Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton Audio DS270-8 & Peerless DA32TX00-08 Two-Way

Hi all,

I figured since several of you helped me with this latest design and really taught me a lot, here is the finished product.

Click image for larger version  Name:	7D6A51B1-15A7-4591-A542-38025E502539.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	761.9 KB ID:	1482762

I’ve been a carpenter since I was 5, and have built anything from birdhouses to rocking chairs to two story 2.5 car garages. So, speakers come easy, at least the wood. Getting a grip on real crossover design was another story ;)

Cheers.

Looks great, but there's no real (good) reason not to have the 2 drivers nearly touching.

Comment

• zinger084
      zinger084 commented
      Editing a comment
      noted for future builds; however, i've always preferred to brace the baffle with a front-to-back stiffener between the tweeter and woofer due to it's reduced structural integrity at this location

Looks great to me!

Comment

Looks good. Is that solid wood or veneer, that grain is nice?

Comment

• zinger084
        zinger084 commented
        Editing a comment
        as much as i love solid wood, i did veneer. i'm meticulous about matching the front wrapping up and over the top, so it looks as close as you can get to being real.

Lovely.

It's a great woofer for those not offended by steel frames.
      Works well in quite a range of volumes/alignments.

Comment

They look very good and that tweeter is probably perfect for a low crossover frequency. I'd be curious to see your crossover schematic, as I tried a similar design with the DSA version and a RST28 and I couldn't get it to sound right, despite the sim looking OK.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossover Final.JPG
Views:	514
Size:	523.9 KB
ID:	1482985

Click image for larger version

Name:	REW.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	1482986

Comment

Nice job. If you get a circle jig and plunge router you can flush mount the drivers and port. If you think you might build more.

Comment

• zinger084
              zinger084 commented
              Editing a comment
              i've rabbited them before, but it's a pain with veneer. i think they align better phase-wise on the surface mount in this instance IMO.

That's a good looking pair...
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I love the veneer, and it looks great with the other woods around it. How do you like the sound, and how would you describe the sound signature? Glenn.

Comment

• zinger084
                zinger084 commented
                Editing a comment
                at first, i thought they sounded very flat, but after purposely letting them run at a pretty high volume for a few days, they have broken in. when i sit in front of them, maybe 2.5m away, about 15 off axis, i can hear separation i have never heard in a song before. my dad tells me they literally sound like you're at a concert and they are actively mixing it... so i have to think they are good.

the thing is... i want to fix my other 2 5-channel sets now that i can simulate and properly design a crossover! my wife hates that all the rooms have to be designed around speakers!

• Drummer
                Drummer commented
                Editing a comment
                That's great! When you like them, and you have other ears digging them, success. My friends think that I'm obsessive about audio, but a few of them love to come listen to their favorite music on my systems, and my girlfriend loves the big horns in my bedroom. Hopefully your wife will appreciate the higher level audio, and will get hooked too. Glenn.
            Working...
            X