Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick snapshot of AeroVol mostly complete.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick snapshot of AeroVol mostly complete.

Here is a simplistic timeline in pictures of a 1.5 year project on my first set of 3 ways. Starting in February of '21 and from a sketch that was more organic in shape and form. Modelled in Fusion 360 and VituixCAD, along with a few other experiments in software along the way).

I have toyed with single driver units before. But I thought I'd go full pull here, and I'm pretty pleased with the results.

I have yet to do a more open-air measurement - or one up on the stand as when I was measuring them before crossover build with the base at 5' off the ground - thank goodness there's a forklift in here! (pics somewhere out there in another thread). But I do see that the 300Hz null is there as discovered in my original measurements, through the modelling in VituixCad, and remaining.

These all sealed units with volumes calculated and checked for reference against the PE volume numbers. I went with sealed because it removed the need to do additional modelling around vents, passive radiators, and, most importantly, messing around with fill. So thereno fill in any cavity - except for the sand that is encased within both the upper and lower stems. Because damping in the right places is sexy.

Drivers are all Morel; the 338-104, 638ND, and the UW1258. I must have been not quite paying attention when I first went purchased the drivers, because the 638ND was originally a Morel TSCW 636 Titanium Supreme. Then when I got to doing some other testing, I was looking at the EBP and realized that the TSCW really, by the numbers and my level of knowledge, wants a vented enclosure. So much for just buying the most expensive one! Crossovers modelled at ~250Hz and ~3750Hz.

Cabinets are CNC'd MDF done in 1.5" slabs (or glued 3/4" slabs when MDF got scarce) The walls are variable, but about 1.5" thick on the sub. The only resonance I hear as I type this are the resonances of the instruments(!). Some of this time taken was all because I was also learning the CNC machine.

I decided on an external crossover, again for my learning experience and peace of mind in not having to remove the drivers every time I wanted to mod the crossover. With that, I decided to connect the crossover's to the speakers through some GR Research's "Its definitely not the tails off the end of the Kimber Kable" cable (quotes are mine - I'm just trying to be funny) - just because its pretty and because I could wrap the sub lines inside the mid/tweet lines. Other quick note there is that there seemed to be more resistance in this fancy wire than in the 10(?) Guage pure copper (I think from PE 5-6 years ago but has zero tarnish). Lets avoid the whole cable discussion. I bought it because its pretty AND works.

The paint job is custom automotive with gold flake. And when these are bought, I may get them totally re-done. Because the painter, somehow, didn't sand/prime some spots around the sub driver/underneath (slightly infuriating...but I guess I can't expect if I don't inspect? Or don't trust a painter who doesn't wear a mask when he's sanding...maybe both. But also, godamnit.)

These are reproducible. Now that I know whats up, I would put the crossovers inside and a couple of cool looking plates on the back of the lower vertical leg for Bi-Amping so people can figure out their own cable situation.

Overall, I think it's time to button these bad-boys up and see if there is anyone who actually wants to buy em. That will involve going to the local stereo shops. Maybe getting some ears on these before soldering the crossovers(?).

All this is part a larger play on creating super high quality (neigh, bespoke luxury) acoustic art. And avoiding the whole retail channel game. I don't have the backing, or desire, to get into the retail channel keystoning game. I could be wrong, but I think that there is a better way than just doubling prices to build a business. I want to get value to people, make awesome art, work with the best in the field, employ and teach others, and build a profitable business. But that's a business discussion for another channel. And if you're a person that knows that end, I'd definitely love to hear from you in a private message.

I don't know what else to throw at you on this one. I'm always open to input, and am hoping these at least get sold so I can get the company going and work with some real experts while I source high end clients who want absolutely custom pieces for their homes, businesses, and properties. It's time to do something rediculous.

My requests of knowledge from this right now are: how "flat" phase can realistically get with a speaker? Is 300Hz a baffle step loss location? That dip is bugging me even though its not super visible by how I've scaled the images.

Anything I've missed and should be included here? What can I do better? You all know a great deal, so I'm sure that there is more for me to learn on this. And its appreciated!
    Last edited by AllisterMcRae; 08-06-2022, 08:10 PM.

A better look at the measurements in a confined space. And some follow ups.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Phenomenal!

Comment

Wow outstanding parts design and machining! Beautiful, sophisticated, truly outstanding!

Comment

Wow! Really nice execution. Hope we get to hear them someday.
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
              Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Those are amazing. I love the aeronautical feel of them... very reminiscent of wing and jet engine design. The execution of the cabinetry is nearly beyond comprehension, and to me the best art is functional. Looking at your measurements, these truly are.

Having seen preview shots of them elsewhere, I'd no idea of their size and expected they'd be considerably smaller. The scale of the effort simply impresses me all the more. My hat is off.

Comment

Working...
                X