Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• randyohoh
    replied
    The PA-165 has a claimed 92.9 efficiency and 5 watts should be enough to annoy anyone in the house and even possibly the neighbors. What a great gift.

Leave a comment:

• billfitzmaurice
    replied
    The porting isn't necessary, as there's very little content below 125Hz with electric guitar. It may very well work better sealed. 5 watts doesn't seem like much, but a friend of mine uses a 5W Supro and it's plenty loud enough in our rehearsal space.

Leave a comment:

• DrewsBrews
    replied
    We initially plugged it in and made sure it worked (I don't have a guitar), but I don't know if she has messed with it or not past that. I just didn't want the lack of an amp to be a barrier to entry.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    What a nice thing to do. A handmade gift is special.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    Looks terrific.
    How's it working out?

Leave a comment:

• DrewsBrews
    started a topic Littlefoot: Footnote practice amp

Littlefoot: Footnote practice amp

I actually completed this over a year ago, but found the pics recently and thought I might post em up.

One of my wife's cousins had graduated high school. She has some learning disabilities so it was a bit of a milestone for her. She had been in the school band and expressed interest in guitar. Another family member gave her a basic electric guitar as a graduation gift, but no amp. I saw the little footnote amp plates and had always wanted to mess with one. Perfect excuse!

The driver is the Dayton PA165-8 6" due to it's high efficiency for it's size, low price, and ability to handle full guitar frequency range if ported. I know ported boxes for guitar is unorthodox, but figured that was a necessary evil for that little driver to dig down to the low E string with only 5 watts max on tap. I don't remember the actual dimensions, but I believe I tuned it for 80hz f3. Hoping the thin plywood will give back some character to the tone.

I built out a box from 1/2" Russian birch ply (was shooting for the eclectic/ old cigar box look). Sprayed with clear water based polyurethane to keep the wood grain somewhat muted. The amp plate is in it's own enclosure separate from the driver. I sectioned off a spot behind the amp for a tray as a convenient spot to store the power supply, short guitar cable (if wrapped instead of coiled I suppose), picks etc. I backed the front of the speaker section with an extra chunk of plywood to get the extra depth needed for port length and give some more meat for the driver screws to hang onto. After all.. the magnet on this little driver is impressively beefy and likely is half of the total weight of the whole thing!

Click image for larger version  Name:	tPT50wt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.1 KB ID:	1480186

Click image for larger version  Name:	4jy8LqB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.1 KB ID:	1480187

Click image for larger version  Name:	Vlepunx.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.3 KB ID:	1480188
    Last edited by DrewsBrews; 12-22-2021, 01:38 PM.
Working...
X