Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carmody Tarkus 3-Way in a one-piece curved cabinet

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
    Wow nice work, what method did you use to put the veneer on?
    I did contact cement per LouC's tutorial. There were definitely some tense moments as the cement grabbed and couldn't be repositioned at all, but it worked out.

Originally posted by Applesauce View Post
    Those look fantastic! Yet another project that has me thinking about a foray into veneering...

Can I ask what seller you used on eBay? I've seen a few, all of whom look to offer some promising books of veneer at decent prices.
    I used "rjfritz123" for the Bubinga. It seems like a good deal - 11 sheets for around $85 to my door. I think the way he advertised it was very honest.

I also bought some Walnut from a "greatdane6" and was OK with it but a little less happy because there were some pretty significant long cracks that were not disclosed. It's usable, though, and was cheap.

Comment

Damn! You're bookmatching it and everything. You sure this isn't your first time?
      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by cowtown View Post
        I used "rjfritz123" for the Bubinga. It seems like a good deal - 11 sheets for around $85 to my door. I think the way he advertised it was very honest.
        I've been looking at some of the same stuff... But I can't tell you how nervous veneer makes me! Is raw veneer from a fellow on eBay really an OK way to go for one's first attempt?! I mean, yours certainly turned out pretty nice...

Comment

Wow man! :eek: Killer veneer you got there. Kinda makes me wish I'd went that route on mine.
          My modest builds:
          Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
          Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
          Armadillo Center Channel
          Au-Rock-O Sub
          Tarkus
          Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Originally posted by bolland83 View Post
            Wow man! :eek: Killer veneer you got there. Kinda makes me wish I'd went that route on mine.
            No way bolland, your finish is so unique and really fits your room from the pictures I've seen. I'm just doing what the rest of the crowd is doing. :o

Comment

I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, given I learned how to make curved cabinets, deal with raw veneer, and shoot shellac with a cheap spraygun. Main lesson learned: Raw veneer is a lot of work compared to PSA! The Bubinga took a lot of convincing to look good, lie down, and not tear out.

I realize now that I made an unforced error by choosing to use contact cement with an un-backed veneer. I didn't clearly understand until now that it's more appropriate with paperbacked, and I might get bubbles and lifts over time. If that happens I will just strip them down and redo with a different veneer.

Paul's speaker design itself is definitely a keeper - loud, clear, and fantastic bass. I just like the way he voices his speakers, I guess. We have 3 pairs of Overnight Sensations that have a similar "sound" (on a much smaller scale!).

Many small flaws which I will always see (but no one else notices) are there. That's a universal DIY rule, right? :D

I was going to follow the great advice I received over on the Tech side, and fill the grain, but when I realized the mistake with the contact cement, I decided to press ahead and get them up and running, and wait to see how durable the finish is. If it bubbles up, a shiny smooth filled grain is going to look awful.

So it was two sprayed coats of 50% Zinsser dewaxed shellac cut with denatured alcohol, and three coats of wipe-on oilbased poly. LOTS of hand-sanding. The finish came out slightly darker than I wanted, even with just cut shellac and clear poly. They look great in natural light and during the day, then get really dark looking at night when the house lights are on.

Last edited by cowtown; 07-27-2012, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Damn. Those look GOOD.

Comment

+1

Epic&Win

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                  return to the source
                  leviathan system thread
                  deadhorse thread
                  shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

+2
                    Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

Woof!

Comment

Beautiful looking veneer
                        Thanks ,
                        JB

Comment

Freakin' awesome! I never considered using bubinga until just now.
                          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                          Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Outstanding and inspiring!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                              Freakin' awesome! I never considered using bubinga until just now.
                              Did you see the one guy's pic in the Bubinga finishing thread? That made my heart hurt, it was so amazing.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                              return to the source
                              leviathan system thread
                              deadhorse thread
                              shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Those turned out amazing!! Love the curved cabinets and that bubinga veneer is beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                                X