Turntable/audio stand from leftovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turntable/audio stand from leftovers

I got my son the base $100 AudioTechnica record player for Christmas and am pleasantly surprised that he really enjoys vinyl. He is already looking to upgrade to a better turntable in the future. He was looking at record player stands and as a college student didn't want to spend the money that even a basic stand costs, so he asked if I was interested in building one. Which, of course I was.

So I went down to the basement and got some leftover Oak hardwood flooring. I had to clean it up and bleach it, as I think there was a little mildew on a few pieces. I probably had enough leftover MDF laying around but didn't want to hunt around for pieces the right size so bought one 4' x 8' sheet of 1/2" mdf to double up for the 1" sides and main shelf, a 2' x 4' handypanel of 1/4" mdf for the record dividers and a 2' x 4' handypanel of 1/8" hardboard for the back panels. I spent more on spray paint and clear coat than I did mdf.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210626_185933506.jpg Views:	0 Size:	534.9 KB ID:	1474945

I don't have a planer so ran the boards vertically through my table saw to reduce the bottom profile, leaving just enough so the tongue and groves would hold with some Titebond III wood glue.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210626_190002396.jpg Views:	0 Size:	226.9 KB ID:	1474946

Stained it with some leftover stain and satin polyurethane. Used Krylon ColorMaxx satin black and satin clear coat. Cut some holes in the back for wires and heat dissipation. And got a little creative with the dividers. Bun feet were the cheapest $2.78 ones I could find at Lowes. Pretty happy with how it ended up. Now I just need to build myself something nice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210818_222959643.jpg Views:	0 Size:	291.1 KB ID:	1474947

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210818_223009666.jpg Views:	0 Size:	270.8 KB ID:	1474948

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210818_223015578.jpg Views:	0 Size:	266.5 KB ID:	1474949

Nice job
    craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Very nice looking unit. From leftovers.

Comment

Jumping from the 2nd picture to the 3rd picture I expected the text to say "But it didn't work, so I went out and bought this fancy stand".

Very nice.

Comment

• a4eaudio
          a4eaudio commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL, Thanks!

Mate that's very nice. I bet your son is happy!

No such thing as leftovers....just smaller stock!

Comment

Nicely done, Dave!
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Hey that's really cool looking. The routed-in record feature is very clever and well executed.
            Hmm, I have some left-over hardwood flooring...

TomZ
            Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
            *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

That thing turned out so well - it is brilliant!

Comment

Well done!

Comment

Working...
                X