Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Faux) carbon fibre Overnight Sensations set

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: (Faux) carbon fibre Overnight Sensations set

    Revans, those speakers look GREAT!

    Is there any special treatment for applying this film (is it self-adhesive, or did you use contact cement)? It looks like you used a hairdryer. And what is the purple stuff around the edges? Also, did you just trim it with a razor blade?
    Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: (Faux) carbon fibre Overnight Sensations set

      Yeah the cone color and the CF look really work well together.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: (Faux) carbon fibre Overnight Sensations set

        Thanks again for the nice words

        Originally posted by kmibb View Post
        The 3M website shows it available in several other colors/finishes like metals, colors, and even different colors of carbon fiber. I think the black and white carbon fiber mixed could make a pretty sweet finish.
        Yeah I saw those, although I could only find the black carbon fibre in NZ, and I probably wouldn't have changed anyway. It would be interesting to see if the gloss block colours would look good as much easier alternatives to glossy paint jobs.

        Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
        http://www.vinyldecals.com/wrap-viny...ilm-vinyl.html
        Seems to get expensive quickly. But still, saves a whole bunch of time compared to a high-quality veneer or paint job.
        Heh NZ might actually get something cheaper for once ;)

        Originally posted by john trials View Post
        Revans, those speakers look GREAT!
        Is there any special treatment for applying this film (is it self-adhesive, or did you use contact cement)? It looks like you used a hairdryer. And what is the purple stuff around the edges? Also, did you just trim it with a razor blade?
        The wrap is self-adhesive, but the purple stuff is 3M Primer 94, the corresponding adhesive promoter for 3M wraps (it's actually clear, it just mixed with the black marker I coloured in the edges with in case I got any tiny gaps in the join). I think it's usually used for edges and concave curves to keep the wrap in place, I used it on the edges where I was trimming as insurance against it coming loose. Though the primer isn't compulsory and generally the self-adhesive itself is pretty adequate.

        The hairdryer makes the wrap very pliable and helps a lot for smoothing out the wrap and making it negotiate any tricky shapes (so not really my speakers, but some of the stuff people manage to wrap is pretty cool). It helped with stretching the joins on the backs together. And yes I trimmed it with a craft knife, after cutting pieces with about a 1cm overlap.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: (Faux) carbon fibre Overnight Sensations set

          Thanks for the application tips. I have some Statement Monitors that have been bare MDF for about a year, and this carbon fiber wrap is now on my list of possible finishes.
          Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: (Faux) carbon fibre Overnight Sensations set

            Originally posted by revans View Post
            The 3M wrap was $85NZD ($70USD) per metre and I got 1 metre (roll was 1.5m wide). Which was cheaper than a nice glossy paint job or decent veneer would've have been for me.

            Also, I was actually originally going to get 2 meters, as I couldn't figure out how to fit all the pieces onto 1x1.5m - until I found this awesome cutsheet optimiser. For free software it's really, really good, some of you guys might find it pretty handy.
            Maybe simpler to use?:

            http://delphiforfun.org/programs/cutlist.htm

            .
            “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

            If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

            Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: (Faux) carbon fibre Overnight Sensations set

              Originally posted by john trials View Post
              Thanks for the application tips. I have some Statement Monitors that have been bare MDF for about a year, and this carbon fiber wrap is now on my list of possible finishes.
              No worries, it's cool they've inspired someone :D If you do go the carbon fibre wrap route, let me know how it goes.

              Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
              Hah yeah maybe a bit simpler. Personally I prefer the extra depth ;)

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: (Faux) carbon fibre Overnight Sensations set

                Originally posted by revans View Post
                The 3M wrap was $85NZD ($70USD) per metre and I got 1 metre (roll was 1.5m wide). Which was cheaper than a nice glossy paint job or decent veneer would've have been for me.

                Also, I was actually originally going to get 2 meters, as I couldn't figure out how to fit all the pieces onto 1x1.5m - until I found this awesome cutsheet optimiser. For free software it's really, really good, some of you guys might find it pretty handy.
                I really like finish on your speakers. The only problem now is that I want to do the hood on my truck with the stuff. :eek:

                Comment

                Working...
                X