A little project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little project.

I bought the two Dayton MCWA60 Bluetooth amps from Kevin K. Received quickly, professionally packed. I have these Norcal Recession Buster TMs from a few years ago. Wasting away under the bed. The amp just fits. I cut the proper holes and substituted wedge foam for the big wad of poly. The amp takes up most of the space, along with the woofer and xo. Stay tuned for results. I'll buy a Nobsound chip sub amp and use it with one of the passive subs wasting away under the bed, if the project turns out good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001 (32).JPG
Views:	662
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	1477276 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002 (15).JPG
Views:	636
Size:	452.5 KB
ID:	1477277

Name:	IMG_0001 (33).JPG
Views:	636
Size:	486.3 KB
ID:	1477283 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002 (16).JPG
Views:	617
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	1477284 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003 (11).JPG
Views:	627
Size:	453.1 KB
ID:	1477285

Beauty shot tomorrow, counter is a mess. Sounds fine.

Comment

What are the exterior dimensions, man?

They do look nice!

I wish I moved as fast as you did on this project - I constantly vacillate in my shop and overthink every move because I have consumed entirely too much information and opinions for far too long . . .

Comment

• djg
        djg commented
        Editing a comment
        10"H x 7"W x 7.5"D. All unobtanium now. Quite small for a sealed 5 1/4". Nice bass response. Super high quality HDF covered with paper wood picture. One of those things, everything fit and now an amp just fit also.

Wow, you didn't waste any time making use of the amp. Cool looking little project, hope it works out for you.
      My "No-Name" CC Speaker
      Kerry's "Silverbacks"
      Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
      The Archers
      Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
      The Gandalf's

Comment

These are a project from years ago using a buyout Peerless woofer and a very nice M&K surround cab being liquidated. Several people designed XOs, I used Jeff Bagby's XO. I made a few pairs, gave some as gifts.

All I did today was cut a hole and drill another hole, then mount the amp and LED indicator.

Comment

You are a machine. I wish I could complete half the projects you do.

What did you use to cover the LED's?

I actually bought my wife​​ a sign this weekend that states "When a man says he will get around to something he will. There is no need to remind him every six months".

I still have a set of the Cambridge buyout inwall speakers with the xovers Zaph designed sitting under the bed.

Comment

• djg
            djg commented
            Editing a comment
            The amp kit includes a tinted plexiglas cover, 7/8" dia. Luckily I have a 7/8" forstner bit from another project. It's the black circle in pic #1, post #2. Again, these speaker were already built, I just hacked one up for the amp install. From a practical POV, a modern 2.0 or 2.1 chipamp has more for less money, save for the cool factor of an active speaker. The used price and having a pair of TMs to fit the amp influenced this project.

I have stuff under my bed too.

PE has a new version of this unit, backordered of course, and expensive compared to a stand alone chip amp.

• djg
            djg commented
            Editing a comment
            I can't scroll down to edit my previous comment. The current version of this unit IS in stock and on sale.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton...uetoot-300-781

• davidroberts
            davidroberts commented
            Editing a comment
            I also have an OS center, Apollo kit and a couple more that I haven't got around to building. I may need to put source them to you.

Name:	IMG_0001 (34).JPG
Views:	549
Size:	446.4 KB
ID:	1477342 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002 (17).JPG
Views:	546
Size:	442.4 KB
ID:	1477343

Comment

I had a xover for the NorCals too, simple SXO.
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• djg
              djg commented
              Editing a comment
              IIRC, you, Jeff Bagby and Pete Schumacher simulated XOs. It's really a very nice sounding speaker with good bass for a sealed small box. I'm not sure I'll bother with a sub. I had a pair at work with two Anarchy tapped horn subs as stands. Never listened to them without a sub before now.

Name:	time warp.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1477525

Comment

Working...
            X