Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2-way: Usher 8945P Mid woofer / Peerless HDS 810921 Tweeter (dthomas design)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-way: Usher 8945P Mid woofer / Peerless HDS 810921 Tweeter (dthomas design)

Since we have a gallery, so, for archival purposes, here is a repost of my 2:way that I built a few years ago and still sounds so good. Just ignore my woodworking skills. Dave designed everything around the Usher that I picked up during its sale that PE runs periodically for $77.00, as opposed to $110.00. He wanted to see how the new Peerless HDS tweeter stood up to crossing low because he hadn't heard it yet...you're welcome, it was NOT on sale. Oh well, I wanted to step out from only making a few BR1 kits, and I had already done a couple of variations and do a higher-end speaker. Dave's original modeled x-o (with a whopping 9 components) still left it way too bright in accomodating the rising response of the HDS tweeter. After dropping in different resistors and hours of listening to different levels of padding on the tweeter, I think I have settled on 11 Ohms. I have yet to get these measured with this much padding, but they sound nice. Sound very close to the reponse I hear from my Yamaha YH100 headphones. Not at all fatiguing as it was with the 8-ohm - as originally modeled. The FR graphic is for 10-ohms of padding on the tweeter, and it still showed a little rise in response. One of these days I will get it measured again. Thanks go out to Blair for cutting the speaker holes.

Attached Files
    Last edited by panterra; 12-16-2010, 06:33 PM.

Re: 2-way: Usher 8945P Mid woofer / Peerless HDS 810921 Tweeter (dthomas design)

Very nice speakers.

I remember these from the DAC GTG at Paul's house up Dallas way.
    I remember thinking they were a touch bright for my ears, as well. Great bass from a stand-mount speaker.

Dave does real nice work.

Andy.

Comment

Re: 2-way: Usher 8945P Mid woofer / Peerless HDS 810921 Tweeter (dthomas design)

Originally posted by andykriech View Post
      Very nice speakers.

I remember these from the DAC GTG at Paul's house up Dallas way.
      I remember thinking they were a touch bright for my ears, as well. Great bass from a stand-mount speaker.

Dave does real nice work.

Andy.
      He does do nice work. You should have heard how bright they were at Dave's house before padding the tweeter, originally with an 8-Ohm resistor, not the 11-Ohm that you heard at Paul's. One of these GTG at Dave's I hope to get them retested to see what the difference is and how much my hearing has changed as I get older, losing those high frequencies. The FR graph is with the 10 Ohm padding, which shows the rising response.
      Last edited by panterra; 06-03-2011, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by panterra View Post
        He wanted to see how the new Peerless HDS tweeter stood up to crossing low because he hadn't heard it yet...you're welcome, it was NOT on sale.
        Thanks for sharing and the assessment.

At 1500Hz crossover, do you detect any type of distortion from the tweeter when playing at high-ish volumes (cymbal strikes or soprano vocals)?

Comment

Originally posted by raiderone View Post
          Thanks for sharing and the assessment.

At 1500Hz crossover, do you detect any type of distortion from the tweeter when playing at high-ish volumes (cymbal strikes or soprano vocals)?
          Not a bit. These are outstanding tweeters. Although the rising response must be dealt with in the XO. I have seen this combination of drivers used frequently, however, if I was going to do it again, I might used one of the Seas tweeters instead, maybe the 27TDFC. That's a lot of tweeter for half the price.
          Last edited by panterra; 12-18-2010, 12:02 PM.

Comment

The Scan-Speak Discovery D2608/9130 1" Textile Dome HDS Tweeter replaces the Peerless HDS.

https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=1744

Comment

I was impressed with your speakers at the North Texas get together. Very clean, even when the power went up to a level I could not listen to for very long. Nice combination of drivers and Dave's crossover design always seems to excel. The ability to make a great crossover with a small count number is impressive to me. Hope to see you in at the next get together.

Comment

As requested I am uploading the baffle layout.
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice looking speakers...are they going to Paul's next GTG?

Comment

Thanks, they do sound a lot better than they look. I brought them to one a while back but I could bring them again. I missed the last GTG.

Comment

Originally posted by panterra View Post
                      Thanks, they do sound a lot better than they look. I brought them to one a while back but I could bring them again. I missed the last GTG.
                      When is the next GTG?
                      Andy.

Comment

Originally posted by andykriech View Post
                        When is the next GTG?
                        Andy.
                        Just rumblings right now.

Comment

I have the same peerless HDS and have two questions.

1) the soft dome on them got pushed in a little, and got some creases a) does this effect the sound immensely b) do they sell replacements for them?

EDIT: Found these: https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8687

Guessing that would be the replacement.

2) do you think the seas er18 or l18 would be a good woofer to go along with them?

Comment

Originally posted by lcampbell89 View Post
                            I have the same peerless HDS and have two questions.

1) the soft dome on them got pushed in a little, and got some creases a) does this effect the sound immensely b) do they sell replacements for them?

EDIT: Found these: https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8687

Guessing that would be the replacement.

2) do you think the seas er18 or l18 would be a good woofer to go along with them?
                            I am sorry for this late response, I did not see this. i would have to defer to dthomas for any recommendations on driver compatibility - I just assembles 'em.

Comment

Working...
                            X