• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
"nd90"
Clear All

Re: Jim Griffin's Aura T-line 2-way

Originally posted by Misch View Post
    thanks Wolf.

Though I do have another question (for anyone), the part#260-321 for the port doesn't show up anymore. Is there an equivalent part or should I just look for a 1.875 ID tube?
    This is the one.
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=260-476

I have gathered parts and am preparing to build a pair as well.

As for alternate enclosures, using traditional bass reflex enclosures you get just about the best results running between 3.5 to 4.5 liters per woofer (so 7 to 9 liters in this case) at tune to between 50 and 60 Hz. With this woofer, I believe that the TL is a better option unless you simply cannot use a tower speaker. I've had a pair of these running full range as high as 5 liters tuned to 45Hz with good results, however going that big produced an audible dip in bass response between 55 and 80 Hz. Just so that you know, I'm using the Dayton ND90-8 which is just about as close a match to the original Aura NS3 as you can get. The current NS3 does not have quite as good low bass response as the one originally used in this design.

Comment

Originally posted by kelv View Post
      I didnt know Dayton has a replacement of Aura NS3.
      May I know how to tell between the 'original' and 'current' Aura NS3?
      Not sure, Zaph talks about it on his site in the small driver test, you may find an change date there. The ND90-8 is considered a drop-in for the Aura NS3 (8 ohm). Though, from the testing I have seen regarding this driver, it seems to be more like the original than the current. That's not to say that the current NS3 will not work in this build, it's just that the bass extension will not be exactly the same.

Comment

Originally posted by lostboy77 View Post
        This is the one.
        http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=260-476

I have gathered parts and am preparing to build a pair as well.

As for alternate enclosures, using traditional bass reflex enclosures you get just about the best results running between 3.5 to 4.5 liters per woofer (so 7 to 9 liters in this case) at tune to between 50 and 60 Hz. With this woofer, I believe that the TL is a better option unless you simply cannot use a tower speaker. I've had a pair of these running full range as high as 5 liters tuned to 45Hz with good results, however going that big produced an audible dip in bass response between 55 and 80 Hz. Just so that you know, I'm using the Dayton ND90-8 which is just about as close a match to the original Aura NS3 as you can get. The current NS3 does not have quite as good low bass response as the one originally used in this design.
        Thanks for the info. My questions weren't so much about the enclosure type but a desire to find a mtm setup for HT/music duty. I had Zaph's slimlines built but they did not work well in my setup (though they are great as computer speakers). So my thinking was to use Jim's crossover with a HT receiver crossed at 80hz or so, and with that being said, having the full tower seemed unnecessary. But I could build the towers anyways since that is all the fashion nowadays... tall, slim, svelte, sexy :D

I do have 4 of the original NS3 and 4 ND90. Once I get to this project I will try to test them all with my WT3 and post the results, since it is a question that comes up regularly.

Comment

Looks like a great project but I have a question: The Dayton ND90 is supposed to be the same or very close replacement for the aura driver used in the T-Lines, How about using the Dayton ND91 which is the deal of the day. Looks like a higher quality driver (spec wise). Would it improve anything (power handling....FR) or would it change everything (xover). Thnx BobC

Comment

Working...
          X