Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

Originally posted by fdieck View Post
    I have a single NS6 in the lower woofer position of Tritrix TL as subwoofer. It is crossed over around 200 Hz in a computer audio system and has great extension to below 40 Hz without any boominess. I have a 2 inch layer of OC 703 fiber glass at the closed end of the line, 1/2 felt on the wall behind the driver, and about a quarter of a pound of Acoustistuff below the woofer. Additional bracing includes gluing the woofer magnet via a hardwood braces to the rear and bottom enclosure walls. The woofer cutout was enlarged with a jig saw and woofer is mounted to the front baffle with RTV. The woofer bracing was done before the one side was installed to allow mounting access since the woofer not easily removable after gluing. The cone is stiffed with a thin layer of glue and damped with Poly vinyl acetate. Very nice bass for low cost and easy construction with the PE enclosures kit.
    Wow - impressive modding! I agree, the NS6 has surprising bass in the right alignment. I wish someone would test it and publish an accurate
    Xmax.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
      ...maybe you can use a preset EQ in your IPhone for kitchen use.
      If that's not possible, BSC should be reworked.
      As much as I wish I could tell you otherwise, custom EQ presets aren't possible with Apple products, only when using full iTunes from a PC or Mac. That was one of the things that I was really excited about when I got an iPhone three years ago was being able to make custom EQ curves, one for the garage, another for the kitchen, etc. After looking into it, no dice… you get the preloaded EQ curves and that's it.

RANT: I have a real love/hate relationship with Apple as they have a fantastic overall system that works really well across the platform and all it's devices, but they treat their customers like toddlers and lock everything down just in case they might screw something up. What's the harm in a custom EQ curve? Maddening! RANT OVER

I will be storing my car for the winter soon and once that's out of the way my garage will be opened up for a big messy woodworking project. Big by my standards, anyway. We live in a single garage townhouse and during the summer we have three cars on the road, so a big project that can't be quickly tidied up means parking two cars in the driveway and one on the street. Not ideal.

I'm really looking forward to this and I'll let you know what kind of unpleasantness I run into stuffing these on top of the cabinets. Running a few sweeps should be interesting!

Thanks for the continuing support!

Comment

Finally got around to taking my Aurbocks apart and putting the finish on them. About 7 coats of wipe on poly on the burl walnut veneer and about 3 coats of black satin paint on the front and back.

Comment

@ Leroy -
          WOW, those are pretty!. What brand of wipe-on poly? Any problems with it?

"As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Minwax Wipe on poly (Clear Gloss). It actually went on quite well. I just used a cut up old t-shirt wrapped around two fingers and wiped it on very thin, just enough to get an even wet look over the whole surface. The initial 2 coats I rubbed in to get good penetration. The remaining coats were wiped in overlapping passes in one direction. I sanded between each coat with 400 grit paper on a sanding block for the first 4 or 5 coats after that I switched to using 0000 steel wool between coats just to scuff the surface. Each coat resulted in a smoother surface that required less sanding. I used 000 steel wool after the primer and between the first and second coats of paint on the painted surfaces and 0000 steel wool between the second and third coat of paint. The steel wool is effective, but a pain to wipe all the little pieces of steel off with a soft cloth before spraying the next coat of paint or wiping on the next coat of poly.

Comment

You can't rush the poly. If it isn't dry enough between coats, it will gum up your sand paper, which can in turn cause all sorts of problems. So you have to be very patient and make sure each coat is dry before sanding. It took me several days of putting one to two coats a day. Enough that I'm not really sure how many coats I put on. Somewhere between 7 and 10 I think.

Comment

A couple finished shots

Comment

Wow, given the cost of those drivers those cabs have no business looking that good! *chuckles*

Seriously though, looking awesome.
                  Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
                  Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Thank You, Don did a great job with these. I just did my best to make them look as good as they sound.

Comment

• ^^^^
                      I would say mission accomplished.

I hope they sound as good as they look. Nice work.

Comment

• Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

Leroy, that Walnut burl looks incredible! You really hit it outta the park with those cabinets.
                        If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
                        ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

Thanks Ed. Now I need to get the Cabrinis finished that have Mappa Burl veneer on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy R View Post
                            Thank You, Don did a great job with these. I just did my best to make them look as good as they sound.
                            I'm humbled, and very happy to give back to this community. Enjoy!
                            BTW, if you like the Aurbacs, you will love the Maurbacs.

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

They are on my To Do list Don. Hopefully I can get my hands on some matching veneer for them.

Comment

Well, I have my Aurbacs built. As previously stated, the satellites are in .3 cuft sealed cabs using an Aura NS8 for sub duties, the whole thing running off the PE 2.1 plate amp. The satellites are long low profile cabinets, necessary to keep the speakers hidden behind the crown molding and lighting installed above our kitchen cabinets.

First impressions of the satellites is pretty good! I've only listened to them for a few minutes so far. If anything the tweeters might be a little bright, but I'll do some more intense listening tonight. These are set up in my basement right now, not on top of the cabinets yet.

I'm really impressed with the NS8. I have it in .65 cuft tuned to 30hz and it plays with authority well into the 20's. I'll try to get a few pics up soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X