X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• donradick
    replied
    Originally posted by germanach View Post

The tweeter has NO series capacitor. Isn't that wrong in the schematic it seems to be connected the tweeter to the lowpass filter and the bass to the hipass filter.??
    Um, as Chris said, the tweeter crossover is 3rd order, with 2 capacitors in series, and an inductor to ground. I am here to help you succeed!

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    The tweeter has TWO series caps (3rd order). Are you familiar ??

Leave a comment:

• germanach
    replied
    Originally posted by donradick View Post
    Re: Aura NS6-255 and Vifa BC25SC TM

Crossover bill of materials (Parts Express) for a pair:

The final BOM should have:
    Qty 2 1.20 mH 18 guage
    Qty 2 .20 mH 20 gauge

A crossover schematic:

And a pic of the finished crossover:

(I paralleled a 1.0 and 1.2 to get .57 for R12)
    The tweeter has NO series capacitor. Isn't that wrong in the schematic it seems to be connected the tweeter to the lowpass filter and the bass to the hipass filter.??

Leave a comment:

• mpotoka
    replied

I played around in PCD a bit, and came up with this version - but it will be better if you measure and tweak

Woofer:
    .40 mH (.3 DCR)
    16 uF and 1.5 Ohm to ground.

Tweeter:
    first cap is changed from 7.5 uF to 6.0 uF
    The rest the same.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks so much-had almost all the correct values sitting around in my stash. Got them up and buried behind the screen-they sound great. Later when I've got the rig out to tune my subs I'll take a couple measurements to see how they ended up. Appreciate the quick response!

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

Originally posted by mpotoka View Post
    I've got the parts for these and I'm going to make them for my left/right in walls for a budget media room build. Any recommendations for removing the BSC or am I going to need to measure and re-work?
    I played around in PCD a bit, and came up with this version - but it will be better if you measure and tweak

Woofer:
    .40 mH (.3 DCR)
    16 uF and 1.5 Ohm to ground.

Tweeter:
    first cap is changed from 7.5 uF to 6.0 uF
    The rest the same.

Hope this helps!

Leave a comment:

• mpotoka
    replied

I've got the parts for these and I'm going to make them for my left/right in walls for a budget media room build. Any recommendations for removing the BSC or am I going to need to measure and re-work?

Leave a comment:

• blossom
    replied

If you want to build something, build the Maurbacs - they are pretty sensitive (4 ohm), and play pretty deep,loud and clear.
    Simple crossover, and you can use it as a center channel also. You won't be sorry. (BTW, no, I am not going to design a 2.5 TMM)
    Right is see, that looks good. That will do. Sorry i was a bit missleading with my comment. I ment to mean, "how about the idea of a 2.5 way".

cheers, blossom.

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

Originally posted by blossom View Post
    How about doing a 2.5 way with these drivers? Would this be a good idea? To achieve even better bottom end. Perhaps it could make the over all sensitivity even lower? Im not up with the play enough as to be designing this stuff my self.
    If you want to build something, build the Maurbacs - they are pretty sensitive (4 ohm), and play pretty deep,loud and clear.
    Simple crossover, and you can use it as a center channel also. You won't be sorry. (BTW, no, I am not going to design a 2.5 TMM)

Leave a comment:

• blossom
    replied

How about doing a 2.5 way with these drivers? Would this be a good idea? To achieve even better bottom end. Perhaps it could make the over all sensitivity even lower? Im not up with the play enough as to be designing this stuff my self.

Leave a comment:

• blossom
    replied

I got lucky
    Na man, take the credit, lucky or not youve doen agreat job.;-)

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

Originally posted by blossom View Post
    Cool, enjoyed reading this one. Came accross it by looking round to see what people are upto with the NS6. Well done Don, congrats on your achievement, it's such a great feeling when efforts are rewarded and to know that youa re furtharing yoru self.
    I got lucky with some cheap drivers that sounded way better than their price tag, and with some help managed to make some pretty good sounding boxes. I am most gratified that others have built them and agree. thanks for your post.

Leave a comment:

• blossom
    replied

Cool, enjoyed reading this one. Came accross it by looking round to see what people are upto with the NS6. Well done Don, congrats on your achievement, it's such a great feeling when efforts are rewarded and to know that youa re furtharing yoru self.

Leave a comment:

• superspeeder
    replied

Good tip! Maybe I can use the sub output on the 2.1 amp and use a low freq, the satellite outs are high passed.

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

@superspeeder:
    The NS6s don't really take much to break them in.
    My favorite breakin "trick" is to wire the 2 woofers out of phase and place them about 6 inches apart.
    You can pump a lot of volume through them with very little sound pressure.
    On the other hand, be a little considerate of the NS6s - I last did that with a couple of RS180s.

Leave a comment:

• superspeeder
    replied

I've been listening to this setup all evening in the basement. I'm really impressed! It actually bums me out to think of how these will sound when I stuff them on top of the cabinets pointed at the ceiling.

There's lots of detail in the mids, and clear midbass right down to where the sub takes over. After playing around with the eq in iTunes I've settled on having the three highest sliders (4k and up) pulled back by 3db. This seems about right, with bright material still bright but without beeing overdone on guitar string harmonics etc.

The NS6 might take more than I can give to break it in... I live in a townhouse so I have to keep the neighbors in mind. As you both mentioned, by the time I cram these in their final resting place the highs might sound just about right.

Yep, a sub in the kitchen. Doesn't everyone do that? There's a couple of reasons for that. I couldn't build a stereo pair of enclosures big enough (they would be visible), and I also wanted some added flexability tuning the bass since it's such a cramped placement.

I'm blown away by this little NS8! I can't believe it's in such a small enclosure and effortlessly dropping sub-30 Hz tones with such authority. This is on my concrete floor and beside a concrete wall in my basement, so it's getting lots of reinforcement, but it's a big step up from the Energy ESW-V8 that normally plays in that same location, and that's a much bigger enclosure.

It hits bass drums so nicely and has lots of detail in bass guitar. Until now I've never heard anything this small sound so big and life-like. I bought a case of 8 of these when mad had them on clearance, and I'm glad I did!

The only let down so far has been the DA 2.1 plate amp. As an amp it seems to do its job ok, but it operates with a high pitched whine, similar to the sound of a CRT television, but much louder and more apparent. It also has a bit of audible hiss coming through the amp... not something you'd want for near field listening. I'm wondering if I maybe have a defective unit? Maybe I'll call PE tomorrow a d see what they have to say.

I'll try to get some pics of the cabinets up soon. I'm planning to have this all set up in the kitchen by the end of the week.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X