Beginner's Experiment - Desktop speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner's Experiment - Desktop speakers

I recently completed a bit of an experiment of mine, using a few drivers I had laying around from my car audio days.

I set out to create a pair of speakers that I could use on my desk, to listen to music while I worked or surfed the web.

My few design goals were:
    - Use Aurasound NS3-193-4A1 woofer and SEAS Prestige 27TAFNC/G tweeter. (https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...roducts_id=773 + https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...roducts_id=633)
    - Keep a small footprint and avoid taking up a lot of desk space.
    - Utilize a port-free design to avoid port reflections off of the wall/monitor.
    - Place tweeters at approximate ear height.
    - Keep drivers as close together as possible.

Speaker called for ~ 1.5-2 liters of volume. I drew up the following design, ending up with 3 liters before adding crossover, deadening, and drivers.

I haven't gotten to the point in my capabilities to design a full crossover myself, so I commissioned Madisound to design me one. They have both drivers on hand, so they have measurements of the drivers. I know that this does not compensate for a variety of other factors, such as baffle size, etc, but my hands are a bit tied by my own lack of ability and measuring equipment. This is definitely the next step I'll have to take in my DIY audio hobby.

Anyways, here is what Madisound came up with.

Re: Beginner's Experiment - Desktop speakers

I built them out of 1/2 inch MDF. Joined with glue and clamps. Did a 1/2 inch roundover on all sides.

I then used a shellac primer to seal the wood. Used Rage Extreme to fill in all cracks/imperfections, sanded to 220 grit then followed up again with another coat of shellac primer. I then sanded to 220 grit again, and hit it all with a high build primer by duplicolor. High build primer was sanded all the way up to 1500 wet.

This was my first shot with a HVLP gun, and I used off the shelf rustoleum black satin. It came out really nice and even, but with a bit of orange peel. The prime suspects for this are - paint quality, not enough pressure at the gun, and lack of experience on my part.

Comment

Woof!

Comment

Nice job , I like custom desktop speakers. I built a few pairs and probably got the most use out of them because I'm always on the computer.

From the pictures you posted they look great to me, I hope they sound great too.
        Thanks ,
        JB

Comment

I kinda really like the red from the primer! A nice deep satin red would make a killer desktop speaker finish. Makes me wanna get on a desktop project. Would be nice to have something to build from scraps and finished in a day!

Comment

Originally posted by 707kevin View Post
            I kinda really like the red from the primer! A nice deep satin red would make a killer desktop speaker finish. Makes me wanna get on a desktop project. Would be nice to have something to build from scraps and finished in a day!
            HAHA, I know! I was 90% temped to leave the primer, then simply hit it with clear. I will definitely be ordering some blood red finish coat paint for another speaker project eventually.

Speakers sound good so far. I'm noticing that the listening field is pretty narrow, which is okay for nearfield, but I seem to be getting some weird phasing issues as I move off axis. I'm thinking perhaps the crossover wasn't designed so well, but I'm not smart enough to troubleshoot it on my own. I did check all speaker polarity, and it was okay.

Guess it's a lesson to stick with tried and true designs from the experts on here

Comment

Great design. I've done a lot of work with that woofer.

If the box is 3 liters then my recommendation would be to buy a pair of the 1" / 4" port tubes and install them on the box as is (one per box). It tunes the box to 67Hz and provides an F3 of 53Hz. You will get a remarkable improvement in bass extension like this.

I have used this exact alignment with the Dayton ND90-8 (a direct replacement to the NS3) full range and was very pleased with the results.

Comment

I tried to avoid the port since there is really not much room at all for it. Maybe it could be upward firing.

I've been listening to these for the past hour, and I am very happy with them.

The phasing issue I was complaining about is gone, and the bass extension is fantastic. They're at the back of my desk, so they're getting a bit of help from the desktop and wall. They're not perfect for critical listening, but I think having the driver elevated by ~ 8 inches from the desktop helps a bit.

They're pretty laid back, perhaps running the tweeter a tad bit hotter may be in order.

It'd be nice for someone more experience/measuring equipment to take a stab at these and tweak the crossover/design. I'm overall pretty happy/proud of these, and wouldn't have issue with recommending them to someone to spend some time and build them.

Comment

Originally posted by devinkato View Post
                  I tried to avoid the port since there is really not much room at all for it. Maybe it could be upward firing.
                  you could also put some 1" feet on it and down fire the port. If it were me I would run this driver sealed if I were running it as a mid. It has sooooooooo much extension for a 3" driver.

Comment

If you like the bass extension from a sealed box, stick with sealed. Going vented brings its own set of compromises from a sound quality perspective, especially with a higher-Qts driver like the ND-series midbasses. It's not like you especially need to control excursion (the main rationale for using a vent, IMO) with an underhung driver like the ND90, so I'd actually prefer to skip the port.

That tweeter is really something. SEAS used to sell a ferrite version with the same dome and a similar phase shield, and offered versions with/without a large rear damping chamber. I have some of the ones with the rear chamber, and they were excellent, excellent tweeters. I've dismantled the original project they went into (my first-ever two-way design) and I'm already thinking of how to use them next.
                    Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Comment

The main reason for a port is increased base output.

Sealed this enclosure will have an f3 of + 95 Hz. I agree with lostboy77 that porting would result in a tremendous improvement. This driver works very well in ported enclosures. The Qts is not that high (.58). I would use a larger port however to reduce port compression. Porting with a 1.5” tube, + 9” long would give an fb of 66 Hz with an f3 of + 55 Hz, an improvement of 40Hz! Raising the enclosure with 1” feet and porting at the bottom as suggested by lostboy77 would work well.

Try it; I guarantee that you will be astonished by the results. If for some reason you don’t like the result, you can always plug the hole back up since it is invisible anyway.

Keep us informed.
                      “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
                        The main reason for a port is increased base output.

Sealed this enclosure will have an f3 of + 95 Hz. I agree with lostboy77++lostboy77
                        As an aside: Tuning the enclosure to 58 Hz, with an f3 of 50 Hz would actually be preferable, but would require a port 12.25" long which is impossible to accommodate in this enclosure.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

As an aside: Tuning the enclosure to 58 Hz, with an f3 of 50 Hz would actually be preferable, but would require a port 12.25" long which is impossible to accommodate in this enclosure.
                          Hmm.. I can sense a v2 in the works. What internal volume would a that port require?

Comment

Originally posted by devinkato View Post
                            Hmm.. I can sense a v2 in the works. What internal volume would a that port require?
                            Actually that port calculation is based on your existing enclosure of 3 liters. I am assuming that your volume calculation is correct as I cannot tell from your drawing if your dimensions are interior, exterior or both.

The best thing is to modify one of the enclosures and compare.

Comment

Actually that port calculation is based on your existing enclosure of 3 liters. I am assuming that your volume calculation is correct as I cannot tell from your drawing if your dimensions are interior, exterior or both.

The best thing is to modify one of the enclosures and compare.
                              Gotcha.

Exterior dimensions are 5x5x12

Comment

Working...
                              X