New MTM designs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New MTM designs?

Greetings all, I'm returning to DIY speaker building after a 10+ hiatus due to kids (those things require a lot of time and money, the kids I mean). I've built a few iterations of the TriTrix and Aviatrix designs, and want to give myself an excuse to head back to the garage for some building time. Lots of designs from PE and other websites, and designers (Kurt, Zaph, etc), that I used to know have moved on and drivers have been discontinued (RS28A etc). I've gone through many pages and searches of the PE forum now, and haven't seen what I'm looking for. Hoping the forum members here can point me at some vetted designs.

GOAL: Stereo pair of slimmer MTM towers for the living room in a smallish but open floor plan house, doesn't need high output, but a wide listening zone and tight midbass are priorities. I have a small but potent ported sub to handle the lowest octave and I'm not going for home-theater level bass needs. No Center channel needed. I'm familiar with enclosure building and crossover assembly, but wouldn't dare try to design anything myself.

I like the midbass of my Aviatrix HT setup downstairs, but to be frank, the ND drivers have always just looked ugly to me. I LOVE the appearance of Dayton RS series mids, but a lot of the designs I've seen so far (e.g. the TM Amiga) use the RS225. I'm hoping to use the RS150 or RS180 (either paper or aluminum) for a narrower baffle. Height and depth aren't an issue, just trying to keep the width in check for WAF. I like the idea of the wide dispersion, power handling and extra low/mid of an MTM with the smaller woofers, but not absolutely committed to that arrangement.

The recent searches in the PE forum for similar designs will frequently lead to old designs with drivers that are no longer available, so I'm hoping for some designs with known availability, supply chain issues not withstanding. I'm in no hurry to build, so I'm not referring to backordered stuff.

Thanks for any help.

Whoops! I meant to put this in the TechTalk subforum. Mods, feel free to move if appropriate.

Comment

Don't worry, they(the mods) will move it eventually.

Anyway, the Amigas use the 180, not the 225, and if you use a high-pass on them with the sub, they will play louder than your sub can keep up with.

They are very nice, and their dispersion pattern should complement an open plan nicely.

Look at Paul's gallery, they are beautiful with a bold veneer.

Comment

Not new but very nice. Originally shielded RS150 metal, but you can use the plain RS150. Sealed vented or towers. Seas tweeters.

http://www.eldamar.net/audio/RS150MTM/

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...jd-s-abourious

Comment

TMM but very narrow, gobs of bass. Pricey.

https://sites.google.com/site/undefi.../speedster-tmm

Comment

DIYSG has the Paul Carmody S2000 TM and MTM, proprietary 4" carbon fiber woofer. Excellent sound but you'll need to make your own tower cabs.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
              Not new but very nice. Originally shielded RS150 metal, but you can use the plain RS150. Sealed vented or towers. Seas tweeters.

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...jd-s-abourious
              Ah, I saw that one, but PE didn't have the Seas tweeter so I thought they had been discontinued. Turns out they are available elsewhere, so that might fit the bill.

Comment

PE has never sold Seas products except from buyouts.
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

If you like Curt's designs, suggest you contact him and ask about his "Slapshots" MTMs: RS180Ps, Morel CAT378. Are available as a kit through Rhythm Audio Designs in Canada but Curt may share the details with you.

https://rhythmaudiodesign.com/produc...ot-mtm-speaker

We've had them 6 years or so, love them

Geoff
                  Last edited by Geoff Millar; 02-09-2022, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveDoctor View Post
                    Greetings all, I'm returning to DIY speaker building after a 10+ hiatus due to kids (those things require a lot of time and money, the kids I mean). I've built a few iterations of the TriTrix and Aviatrix designs, and want to give myself an excuse to head back to the garage for some building time. Lots of designs from PE and other websites, and designers (Kurt, Zaph, etc), that I used to know have moved on and drivers have been discontinued (RS28A etc). I've gone through many pages and searches of the PE forum now, and haven't seen what I'm looking for. Hoping the forum members here can point me at some vetted designs.

GOAL: Stereo pair of slimmer MTM towers for the living room in a smallish but open floor plan house, doesn't need high output, but a wide listening zone and tight midbass are priorities. I have a small but potent ported sub to handle the lowest octave and I'm not going for home-theater level bass needs. No Center channel needed. I'm familiar with enclosure building and crossover assembly, but wouldn't dare try to design anything myself.

I like the midbass of my Aviatrix HT setup downstairs, but to be frank, the ND drivers have always just looked ugly to me. I LOVE the appearance of Dayton RS series mids, but a lot of the designs I've seen so far (e.g. the TM Amiga) use the RS225. I'm hoping to use the RS150 or RS180 (either paper or aluminum) for a narrower baffle. Height and depth aren't an issue, just trying to keep the width in check for WAF. I like the idea of the wide dispersion, power handling and extra low/mid of an MTM with the smaller woofers, but not absolutely committed to that arrangement.

The recent searches in the PE forum for similar designs will frequently lead to old designs with drivers that are no longer available, so I'm hoping for some designs with known availability, supply chain issues not withstanding. I'm in no hurry to build, so I'm not referring to backordered stuff.

Thanks for any help.
                    I was kind of in the same boat.
                    I built a complete Tritrix HT 5.1 system when the flat-packs first became available(Has it been 10 years?), 2) TL's, a sealed center and MT surrounds. It was great at the time, but when Curt came out w/ the Aviatrices I scratch built(no flat-packs then) a frt. row of MT's that replaced the LCR Tritrices. Over time, I gave the sealed TT's away, but since I always liked Curt's TL boxes and the upper bass and mid-bass they produced, I used the sm towers where-ever there was a need and even if I didn't have a garage, I hung on to them.
                    About a year ago I got back on the speaker kit building kick and started re-thinking my systems and started with a pr. of Carmody S2000 MT's. (What a great value kit!) Then I did the rocking little Passive Aggressives for surrounds.
                    Now the reason for this back story is to tell how I ended up w/ 2 Trtrix TL's and 3 of the Aviatrices that I'm not using.
                    Don't get me wrong, I love my Aviatrices and they have provided solutions to hard placement situations (Corners, cubbyholes, etc.), but there is something about the ND140 woofers that never completely let one forget these are alum. cones.
                    So here's what I ended up doing.
                    I installed CJD's MTM driver set and X-over into the TLs. Usually, when do these Frankenspeaker mash-ups, they turn out badly, but this time, thing worked out well(perhaps staying all Dayton helped). The Reference woofers love the TL cabs and there was little doubt that the RS28F's crossed over @ 1800 Hz. would sing, and these are far and away the best pr. of speakers this poor boy has ever owned.
                    The DC130 holes had to be opened up about an 1/8th of an inch (the reference series is sized small) and dropping the RS 28's into the DC28 recesses leaves about an 1/8th inch gap that needs to be filled. Now this leaves some cosmedic issues, but not in my case. I use "speaker socks", a fabric covering recycled from a pr. of Definitive Technology towers that I only use for their sub enclosures.
                    So even if recycling old speakers isn't for you, I thought you might find it interesting what some crazy person has done with some stuff that you are familiar with.
                    I named it The Audiotrix

Comment

Originally posted by davidB View Post

Or not.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
                      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

• djg
                        djg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        As soon as they eradicate the spammers.

Would it be acceptable for me to ask those of you that have experience with Avatrix MTM (sealed) builds a few questions about the sound signature? I'm looking into building a set of MTM's for relative nearfield listening Maybe 1.5 to 2 meters out from my listening position but I have just piles of speakers and DIY builds so I'd rather ask some questions rather than add yet another pair of speakers to my horde ;)

I don't want to thread crap so I'll stand by to see if anyone is still watching or willing.

Thanks,

John

Comment

You'll get far more exposure for your question if you do as the OP here admittedly should have done, "put this in the TechTalk subforum."

Yeah, and Godot will arrive, eventually.
                        www.billfitzmaurice.com
                        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Working...
                        X