No announcement yet.

Classic Classix II's

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Returning the bad DC160.

    Does this speaker have a recommended amount of internal stuffing. I've got a good bit of stuffing in there and feeling it may be a bit too much.


    • #17
      Originally posted by joshshetter View Post
      The wood is pine.
      Pine can be tricky to finish. One problem is grain reversal. When staining pine, the earlywood soaks stain while the latewood is denser and soaks less stain, and the result is that the grain ends up being lighter than its surroundings. Another issue is blotching, which happens often with pine. See for a picture of these issues. I'm not advocating their finishing method, though. I'm sure it works, but it seems pretty complex to me.

      I think an oil finish is likely to have the grain reversal and blotching issues.

      One way to finish pine is to leave it unstained, and apply a clear film finish to it. A clear varnish, poly, or laquer would do. An oil based finish will add an amber coloring to the wood. A water based one will not, and leave the wood looking like it is right now. Over time, pine will turn amber on its own as it ages.

      As mentioned earlier, try out any finishing methods on scrap pieces, to see what the final result looks like.


      • joshshetter
        joshshetter commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a heck of a finish procedure, the "finished" result at the end looks quite good though. I don't intend to stain these though. I am testing some things like Danish oil and then a poly coat over top. Does that sound alright? I'm still a little confused about what oils and finishes can be used together. But I won't be able to do much for awhile, it just started snowing here and boy is it cold outside. My poor garage is basically a few degrees warmer and that's it.

      • Hoven
        Hoven commented
        Editing a comment
        My guess would be any oil finish, including Danish Oil, would have grain reversal and blotching. I don't have direct experience with pine, though. Do you see these issues with your test pieces? Ultimately it's up to you if you like the look that Danish Oil brings.

        Danish Oil with a poly coat on top is fine, as long as you let the Danish Oil dry thoroughly. As a general rule, it's ok to put any finish on top of another finish, as long as the first finish is dry. There are exceptions to this rule, though. Here is a nice article about finish compatibility:

    • #18
      Did some measurements today to make sure everything was working right, pretty happy with the results.


      • #19
        Sad day today, I went to put on another coat of poly and noticed that the cabinet has started to pull itself apart already. I guess this is a bit of a costly lesson to learn. I am not really motivated to rebuild these into new cabinets and may attempt to sell the parts.

        Don't make the same mistake I did, stick to MDF/Ply.


        • #20
          Oh no! Is it splitting at the joints, or in the middle of the boards? I have had problems with hardwood splitting on me in the past, as well, and ended up at the same conclusion you did: MDF and ply are the way to go for speakers.
          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

          Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
          Twitter: @undefinition1


          • #21
            It's splitting at joints, I even had L brackets at most of the joints and that didn't hold it. The ports have also detached from the glue and wood. I did some stock on my wood and I do have enough to rebuild them in some nice ply so I'll probably do that. They should be a better build, learned a lot from the pine cabinets. Hoping to get them done together by the end of the week.


            • #22
              Sorry to hear, it would have been great to see the finished cabinets.


              • #23
                Well guess I didn't have enough ply, and going to the store, it's gone up $20 since two weeks ago. I have to admit DIY is just not economically viable at the moment. This project failure has really discouraged me from starting new speakers and finishing what I have. I kind of feel like I've wasted a lot of time and money when I would have been totally happy with many of the commercial pre-made options available. Oh well live and learn. I'm going to toss the parts for these up somewhere but I don't think anyone will be interested.


                • #24
                  Sorry to hear about your issues with this project.


                  • #25
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	osb.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1486947