X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewski
    replied
    Re: Carmoody Tarkus 3-Way in a one-piece curved cabinet

Looking forward to seeing your build progress the design looks very nice best of luck.

Take it easy
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
    replied

veeerrrry nice so far. paul is so famous.

Leave a comment:

• cowtown
    replied

Argh! I misspelled Carmody in the thread title. Sorry. I can't seem to edit it.

Leave a comment:

• cowtown
    started a topic Carmody Tarkus 3-Way in a one-piece curved cabinet

Carmody Tarkus 3-Way in a one-piece curved cabinet

Hi All,
    I'm picking up from where I left off over on the Tech Questions forum, where I got some help with mocking up a one-piece Tarkus cabinet in Sketchup. (http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224284) I got a little time this weekend to start cutting wood, and got all the pieces cut and routed except the curved sides.

Anyway, here are the pictures for anyone who's interested. I'm getting excited about having a big slamming speaker to listen to - like college back in the early 90s!

Here's the design I'm going for, next to the stock Tarkus cabinet. Volume and driver spacing are the same:

Cutting out the hardboard template, to be used to cut the first curved baffle:

The first baffle taking shape. After this, I used a pattern bit riding against the first baffle to make three more copies:

Making sure it looks something like the model :D:

All the pieces more-or-less fit together:

I always feel relief when the drivers fit without having to get out the file and sandpaper:

For bracing, I went with 7/8" dowels. They are tightly press-fitted and glued into the baffles running front-to back, and there will be some cross-bracing provided by the sealed section and a dowl or two.
    Here are some of the dowels pressed in with no glue. This was sort of an experiment, but it looks like it may work fine. I'm planning to veneer over the cabinets so the ends won't be visible:

Size comparison with a Statement Monitor. The Tarkus won't be too huge for having a 10" woofer. My wife's not having a fit, anyway.

That's it for now. I can't wait to hear them. Thanks Paul for your cool design. I'm definitely open to any suggestions or advice....

--Colin
    Last edited by cowtown; 07-27-2012, 06:03 PM.
Working...
X