Sunflower Center Channel Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunflower Center Channel Build

I just finished with the crossover , I purchased a pre-printed PCB board on ebay , it made building this a snap and it looks really good too . Click image for larger version

Name:	1229211604.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	739.1 KB
ID:	1480492 Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossover back side Sunflower.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	372.1 KB
ID:	1480494
    Attached Files

Sorry I didn't mean to post the super large pics , I'm just getting used to posting on this forum .

Comment

I'm not picking, just making an observation ...

It looks like you didn't use an iron-core coil for the LARGE (2.0mH?) inductor.
      If you had, orienting it the way you did would be correct. Asit turns out, you have it turned 90* from "optimum".
      Still, it looks VERY nice, and might not be worth changing at this point.

(If that's about a #20 gauge (that BIG coil), its high(er) DCR is more likely altering the speaker's FR than the orientation issue.)

Comment

That's wild. I had no idea there's a PCB for the Sunflower CC. Here I thought it was a sort of obscure design. Wonder if anyone's ever done a Sunflower Redux PCB?
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
          That's wild. I had no idea there's a PCB for the Sunflower CC. Here I thought it was a sort of obscure design. Wonder if anyone's ever done a Sunflower Redux PCB?
          The guy on Ebay has lots of PCB designs . I bought two for the Amigas too ! They are affordable and easy to assemble .

Comment

Ha. Yeah, I decided to look it up on ebay. I don't know who that guy is, but he sounds cool.
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Pretty sure MTG is Matt Grant of DIYSoundGroup fame. He does all of the PCB for them too, AFAIK.
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

No wonder he has odd numbers of nicely done boards for Paul, Curt, and Jeff designs.

I just ordered sets for a pair of Hitmakers, and also Classix II.

I'm going to let our kid see if he prefers one or the other.
                The other set goes in the basement.(something not too pricey, in case basement flooding lasts for days of no power)

Comment

So the speaker is complete except for final finishing of the box , I have it operating now with my system and it sounds very good . Here are some more pics of the build . Click image for larger version

Name:	0104221658.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	512.7 KB
ID:	1481190 Click image for larger version

Name:	0104221615a.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	527.7 KB
ID:	1481191 Click image for larger version

Name:	0104221615.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	521.5 KB
ID:	1481192 Click image for larger version

Name:	0104221658b.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	522.8 KB
ID:	1481193
                  So I did use 3/4" MDF which increased the overall size a bit to keep the interior volume the same . It is a heavy sucker . I have finished it with a maple PSA veneer , I may finish it to match my entertainment center
                  or just black . I'll post more picks of the finished box when I get a chance . Next project is a pair of Amigas to go along with this CC .

Comment

Nice. A flat or satin black baffle on a center channel speaker works for me. Especially if it's immediately below the screen. Less distracting. Or a black grill to cover those HiVi woofers.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                      Nice. A flat or satin black baffle on a center channel speaker works for me. Especially if it's immediately below the screen. Less distracting. Or a black grill to cover those HiVi woofers.
                      I really think black might be the best , like you said less distraction . I do like the look of the drivers , but this may be a decision the wife makes , so maybe a grill .

Comment

Working...
                      X