Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silverD
    replied
    Thanks DeZZar and Tom! I got the idea for the Ikea boxes from another forum and they were about the right size for this project. Once at Ikea, I had to traverse the maze several times to locate them. Ikea is fine if you are casually shopping. If you looked online and found a particular item that shows in stock ahead of time, good luck finding it once you get there.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    They do look nice. The bamboo version especially looks fantastic to my eyes.
    I think I'm starting to equate the look of the bamboo grain and end grain to higher-quality hardwood. I've never used bamboo before but I want to try it out.

As a side note, my wife and I got lost in Ikea once in Philly. We wandered around the entrance area for a bit then somehow went directly to the warehouse section. We thought "What a weird store... where can you see the tables and chairs to sit on them?" We left never realizing that there was a whole floor that we missed... the one with basically all the stuff we wanted to look at. Yeah, we felt a bit dumb afterwards once we realized what we had done. Our whole house may have looked completely different now if we had not skipped the 'right' floor.

But back to the show... beautiful Nate!

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• DeZZar
    replied
    ha....Ikea boxes. What a great idea, they look fantastic!

Leave a comment:

• silverD
    replied
    Thanks guys, here are a few more shots.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	angled.JPG
Views:	490
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1473152 Click image for larger version

Name:	side.JPG
Views:	507
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1473151

Leave a comment:

• Steve Lee
    replied
    Wow!

I love the look and the cabinet shape/back-tilt - perfect for a lot of applications - great job, dude!

:D

More pics from the side would be nice . . .

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Very attractive speakers.

Leave a comment:

• silverD
    started a topic Dayton 4 Variants

Dayton 4 Variants

In the last few weeks I've been working through my inventory of parts trying to complete some of my projects. Last year when the TCP115-4 drivers where out of stock, I purchased an open box MKSX4 passive sub, which utilizes four TCP115-4 drivers, for just a few dollars more that the drivers would have set me back. I also ordered the tweeters and crossover components needed for the Dayton 4's. I promptly removed the drivers from the sub, but the project came to a halt. I recently picked up some Ikea Variera 9-1/2" bamboo boxes and remembered I already had some 3/8" think bamboo cutting boards on hand. This made for a quick build of Duane's design and the angled baffle should work great for a desk. I had some JBL Loft 30s collecting dusk and found they also used a 4" woofer with the same mounting hole pattern. Unfortunately they use a truncated frame so I had to do a bit of cabinet modification. I used the opportunity to add a horizontal brace as well. The original Loft 30 tweeter has an interesting integrated mounting flange that I was able to replicate and 3D print for the ND16. The Loft cabinet is tuned very high and I was able to print a port for the TCP115-4 that simply press fit into the existing one.
    Thanks Duane for such a simple and inexpensive design that sounds great!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	front and back.JPG
Views:	513
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	1473100 Click image for larger version

Name:	back.JPG
Views:	568
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1473099 Click image for larger version

Name:	loft.JPG
Views:	533
Size:	128.9 KB