Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

    Originally posted by donradick View Post
    Those are nice! Straight BB ply? How big is the box - what did you tune them to?
    Yes. its 5/8" baltic birch, the tuning is the same as the original Aurbacs and the size is 7w x 22-3/4"h x 14d.

    Chris. I didn't space the tweeter for looks I simple put it in the wrong place. The drivers are 6-1/2" from center to center.

    Comment


    • #77
      Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

      Click image for larger version

Name:	aurabaks (400x299).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1144207

      Ok finally I will finish by the end of the week!!!

      Comment


      • #78
        Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

        Click image for larger version

Name:	aurabaks (400x299).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1144207

        Ok finally I will finish by the end of the week!!!

        Comment


        • #79
          Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

          Originally posted by donradick View Post
          Crossover bill of materials (Parts Express) for a pair:


          A crossover schematic:


          And a pic of the finished crossover:


          (I paralleled a 1.0 and 1.2 to get .57 for R12)

          Don, I am putting together a list of needed stuff for this build. I already have the drivers, I just need the x-over parts.

          Looking at your information above, I can't seem to match the assembled crossover pic (10 components/side, 11 if you count the paralleled resistors individually) to the schematic (9 components/side) or to the bill of materials (18 components, 9/side?, but only showing one of each inductor)?

          Can you please go over the BOM and schematic and get them to equal the pic of (I assume) your final crossover? Even just a quick BOM would be awesome as I want to place this order tomorrow (Thursday) by noon if possible. I'm driving from Canada through Vermont Tuesday next week and want to pick all this up on my way home.

          Thanks a bunch! I can't wait to hear what these sound like!

          Comment


          • #80
            Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

            My apologies!
            Someone pointed out the BOM problem to me several months ago, and I never corrected it.
            The final BOM should have:
            Qty 2 1.20 mH 18 guage
            Qty 2 .20 mH 20 gauge

            regards. Please post pics of your build and your listening impressions in this thread.

            I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

            High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

            Tangband W6-sub

            Comment


            • #81
              Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

              The BOM is correct except that it should list two of each coil instead of one.

              On his crossover he wired two resistors in parallel to get .57 Ohms. The schematic calls this resistor out as .55 Ohms. The BOM uses a .51 Ohm resistor.

              The schematic calls for a 7.000 microfarad cap. The BOM and his crossover use a 6.8 microfarad cap and 2.2 microfarad cap in parallel to achieve the equivalent of a 7.02 microfarad cap.

              So all you need to do is increase the quantity of inductors to two of each and you'll have everything you need.

              Comment


              • #82
                Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

                Double post

                Comment


                • #83
                  Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

                  Originally posted by Leroy R View Post
                  The BOM is correct except that it should list two of each coil instead of one.

                  On his crossover he wired two resistors in parallel to get .57 Ohms. The schematic calls this resistor out as .55 Ohms. The BOM uses a .51 Ohm resistor.

                  The schematic calls for a 7.000 microfarad cap. The BOM and his crossover use a 6.8 microfarad cap and 2.2 microfarad cap in parallel to achieve the equivalent of a 7.02 microfarad cap.

                  So all you need to do is increase the quantity of inductors to two of each and you'll have everything you need.
                  Thanks Leroy!

                  I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                  "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

                  High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                  SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                  My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

                  Tangband W6-sub

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

                    Wow - thanks for the quick replies! And thanks for clearing up the individual components Leroy!

                    I'm almost embarassed to admit where these will be used... they're going to be mounted above our kitchen cabinets out of sight, firing up at the cieling from behind the raised crown moldings. They are surely not meant to be stuffed in such a terrible location, but this is one of those cases where I already have the drivers sitting in the basement and we desperately need music on our main floor. These will actually be used in sealed cabinets with an 8" sub (Aura NS8 buyout from [email protected]) providing the low end, the whole ensemble being powered by the DA 2.1 plate amp, required for its remote turn-on, and a signal from an Apple Airport Express. This will allow our wall mounted iPad to stream to the system and for it to be all automatic, turning on and off as needed.

                    It was either a solution like this, or stuffing a cheap TV soundbar up there... I don't like cheap soundbars!

                    Before condemning all of this nice stuff to the wretched confines of our cabinet tops I will be sure to give them a thorough listening to, and for sure I'll get some feedback into this thread. I have absolutely no doubt they will sound fantastic.

                    What I do doubt is what sonic nastiness I will be introducing with thier placement. Don, if BSC was to require a change where would I start to alter this? I have no idea what's going to happen when they're placed up there... the cabinets are 12" deep and about 11" from the cieling. The crown molding sticks up about 3" on a 45 degree angle from the front edge of the cabinets. The drivers will be in a triangular cross section enclosure against the wall at the back, with the baffle at a 45 degree angle. Wish me luck!

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

                      Originally posted by superspeeder View Post
                      Wow - thanks for the quick replies! And thanks for clearing up the individual components Leroy!

                      I'm almost embarassed to admit where these will be used... they're going to be mounted above our kitchen cabinets out of sight, firing up at the cieling from behind the raised crown moldings. They are surely not meant to be stuffed in such a terrible location, but this is one of those cases where I already have the drivers sitting in the basement and we desperately need music on our main floor. These will actually be used in sealed cabinets with an 8" sub (Aura NS8 buyout from [email protected]) providing the low end, the whole ensemble being powered by the DA 2.1 plate amp, required for its remote turn-on, and a signal from an Apple Airport Express. This will allow our wall mounted iPad to stream to the system and for it to be all automatic, turning on and off as needed.

                      It was either a solution like this, or stuffing a cheap TV soundbar up there... I don't like cheap soundbars!

                      Before condemning all of this nice stuff to the wretched confines of our cabinet tops I will be sure to give them a thorough listening to, and for sure I'll get some feedback into this thread. I have absolutely no doubt they will sound fantastic.

                      What I do doubt is what sonic nastiness I will be introducing with thier placement. Don, if BSC was to require a change where would I start to alter this? I have no idea what's going to happen when they're placed up there... the cabinets are 12" deep and about 11" from the cieling. The crown molding sticks up about 3" on a 45 degree angle from the front edge of the cabinets. The drivers will be in a triangular cross section enclosure against the wall at the back, with the baffle at a 45 degree angle. Wish me luck!
                      Sounds like a challenging build - at least it would be for me!
                      Don't be embarassed - we all have situations where we need to deliver tunes in a less-than-perfect environment.

                      RE: BSC
                      The initial thought that comes to my is maybe you can use a preset EQ in your IPhone for kitchen use.
                      If that's not possible, BSC should be reworked. I'm too backed up right now to do all the sims, but
                      typically this means using a smaller coil and cap for the woofer - just guessing here -
                      you might try a 1.0 mH and 5 or 6 uF for the woofer - that should get you in the ballpark.

                      regards,

                      I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

                      High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

                      Tangband W6-sub

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	cro (299x400).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1144256Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (299x400).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1144257

                        Not finish but I like the sound.
                        Some PE screws Iam waiting more tint...and other details.
                        Don they sound live like
                        Thanks

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

                          Originally posted by piazzafatb View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]29899[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29900[/ATTACH]

                          Not finish but I like the sound.
                          Some PE screws Iam waiting more tint...and other details.
                          Don they sound live like
                          Thanks

                          Beautiful build! What kind of wood is that? I really dig your external crossover.
                          So glad that you like the sound quality....

                          don

                          I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

                          High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

                          Tangband W6-sub

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

                            Wood ? Haha
                            Its cheap HD cedar plywood, I think so. I known it as baboon.
                            Turns out very nice finish with Varathane Expresso tint. (not my detail job, just the color)
                            Exposed plywood ends was covered with texture black paint.
                            Maybe I change R10 to 2.5. Vocals and percussions are grate. I am surprised with bass too.
                            I post a baffle before for a specific use. But I quit my intentions.


                            I decided to finish the project with your specs, and reuse the crossover already have made.
                            Thats why port are so high in the cabinet.

                            Don, one question. Side by side, how you compare they to Maurabacs.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

                              Originally posted by piazzafatb View Post

                              Don, one question. Side by side, how you compare they to Maurabacs.
                              I gifted the Aurbacs a long time ago, so I can't do a direct comparison, but I listen to
                              the Maurbacs regularly each week, and each time I'm impressed by the clarity, imaging,
                              and "authority" of the bass. Even though the sim does not show them going very low
                              (mid to low 50s F3 if I remember correctly) - bass and drums sound very full and unconstrained.

                              I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                              "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

                              High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                              SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                              My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

                              Tangband W6-sub

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

                                I have a single NS6 in the lower woofer position of Tritrix TL as subwoofer. It is crossed over around 200 Hz in a computer audio system and has great extension to below 40 Hz without any boominess. I have a 2 inch layer of OC 703 fiber glass at the closed end of the line, 1/2 felt on the wall behind the driver, and about a quarter of a pound of Acoustistuff below the woofer. Additional bracing includes gluing the woofer magnet via a hardwood braces to the rear and bottom enclosure walls. The woofer cutout was enlarged with a jig saw and woofer is mounted to the front baffle with RTV. The woofer bracing was done before the one side was installed to allow mounting access since the woofer not easily removable after gluing. The cone is stiffed with a thin layer of glue and damped with Poly vinyl acetate. Very nice bass for low cost and easy construction with the PE enclosures kit.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X