Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
    Wow the GRS from Johnny and this one are $4 different on the BoM! Sounds like a "sound-off" to me! :D

I noticed that in the test box, the tweeter was centered, and in the final it's offset, is that going to affect the FR any?
    The test box was definitely "quick and dirty" - once I got into playing with Jeff Bagby's Baffle Difraction sim, it was obvious that the tweeter would be a bit smoother if offset. Couple of things in this regard - first, I "forgot" to mirror image the baffles - both tweeters are offset to the left (lol). Second, I'd originally planned for the woofer to be lower on the baffle, but glued in one of the braces in the wrong position, so the woofer ended up centered top to bottom - not the best pos for ripple.

I'd almost like to ship them to Dayton for the Midwest Audio Fest, but my wife would chew me out every day they would be gone - she likes them that much.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Thanks everyone for your interest and support. It's a real pleasure to be able to give back to the community!

"As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
        The test box was definitely "quick and dirty" - once I got into playing with Jeff Bagby's Baffle Difraction sim, it was obvious that the tweeter would be a bit smoother if offset. Couple of things in this regard - first, I "forgot" to mirror image the baffles - both tweeters are offset to the left (lol). Second, I'd originally planned for the woofer to be lower on the baffle, but glued in one of the braces in the wrong position, so the woofer ended up centered top to bottom - not the best pos for ripple.

I'd almost like to ship them to Dayton for the Midwest Audio Fest, but my wife would chew me out every day they would be gone - she likes them that much.
        Well then, that just makes me want to push my brother in law to build his faster. I know for a fact the drivers get extremely loud with some free air testing I did. Keep in mind the kid is only 17 so having him build stuff like this is a huge learning experience.

Originally posted by donradick View Post
        Thanks everyone for your interest and support. It's a real pleasure to be able to give back to the community!
        Its a real pleasure getting a design like this to work on.
        Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

I "forgot" to mirror image the baffles
          been there done that:o

Comment

but Unibox predicted a F3 of 43 Hz with a slightly larger box.
            When I plugged in the numbers I got from the wt3 instead of the factory #s I got an f3 in the mid 50's. Truth is probably somewhere in between.

Comment

Another pair of Aurbacs coming soon.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by woodtradesman_audio; 04-29-2011, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Very nice, the world needs more affordable projects
                Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by woodtradesman_audio View Post
                  Another pair of Aurbacs coming soon.
                  Beautiful crossovers, dude - but are there 3 inductors on those boards? Unless I'm crazy, my crossover had 2 inductors.

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I believe the pictures show a different tweeter too.

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy R View Post
                      I believe the pictures show a different tweeter too.
                      Correct - I used the BC25SC06-04 and Woodsman is showing the BC25SC15-04 - I've no idea whether they are a drop-in replacement.

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Don, you're not going crazy. There are 3 inductors because Erse did not have in stock anything 1.2mH so I ordered a 1mH iron core and a 0.20hm air core and wired them in series to make the 1.2mH. The BC25SC15-04 was out of stock at Madisound so I grabbed that truncated version which looks to have a similar enough response curve.

Comment

Don, you're not going crazy. There are 3 inductors because Erse did not have in stock anything 1.2mH so I ordered a 1mH iron core and a 0.20hm air core and wired them in series to make the 1.2mH. The BC25SC15-04 was out of stock at Madisound so I grabbed that truncated version which looks to have a similar enough response curve.
                          Just a note, the tweeters were out of stock for me too when I ordered them, but they still sent me two with my first order (of 6), and sent me the remaining 4 a week and a half later. Meanwhile, they were still out of stock even after I received them.

Erse does seem to have very unpredictable stock levels. Often times if I don't need to make a large order ($200+), I'll just use PE because its a pain in the **** to have to load up a dozen different parts that I need and have half of them be out of stock and have to sit there figuring out which ones to use in parallel to make it work. Just not worth the hassle.
                          Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

X_R, I guess I should have shot Madi an email before ordering but its all good since I like the truncated look.

By the way, I slapped the drivers and the crossover in test box and they sound darn good. I specially like the mids on the ns6.

Comment

Originally posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
                              Erse does seem to have very unpredictable stock levels. Often times if I don't need to make a large order ($200+), I'll just use PE because its a pain in the **** to have to load up a dozen different parts that I need and have half of them be out of stock and have to sit there figuring out which ones to use in parallel to make it work. Just not worth the hassle.
                              It kinda sucks but Erse at its core is an OEM supplier so If they happen to have what you need its nice to be able to order from them directly since some of their coils and mylar caps can't be had anywhere else (or at the very least I can't find them somewhere else).

Comment

X_R, I guess I should have shot Madi an email before ordering but its all good since I like the truncated look.

By the way, I slapped the drivers and the crossover in test box and they sound darn good. I specially like the mids on the ns6.
                                Didn't know you got the tweets from Madi. I got mine from PE.

It kinda sucks but Erse at its core is an OEM supplier so If they happen to have what you need its nice to be able to order from them directly since some of their coils and mylar caps can't be had anywhere else (or at the very least I can't find them somewhere else).
                                Mouser.com is a good place to start looking for caps if you need something that's hard to find. Their variety is unbelievable. However, its almost pointless when considering the shipping cost of buying from multiple sites and you can just use other parts in parallel.
                                Modding the Lepai T-Amp

Comment

Working...
                                X