My First Ported 2-Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Ported 2-Way

These were designed with the Diyaudiovideo.com calculators. It recommended .09cf enclosure with 1x4.5" port for a tuning of 70hz. I ended up with .086cf and used the PE 1x4" flared port. Crossover are cheap Chinese 3200hz 12db slope that seem to work ok. Tweeters are peerless 3/4 silk domes that are within 1db of the mid woofers. They sound great with much more bass than I was expecting. I want to upgrade the tweeter to another peerless 1" and pad them down to match the woofer. I am wondering how much improvement I would hear if I replaced those and upgrade the crossovers to some Dayton off the self 4ohm HP/LP and what configuration would work best.... Any thoughts?....Help?

Originally posted by Radishmcadish View Post
    These were designed with the Diyaudiovideo.com calculators. It recommended .09cf enclosure with 1x4.5" port for a tuning of 70hz. I ended up with .086cf and used the PE 1x4" flared port. Crossover are cheap Chinese 3200hz 12db slope that seem to work ok. Tweeters are peerless 3/4 silk domes that are within 1db of the mid woofers. They sound great with much more bass than I was expecting. I want to upgrade the tweeter to another peerless 1" and pad them down to match the woofer. I am wondering how much improvement I would hear if I replaced those and upgrade the crossovers to some Dayton off the self 4ohm HP/LP and what configuration would work best.... Any thoughts?....Help?
    Enclosure's are 3/4" solid red oak with 1/2" sonic barrier on all interior walls.

Comment

drivers? (PE part#s are least ambiguous) - looks like a TCP to me, but which one?

Comment

• Radishmcadish
        Radishmcadish commented
        Editing a comment
        You're correct TCP115-4 and Peerless DX20BF00-04.
        Thanks for looking!

tom_s on this forum perfected a series crossover for that combination of drivers.
      Check out the link.
      https://techtalk.parts-express.com/f...-monitor/page4

Comment

• Radishmcadish
        Radishmcadish commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I read through the whole post. You might have just inspired me to build my own. I don't know anything about design so this will get me started.

Nothing wrong with that tweeter, really (great match for a $12 woofer, eh?).
      Here's mine, with an MDT-44.

Comment

• Radishmcadish
        Radishmcadish commented
        Editing a comment
        These do sound really good although the price went up to 14.50 it's still a good speaker for the price. I do like the DX20, but I think my cheap crossover is holding them back. I'm gonna try to build the TomS designed series crossover.

I've also tried the BC25S-04, and that just sound more full to me. What about the peerless NE25VTS? with a sensitivity of 91.3 what would I have to modify to make that tweeter work, and would it be similar to BC25. The NE25 would drop right in. I probably upgrade the crossovers first before changing to the NE25.

I think once you've heard these w/a "custom" (and proven) XO, you'll have pretty much heard this woofer as good as it can get.
      After that, move up to a larger/better woofer (and box, and wallet).
      Have fun.

Comment

Working...
      X