Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

    Originally posted by greywarden View Post
    Wow the GRS from Johnny and this one are $4 different on the BoM! Sounds like a "sound-off" to me! :D

    I noticed that in the test box, the tweeter was centered, and in the final it's offset, is that going to affect the FR any?
    The test box was definitely "quick and dirty" - once I got into playing with Jeff Bagby's Baffle Difraction sim, it was obvious that the tweeter would be a bit smoother if offset. Couple of things in this regard - first, I "forgot" to mirror image the baffles - both tweeters are offset to the left (lol). Second, I'd originally planned for the woofer to be lower on the baffle, but glued in one of the braces in the wrong position, so the woofer ended up centered top to bottom - not the best pos for ripple.

    I'd almost like to ship them to Dayton for the Midwest Audio Fest, but my wife would chew me out every day they would be gone - she likes them that much.

    I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

    High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

    Tangband W6-sub

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

      Thanks everyone for your interest and support. It's a real pleasure to be able to give back to the community!

      I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

      High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

      Tangband W6-sub

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

        Originally posted by donradick View Post
        The test box was definitely "quick and dirty" - once I got into playing with Jeff Bagby's Baffle Difraction sim, it was obvious that the tweeter would be a bit smoother if offset. Couple of things in this regard - first, I "forgot" to mirror image the baffles - both tweeters are offset to the left (lol). Second, I'd originally planned for the woofer to be lower on the baffle, but glued in one of the braces in the wrong position, so the woofer ended up centered top to bottom - not the best pos for ripple.

        I'd almost like to ship them to Dayton for the Midwest Audio Fest, but my wife would chew me out every day they would be gone - she likes them that much.
        Well then, that just makes me want to push my brother in law to build his faster. I know for a fact the drivers get extremely loud with some free air testing I did. Keep in mind the kid is only 17 so having him build stuff like this is a huge learning experience.

        Originally posted by donradick View Post
        Thanks everyone for your interest and support. It's a real pleasure to be able to give back to the community!
        Its a real pleasure getting a design like this to work on.
        Modding the Lepai T-Amp

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

          I "forgot" to mirror image the baffles
          been there done that:o

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

            but Unibox predicted a F3 of 43 Hz with a slightly larger box.
            When I plugged in the numbers I got from the wt3 instead of the factory #s I got an f3 in the mid 50's. Truth is probably somewhere in between.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

              Another pair of Aurbacs coming soon.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by woodtradesman_audio; 04-29-2011, 02:15 AM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

                Very nice, the world needs more affordable projects
                Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

                  Originally posted by woodtradesman_audio View Post
                  Another pair of Aurbacs coming soon.
                  Beautiful crossovers, dude - but are there 3 inductors on those boards? Unless I'm crazy, my crossover had 2 inductors.

                  I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                  "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

                  High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                  SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                  My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

                  Tangband W6-sub

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

                    I believe the pictures show a different tweeter too.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

                      Originally posted by Leroy R View Post
                      I believe the pictures show a different tweeter too.
                      Correct - I used the BC25SC06-04 and Woodsman is showing the BC25SC15-04 - I've no idea whether they are a drop-in replacement.

                      I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

                      High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

                      Tangband W6-sub

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

                        Don, you're not going crazy. There are 3 inductors because Erse did not have in stock anything 1.2mH so I ordered a 1mH iron core and a 0.20hm air core and wired them in series to make the 1.2mH. The BC25SC15-04 was out of stock at Madisound so I grabbed that truncated version which looks to have a similar enough response curve.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

                          Originally posted by woodtradesman_audio View Post
                          Don, you're not going crazy. There are 3 inductors because Erse did not have in stock anything 1.2mH so I ordered a 1mH iron core and a 0.20hm air core and wired them in series to make the 1.2mH. The BC25SC15-04 was out of stock at Madisound so I grabbed that truncated version which looks to have a similar enough response curve.
                          Just a note, the tweeters were out of stock for me too when I ordered them, but they still sent me two with my first order (of 6), and sent me the remaining 4 a week and a half later. Meanwhile, they were still out of stock even after I received them.

                          Erse does seem to have very unpredictable stock levels. Often times if I don't need to make a large order ($200+), I'll just use PE because its a pain in the **** to have to load up a dozen different parts that I need and have half of them be out of stock and have to sit there figuring out which ones to use in parallel to make it work. Just not worth the hassle.
                          Modding the Lepai T-Amp

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

                            X_R, I guess I should have shot Madi an email before ordering but its all good since I like the truncated look.

                            By the way, I slapped the drivers and the crossover in test box and they sound darn good. I specially like the mids on the ns6.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

                              Originally posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
                              Erse does seem to have very unpredictable stock levels. Often times if I don't need to make a large order ($200+), I'll just use PE because its a pain in the **** to have to load up a dozen different parts that I need and have half of them be out of stock and have to sit there figuring out which ones to use in parallel to make it work. Just not worth the hassle.
                              It kinda sucks but Erse at its core is an OEM supplier so If they happen to have what you need its nice to be able to order from them directly since some of their coils and mylar caps can't be had anywhere else (or at the very least I can't find them somewhere else).

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

                                Originally posted by woodtradesman_audio View Post
                                X_R, I guess I should have shot Madi an email before ordering but its all good since I like the truncated look.

                                By the way, I slapped the drivers and the crossover in test box and they sound darn good. I specially like the mids on the ns6.
                                Didn't know you got the tweets from Madi. I got mine from PE.

                                Originally posted by woodtradesman_audio View Post
                                It kinda sucks but Erse at its core is an OEM supplier so If they happen to have what you need its nice to be able to order from them directly since some of their coils and mylar caps can't be had anywhere else (or at the very least I can't find them somewhere else).
                                Mouser.com is a good place to start looking for caps if you need something that's hard to find. Their variety is unbelievable. However, its almost pointless when considering the shipping cost of buying from multiple sites and you can just use other parts in parallel.
                                Modding the Lepai T-Amp

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X