Stentorian build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stentorian build

Here is where I'm at with my Stentorian build thus far. I've been working on this for a bit slowly due to other things I have to do plus just the plain fact that I'm slow. I tried to plan everything out as best I could but I still end up making mistakes. Like the rear binding posts; I cut the hole out but then wanted to recess it so I dremeled it out enough to recess it, but it isnt nice and crisp as it would have been had I used my router. I also mad a mistake when I thought I was going to use t-nuts but the holes I drilled just tore through the narrow flange that the speaker sits on. Luckily I only did it on one and can still use regular screws. With the x-over, I wanted it to look like it was floating (not be able to see any wires and be able to take it off if needed to) so I used t-nuts on the back of some blocks that attach to the recess that that the x-over can attach to. I plan to hot glue the speaker wires down since securing the wiring is what Curt recommends. I still think my measurements are off because the bottom enclosure is just a tad bigger than the middle sub enclosure, that's if my math is right. I also plan on making a bigger "foot" for the bottom by doing the same t-nut thing I did for the x-over and attaching a smaller board to the bottom and then attaching a much bigger board to that to add a little bit of more height. Plus this way if I wanted to add more height I could. I'm also going to use my PPG epoxy primer to seal and prep the boxes for some PPG auto paint that I picked out. I've used the epoxy primer on lots of things and it works great so I thought I would give it a try on this.

Let me know what you all think thus far. If you have any ways I can improve it please let me know.

After these I will start on my Statements (already have the components). Really want to totally utilize my Emotiva amps.

Thanks,

Curtis

Re: Stentorian build

Looks good so far, don't worry about mistakes everyone makes them

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
    return to the source
    leviathan system thread
    deadhorse thread
    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Looking good.

Don't beat yourself up over mistakes. It's quite a complicated build and so easy to bugger something up.

Comment

I think you'll find mistakes on 99% of builds by DIY'ers. Either veneer or wood filler and paint can hide most mistakes. If not, creativity probably can. It seems like the builder is always his or her own worst critic.
        Looks great so far.
        Mike
        "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
        Bismarck, North Dakota
        My Current System: HiFiMe DIY T3 Amp, Kenwood Basic C1 Preamp, and Paul Carmody Sunflowers
        My Garage System TPS3116D2 Amp, DIY PS 95 Speakers, DC 130 Sub

Comment

Thanks guys; we are our own worst critic. These are quite a challenge and I wish I had more time to work on them.

I glued some more pieces last night and will get some more done tonight. I need to get a couple more longer clamps though. I wanted to use a couple of screws on the board that holds the x-over unit but I had already glued the window brace in place so I couldn't get my drill in there. But it should be ok; I haven't had any issues with my droid legs and I only used the glue on those. I think I will also be able to pre-wire the cabinet or at least get it laid out how I want it so I can hot glue the wires down. I'm thinking of making a common terminal inside the top enclosure so I will only have one wire actually coming out to the crossover for the speakers instead of a couple pairs. I'll take some pictures when I get it done.

Comment

Looks great so far! Good work going the extra mile and adding the braces in. I skipped those on mine and although I haven't noticed any vibrations, the braces will ensure you never will, either.

If you haven't closed them up yet, take some silicon sealant and seal each of the glued sections so you don't get any feedback between boxes. I read the holes where the wires go through isn't crucial to seal up, but if are feeling ambitious, you can get those too.

On the joining of the wires inside the enclosure, just remember if you ever have a connection get loose, you'll be ripping it open to fix it. Make sure the connection is perfect or don't risk it. I simply used wire nuts to tie the wires to the each other. So far so good, but I'm not sure what the best method is, so do some research before making the decision.

So far so good! In no time your ears will be thanking you. Use some caution and make sure your amp can handle the lower than average ohm rating. Don't want to be burning up a perfectly good amp!

Comment

Domush, Thanks for the kind words. Those braces were kind of a pain to clamp right for me but I'm sure they were worth it. Yeah I thought about sealing inside just for peace of mind too. Curt does say it won't make much of a difference since they are all seeing the same pressure from the woofers. I think the only place that would be really needed is all the holes that the wires go through.

With the wiring I chose to use a sort of terminal block mounted in the top enclosure that all the commons go to and the different sets of woofer positives go to in order to limit the amount of wires going through the back to the crossover. I didn't take a picture of it but if someone was curious I could post one.

I hear you on that! Though I finally got some Emotiva amps so I should be good for just about anything that I will be using.

Comment

The weather has finally started to lift and the heavens are shining; it's not soo cold in my garage. So I started to work on these some more. I sprayed a thin layer of epoxy primer and then sanded. Now I'm starting my first filler stage. I use evercote rage gold because it's really good to work with and easy to sand. For smaller holes and pin holes I usually use evercote easysand which is a polyester filler and is awesome to work with. I've used both of these on everything from plastic to aluminum and never had any problems. In the pictures it's hard to see the bottoms that I'm working on but they are a shade of green from the filler. I was using a longer sanding block that you can see in one of the pictures that I borrowed from a friend. I'm making sure the bottoms are nice and flat. So I'll be sanding and filling for the next couple of days until I think they are ready for another coat of epoxy primer. Hopefully my new spray gun arrives next week, supposed to on Wednesday, so I can shoot them next week. My new gun will be able to really shoot a nice thick layer of primer on since it's a HVLP HTE gun that I special ordered. Well, more to come but at least here is an update.

Curtis
                Attached Files

Comment

great documentation. nice build.
                  " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                  Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                  http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

I'll echo what others have said -- mistakes are inevitable. It's learning to recover from mistakes, that makes the difference. As you do more of this, you'll be able to see those mistakes coming and avoid them. I'll be following your build -- I'll be building a set of the Stentorians, and your experience will be helpful, I'm sure. Thanks for documenting thoroughly, and nice job...
                    Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
                    Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
                    Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
                    Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
                    Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
                    NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

Comment

Mistakes are definitely inevitable. I hate routing recesses. I'm working on a small set of 2-ways, and of course mistakes happened. Both baffles... URRGGGHHHH!!! So, I'm done with recesses. I'm going to use a sheet of 3/16 birch ply cut to the OD of the driver, laid over the baffle. Rather than a recess, it'll more of an overlay. I'll shim the driver up to bring it flush with the ply.
                      If I ever decide I want to spend 3 grand on a tool, I'll be buying a CNC router.
                      The key is not the mistakes, but how to work around or over them. Literally, think outside the box!
                      Mike
                      "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
                      Bismarck, North Dakota
                      My Current System: HiFiMe DIY T3 Amp, Kenwood Basic C1 Preamp, and Paul Carmody Sunflowers
                      My Garage System TPS3116D2 Amp, DIY PS 95 Speakers, DC 130 Sub

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys. Yeah the mistakes I've made so far aren't too bad. I think I'm doing the hardest part now or at least the least enjoyable; filling, sanding and priming to make sure the top coat looks and comes out good.

I finally got done with the first round of body filler and I rounded the front and top corners. I also sprayed a very heavy coat of epoxy primer. I'm trying to seal up the wood so I really sprayed it on and have runs but it's no big deal as I will hand sand them now with 220 and get them smooth again. I think if I'm happy with how they are after that, I will shoot them with another thin coat of epoxy primer and then let them dry again for another day. After that I will hit them with like 600 and then start the top coat. I really need a good foundation of primer that's smooth since I'm using a metallic top coat. I'm going to have to take my time and spray very light coats to build up the top coat; metallic paint can be funny and is a bit harder to paint than solid color. Well hopefully by this coming weekend I will have these fully painted so then I will be able to solder the crossover and get them put together. I'm also going to try and seal the inner edges before I stuff them with the fiber filler.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Gonna be nice! It sounds as of you've done a bit of painting. I'm always interested in what others do to achieve a nice finish. I noticed you're using epoxy primer. That's a product I've yet to use. I know it's very popular with cars -- do you find it a better material than other high-build primers?
                          Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
                          Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
                          Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
                          Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
                          Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
                          NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

Comment

Thanks! I truly hope so because I'm using this build as a precurser to the Statements from Curt, Wayne and Jim.

I've done a little bit of painting but mostly with materials that don't suck up the paint like wood does lol. I usually use stain for wood but I've never cared for stained speakers.

I got introduced to the epoxy primer by a friend when working on some props. I like it because you can put it on thick and even use it to fill pin holes; spray it thick and then use your finger to kind of force it into the hole. I do that because I'm going to sand it smooth anyway so it doesn't matter if it's really smooth yet. It dries hard since it's an epoxy and can withstand more abuse. But with anything it has pros and cons. It dries really fast like in ~30min depending on weather and then can be sanded and you can top coat it at any time but you have to top coat within 72 hours or you have to sand it/scuff it a little in order for the top coat to stick. Like I said it dries hard and seals everything. But you also need a spay gun and the associated equipment and there are other things with spraying it like the VOCs and stuff.

I can't wait to get them smooth so I can start top coating, fingers crossed, this weekend.

Comment

Ron,

It's funny that you ask about the primer because I looked at your builds and I thought I remembered your avatar from somewhere. Your TriTrix build was fantastic! Really great craftsmanship. I thought those brackets to hang those was brilliant.
                              I'm suprised you haven't used the epoxy primer yet with those planes around. My friend and I used that epoxy on some aluminum for a prop build and it has worked great; we did use aluminum conditioner so it would adhre properly.

Looking forwad to your Stent build!

Curtis

Comment

Working...
                              X