Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally done with these!! TT MTM TL's, MTM, MT, ONS's...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally done with these!! TT MTM TL's, MTM, MT, ONS's...

Well... my garage is clean once again...thank goodness!! I'd promised to post photos of these builds when I finished.. so here they are!!! In the last month, I've built a custom sub, TT MTM TL's (kit), ONS's, TT MTM ported center, and finally Ported MT's (for surround). While I enjoy this hobby VERY much, I'm quickly learning not to bite off more than I can chew. This was a little much for the time crunch I put myself in. This was mostly in part to the fact that I wanted the garage to the point that we could put our vehicles back in it.. and most of you already know, once you have all the tools out.. just better to finish! Also, I'd like to add that I just replaced my Onkyo 505 with a 708. A bit of a dilemma here.. have just ran the Audyssey and learned that I have the option to add "front high" and "front wide" to my front mains.. sounds interesting.. thinking another pair of TT MT's might be in order!! Also, thinking of New Horizons to round out the 7.1.. (thanks Lunch for the suggestion). I XO'd the rear MT's to Curt's suggestion on the "close to wall" config. VERY PLEASED with the TT's.. but who didn't already know that? (Thank you Mr. Campbell!) I will have a couple postings just to try to show the pics (not up to speed on how to have so many pix on one post??) TT MTM TL's and center were veneered in cherry and stained ebony.. very happy with the outcome (other than a little bit burn from the flush cut bit). MT's are painted the same color as my walls (SW softened green), only in oil satin (about 4 coats) with white grill cloths attached with those dang super magnets PE sells. ONS are white oil, actually the exact same as all my trimwork in the house and I'm currently using these in the bedroom hooked up to an old yamaha receiver.. can u say awesome little speakers?? (thank you Mr. Carmody). Also thanks to Bill Schneider's build thread on these.. used many of his ideas..just don't have the skills that dude posesses!! Feel free to ask any questions or comment on anything.. was very fun, but I'm ready for a break! Thanks to all for the help along the way.. Chris
    Attached Files

Re: Finally done with these!! TT MTM TL's, MTM, MT, ONS's...

More photos.. also.. in regards to the surround MT's.. need your opinions.. TO GRILL OR NOT TO GRILL?? LOL. I haven't made up my mind. Wife likes them on, but I think I'm leaning toward off (gotta show off the goods!).
    Attached Files

Comment

Very nice work. Grills are for protection - up high as they are, I say leave them off.
      Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Henry View Post
        Very nice work. Grills are for protection - up high as they are, I say leave them off.
        They do a good job of covering up those Dayton Classics, which aren't too easy on the eyes. I say leave them on.

Comment

1 for on, 1 for off.. BTW.. can anyone tell me how to post the photos in the post itself? Larger with more clarity? As much time as I spent on finishing these things, would be nice to show them off a little.. thx!

Comment

You've been busy -- nice job. My vote is to leave the grilles off.

About posting the photos:

You'll need to sign up with an image hosting site like Photobucket. They offer a free service, with limited storage. I went for the $3 per month service with no limit on bandwidth or storage.

Once you've created an account, then upload the photos of your speakers. Then you can embed a links to specific photos on the image hosting site. It sounds more difficult than it actually is. Pretty handy for sharing photos...
            Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
            Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
            Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
            Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
            Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
            NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

Comment

Nice work. I love white speakers. I haven't done one in a while. This reminds me that I should.
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
              Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

On the grilles question, putting them on for movies may help simulate additional spaciousness from the rear stage due to the grilles' effect on the FR and time response of the speakers, but aesthetically, I think you should do whatever you're doing for the front and center channel speakers. A consistent look is more valuable to me than having/not having the grilles, unless the grilles are just horrendously acoustically opaque (opposite of 'transparent').
                Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Comment

My man, you are an animal. All of these have been done in the time I've built one little sub (still haven't finished!).

I like the idea of painting the speakers the wall color. My next project is a pair of nano neos and then a single driver speaker in a small cabinet for surrounds. I told my wife I would paint them the same color as the walls.

I like grills on. BTW, any tips on how you made them?

Nice work. Now take a break and enjoy them.

Comment

Funny you mention the Nano Neos.. I've literally spent the last hour reviewing post and threads on these.. def going to do this and the New Horizons next.. after that break you mentioned.. lol Grills were simple as can be.. 1/2 MDF through the table saw, 1/8" shorter on length and width, used a jigsaw to cut 3/4" in from the outside dimensions, then used a 1/4" roundover bit on the router (on all edges except the outside that sits against the speaker). Made a template from cardboard to mark for the magnets on the grill and MT's, then drilled them out with 3/8" bit the depth of the magnet, they recommended 13/32 bit, but I made them to be pressed in. Spray painted them white and used the 3M 77 spray to glue them on. Was much simpler than I had planned and they turned out nice.. and they're still on..lol.. still undecided! OHH.. next time I will use the 13/32 bit, seperated the MDF a hair on one of the corners, too much pressure.. perhaps should have "wollered" the 3/8 bit a little..Good Luck and be sure to share how the Neos turn out! Thanks for the comment!

Comment

IME, this has an amazing positive affect on WAF.

[QUOTE=ericJ;1715127] I told my wife I would paint them the same color as the walls.

QUOTE]
                      I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                      OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                      Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                      Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                      Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                      LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Nice work sir.

AFA posting photos, stay away from photobucket. There are better alternatives these days.

www.imgur.com is hands down better than photobucket. They have amazing free service, and are now offering a paid service as well. You miss nothing of consequence with the free service though. You can create albums, upload photos of any resolution, and the servers are fast - which is something I notice is not the case with photobucket 1/2 the time.
                        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

you can insert the picture in your post after you upload it to the PE site if you don't want to go through the hassle of hosting the image elsewhere. Click the mange attachments button, upload your photo then close the window when the upload is complete, you'll see a hyperlink appear for the photo you just uploaded:

Right click the link and choose copy link location (firefox) or copy shortcut (internet explorer) then in the text of your message type
                          Code:
                          [img]paste copied link here[/img]
                          paste the location of the photo between the img tags and the photo will appear inline.

There is a maximum size, but PE is pretty generous allowing photos.

Hope that helps.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thx for the help on the images... I'll get one of those accounts set up in the next couple of days. Also.. decided on building the TT MTM sealed for the "front wide" section of receiver output. Also have parts on the way for the nano neos.. can't wait for that! I'll add more pix as these projects progress. thx again! Chris

Comment

Ok... gonna give this another shot... went with imgur.com.. Various pics of these builds with a little more clarity!
                              EDIT: Well.. it worked all but the fact that the pix were HUGE... will try again later!..

Johnny.. need u to chime in here.. used that site, re-sized them in the site to 640xwhatever.. and they were still huge.. and when I say huge.. I mean HUGE!

Comment

Working...
                              X