ID:	1478087 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSP.JPG
Views:	1314
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	1478089

Leave a comment:

• Steve Lee
    replied
    Watching this one for sure - good looking set-up.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Very nice work. A friend with a CNC is a friend indeed.

Looking at that Epique sub magnet, are you going to put in T nuts or other inserts, or just long wood screws to mount the sub?

Pricey little suckers. How will you use these? And, show us your amps?

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Nice looking design Nate! I was waiting for someone here to do a design with the new Epique subs.

Quick question... I modeled that driver with that same PR and although it did model fine, it just seemed that the PR wasn't moving much at all. I think I saw like 2-3 mm at the most. I modeled at a reasonable wattage since it would be used as a woofer in a two-way instead of a true subwoofer setup... but it seemed like the PR was REALLY loafing even at near driver Xmax. Wondering what you came up with and if your design has your PR loafing along as well. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• Kevin K.
    replied
    Cool looking project! I hadn't run the sims to confirm but was guessing the racetrack PR from SB might be a good match with the new Epique drivers. Jeff Bagby and Rick Craig used the same PR on a couple of their designs in the same fashion. Looking forward to seeing how the DSP works out for you using the ADAU1701 and Sigma, I'm currently working on a small set of desktops and was planning to DSP with the same stuff. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• silverD
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DXT-MAX 8.JPG
Views:	1371
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	1478064

Name:	DXT-MAX 9.JPG
Views:	1398
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	1478063

Leave a comment:

• silverD
    replied

Name:	DXT-MAX 4.JPG
Views:	1381
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	1478060

Name:	DXT-MAX 5.JPG
Views:	1366
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	1478061

Name:	DXT-MAX 6.JPG
Views:	1375
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	1478059

Name:	DXT-MAX 7.JPG
Views:	1384
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	1478058

Leave a comment:

• silverD
    replied

Name:	DXT-MAX 1.JPG
Views:	1382
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	1478054 Click image for larger version

Name:	DXT-MAX 2.JPG
Views:	1387
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	1478056

Name:	DXT-MAX 3.JPG
Views:	1380
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	1478055

Leave a comment:

• silverD
    started a topic DXT-MAX - Small active monitors

DXT-MAX - Small active monitors

This project pulls inspiration from several designs that utilize the SEAS DXT tweeter which is known to have excellent directivity. I chose to pair the DXT with the new Epique E150HE-44 in the Denovo knock-down 0.23 ft^3 cabinets. After a short break in, the woofers model similarly to the published specs in the small cabinet with a f3 near 40Hz. Porting these speakers was going to be a difficult task, so I looked to a passive radiator. Finding a PR with enough Sd that also fit the cabinet dimensions wasn't trivial, but I took a cue from another recent design that utilized a large Xmax driver in Denovo knock-down cabinet and chose the SB15SFCR-00. It essentially uses the full rear baffle. Instead of using the knock-down baffles, I glued up 2 pieces of 18mm baltic birch. Inspired by the trapezoidal chamfers of the Heissmann Acoustics DXT-MON, I built a taper jig to provide the ~7 degree angle I needed when I cut the 30 degree chamfers. CADing the baffle helped determine the needed angles, but was necessary as I utilized a friend's new CNC to cut the driver rebates once the chamfers were complete. Since the woofer is so inefficient, I felt this would provide me with an opportunity to dabble with active crossovers and utilize some recently assembled class D amplifiers. I'm using the ADAU1701 DSP which is programmed via the SigmaStudio app w/GUI. Armed with an OmniMic, I should have something to tinker with over the winter months. I'm just now gluing the baffles on and plan to get a few coats of shellac on the cabinets before testing. I have 2 layers of butyl sound deadener applied to the sides, tops, and bottoms which will be followed up by a layer of Sonic Barrier and Acousta-Stuf. I was thinking a crossover at 2KHz and level matching would be my starting point, but am open to suggestions. I will have a 25uF cap in series with the DXTs.
    Thanks for looking, I now present the DXT-MAX.....or Epique Fail
    Last edited by silverD; 10-29-2021, 11:36 PM.
Working...
X