• J.Lee
    replied
    Re: Carmody Tarkus 3-Way in a one-piece curved cabinet

Gorgeous!!!!

Leave a comment:

• panickle
    replied

Does anyone know the depth of the cabinet?

Sorry if this info has already been posted--I didn't see it listed on the sketch diagrams.

thanks!

Leave a comment:

• JustaGuy
    replied

FANTASTIC LOOKING!!!! My first time veneering I was going to use contact cement and learned that you can with paper backed veneers. But, you should use some the is designed for it. I looked into using regular veneer and was a little scared too. Props to you for going for it. I love the curved design. And the grain is fantastic. I really hope you don't have any issues with the adhesive. Simply Awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Leroy R
    replied

Those turned out amazing!! Love the curved cabinets and that bubinga veneer is beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
    Freakin' awesome! I never considered using bubinga until just now.
    Did you see the one guy's pic in the Bubinga finishing thread? That made my heart hurt, it was so amazing.

Leave a comment:

• 50 watt head
    replied

Outstanding and inspiring!

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

Freakin' awesome! I never considered using bubinga until just now.

Leave a comment:

• DjDisturbed
    replied

Beautiful looking veneer

Leave a comment:

• gvimhoof
    replied

Woof!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Henry
    replied

+2

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

+1

Epic&Win

Leave a comment:

• Applesauce
    replied

Damn. Those look GOOD.

Leave a comment:

• cowtown
    replied

I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, given I learned how to make curved cabinets, deal with raw veneer, and shoot shellac with a cheap spraygun. Main lesson learned: Raw veneer is a lot of work compared to PSA! The Bubinga took a lot of convincing to look good, lie down, and not tear out.

I realize now that I made an unforced error by choosing to use contact cement with an un-backed veneer. I didn't clearly understand until now that it's more appropriate with paperbacked, and I might get bubbles and lifts over time. If that happens I will just strip them down and redo with a different veneer.

Paul's speaker design itself is definitely a keeper - loud, clear, and fantastic bass. I just like the way he voices his speakers, I guess. We have 3 pairs of Overnight Sensations that have a similar "sound" (on a much smaller scale!).

Many small flaws which I will always see (but no one else notices) are there. That's a universal DIY rule, right? :D

I was going to follow the great advice I received over on the Tech side, and fill the grain, but when I realized the mistake with the contact cement, I decided to press ahead and get them up and running, and wait to see how durable the finish is. If it bubbles up, a shiny smooth filled grain is going to look awful.

So it was two sprayed coats of 50% Zinsser dewaxed shellac cut with denatured alcohol, and three coats of wipe-on oilbased poly. LOTS of hand-sanding. The finish came out slightly darker than I wanted, even with just cut shellac and clear poly. They look great in natural light and during the day, then get really dark looking at night when the house lights are on.

Last edited by cowtown; 07-27-2012, 06:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cowtown
    replied

Originally posted by bolland83 View Post
    Wow man! :eek: Killer veneer you got there. Kinda makes me wish I'd went that route on mine.
    No way bolland, your finish is so unique and really fits your room from the pictures I've seen. I'm just doing what the rest of the crowd is doing. :o

Leave a comment:

Working...
X