Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unclejunebug
    replied
    Thanks, Steve, and you are right. I ordered a single 8ft piece of moulding and they ended up sending me six of them haha. The unfortunate thing is, all that moulding was taking up way too much space in my garage so I ended up taking the extra to the dump a few months ago. I did keep two additional pieces of it but I really wish I had all of it back at this point. The extra I kept is enough for two corners and not four.

I am mulling over ways to save what I've got so I'll see how it goes. Due to how big the original box was I spent some time last night going over some new design specs, shrinking the internal volume from 3ft^3 to 2ft^3 but keeping the same overall external design aesthetic. The moulding I have now is 3" radius and a smalle 2" radius might work better with a smaller enclosure so I may end up just ordering some different stuff. If I do I'm happy to send you what I've got for just the shipping. May not be enough to be useful though.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Lee
    replied
    Let me know if you want to sell some of that round-over material, UJB - you have me intrigued and I recall that you wound up with more than you had ordered.

Concerning recycling it - Probably run it through the table saw and then recut the rabbit on a router bench with a straight flute router bit.

Good luck with the project, sir.

Leave a comment:

• unclejunebug
    replied
    I had some time last weekend to start assembling the cabinet. Unfortunately it didn't go together square and it really does feel too large. I'm going back to the drawing board with this build to see how I can reduce the size and maybe salvage the L moulding that's already glued up. Not sure how I'm going to swing that though.

Leave a comment:

• unclejunebug
    replied
    Been wanting to make some progress on this but an impromptu kitchen remodel got in the way and now it's regularly over 100° in my garage here in the Sacramento area. I tried making some progress yesterday afternoon but it feels like I'm standing in an oven.

Leave a comment:

• unclejunebug
    replied
    Originally posted by saabracer23 View Post
    That means everything is going as planned. It will always look bigger in real life than you’d imagine. I don’t think I’ve ever had a cabinet end up being smaller than I thought.

Dan
    Ha, you're probably right. What initially threw me was I drew out the outline on a piece of poster board and placed that on top of my current sub. The new one dwarfs the old one by a fair amount.

Leave a comment:

• saabracer23
    replied
    That means everything is going as planned. It will always look bigger in real life than you’d imagine. I don’t think I’ve ever had a cabinet end up being smaller than I thought.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• unclejunebug
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DD5F2F62-4A5A-4D1C-8EC4-5E582095ADD4.jpeg
Views:	235
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	1485631I got the corner moulding and side pieces cut. Dry fit looks good, albeit a little larger than I was envisioning.

Leave a comment:

• unclejunebug
    replied
    I requested to keep all the material I've been shipped so far rather than deal with the manufacturer a third time. I got the all clear so I now have a crap load of this moulding but at least I can get started

Leave a comment:

• unclejunebug
    replied
    I'm still in a holding pattern here due to materials. Looks like the product I ordered drop ships from the manufacturer which is fine and fairly common. I received a shipment about 12 das ago and the product looks good. Unfortunately they shipped me someone else's order. I ordered one 8' piece of the L moulding cut into fourths which made shipping very reasonable. What I received was the three 8' foot lengths of the same moulding cut into thirds along with an invoice not intended for me.

I notified the company I ordered from about the shipping problem and they said what would likely happen is that there would be a pickup issued for what I received and my order would have to be shipped out again from the manufacturer. Fine, not a huge deal as I'm not a cabinet shop trying to hit a deadline. I've had a bit of back and forth waiting to hear what was going to happen and today, without any notification, I received another shipment from the manufacturer. Wouldn't you know it, they shipped me the same three 8' lengths cut into thirds.

Leave a comment:

• unclejunebug
    replied
    Well, I decided to give them a shot and ordered a 3" radius L corner. Their ordering process is a bit of a hassle but they do seem more geared towards cabinet shops rather than someone like me who only needs a single 8' piece of molding. I also ordered the walnut veneer and a few other supplies from veneersupplies. I have the sub and amp so once all the building supplies arrive I can get started!

Leave a comment:

• unclejunebug
    replied
    Originally posted by Jakes_dad View Post
    I'm still stalled here but I've come to the conclusion that this "L" corner is my best option. Has anyone ever ordered from this particular site? Originally I was hoping for a pretty large round-over and they have a 3" radius option available. The shipping is also reasonable if they can ship the 8' molding cut into fourths which is what I'd be doing anyways.

Leave a comment:

• unclejunebug
    replied
    I came across that MDF L moulding while searching around. It seems like a good solution except for that pesky shipping charge! Shipping for a single 8' section is about $100 on the site I found. More than double the cost of the moulding itself :(

It's also manufactured to accept 3/4" plywood which I believe is slightly smaller than 3/4" MDF, though I could be wrong about that.

Leave a comment:

• Jakes_dad
    replied
    This:

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    Some have done large edge radii using "quarter-round" molding.

Leave a comment:

• unclejunebug
    replied
    Originally posted by anunnaki View Post
    It looks like you have a solid plan at this point.
    I believe I do, though I have stalled a bit as I may need to rethink how to construct the corners. I was planning to laminate some MDF strips together and then use a 2" round-over bit. However, a bit that large is hard to find and rather expensive, the one I have come across is about $170 and I'm not sure it's worth it for just this project.

I'm currently mulling over constructing them with a translam approach but that's going to require me to radius the corner of about 107 2.5"x2.5" pieces of MDF. Not sure how I feel about that haha.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X