the kit and sinking realization that it's the same darn cabinet! Should of looked before opening my figurative mouth. The reason the question came to mind is thatt he Finalists have some of the nicest bass output I've heard in a monitor.

          Upside to the same cabinet is I can cut panels whenever it's cool enough to work in the shop. Also, has me wondering about building the MLTL version of the Finalist cabinet.

          Ed
          If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
          ~ Johnny Carson

          Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Drummer View Post

            I love The Iguanas, and thank you for the coffee drinking music choice! I hadn't listened to them for years, and I am sitting here on cup number 4 , with them grooving away. I think Isabel wants to boom boom all night long!🔊 Some of my favorite memories growing up, were of my crazy grandmother letting me practice tuba and Sousaphone charts through the day, and then my stoner long hair friends, that were several years older, dragging Marshall stacks into her living room to jam . 50 watt tubes on 10! Gershwin and Porter in the daytime, Sabbath, Zep, and Iron Maiden at night. Little did she know what those breaks that we took in the 76 Sportsman custom van were for! We did actually discuss set lists though. Lol. You can separate the sax section left to right, and check the imaging from your listening chair! It's great that your son is that involved in learning and playing sax, and taking it seriously. You won't remember the days that you gave up your room, but you will look back on the times that your son, and his friends were growing their playing right before your own eyes and ears. Now if you can get them to rip out Chicago, or Tower Of Power.......👍 Glenn.
            Oh my, my, another Iguanas fan! Not many around my neck of the woods. What a shame. I just might have to follow your example tomorrow morning. I have a hankering to hear Plastic Silver 9 Volt-Heart all of a sudden.

            Must have been fun times with Grandma! I have a hard time imagining my Grandparents or even parents hosting night-time gatherings like yours. Nothing against my G's and P's, they were all to straight laced to let their hair down.

            As for my son, he is very much a classical and marching band musician. Though at 16 he is starting to come out of his shell. Being section leader next year just might be the push he needs. Last year, his school came in 2nd at state. Furthest they've gotten, ever. My older son played sax and the mellophone (sp.?) for 3 years. They got to 3rd or 4th one year. Our Governor announced yesterday that there will be school this Fall. Hopefully the kids will have a full football and band season. I would hate for him to not play because there is no structure and venue.
            If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
            ~ Johnny Carson

            Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

            Comment

            Working...
            X