Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Tritrix build thread? Why not...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Tritrix build thread? Why not...

I built the cabinets from stock I had on hand rather than buy the kit from PE. Front veneer is cherry. Don't remember what the sides are. I buried some magnets in the face for some grills I'm working on. We have a two year old that likes to push domes & dust covers in.

Re: Another Tritrix build thread? Why not...

These look very nice. I'm curious, though, as to why you didn't flush-mount the drivers and tweet? It's my understanding that this makes a substantial difference in this build.
    Chris

Comment

Very nice build.

I am on the tail end of my tritrix build and have chosen to flush mount one pair, and surface mount the other. I will be curious to see if there is a difference.

Comment

Nice work, Zoidberg! That veneer job looks good. Although not flush mounting the drivers will produce a measurable defect in the frequency response, it likely won't be noticeable for all but the most critical of listeners. While they are a huge bang for the buck project, these aren't the most detailed of drivers to begin with so fretting over the details ain't worth it. No go enjoy some music!

Comment

Also, I like the idea of the buried magnets. Up close, are there any dips in the veneer over the magnets? I'm guessing this is paper backed veneer?

Comment

Those are some very handsome speakers. I could spend alot of time gazing at the grain and enjoying the tunes.
            If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
            ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

flush mounting: never really occured to me to flush mount them. It would look cleaner though I can't see how that would affect the performance but I supposer it could. I don't have the best skills with a router and I doubt I could get the holes good enough for a perfect fit, though I may experiment some.

magnets: on one speaker there are a few dimples where the drill went a hair too deep. that was corrected drilling the other holes.

I've seen a few other tritrix builds where the builder lined the cabnet with egg crate rather than using polyfill. Is there much difference? I've experimented with various ammounts of poly & using no damping material. Didn't really notice a huge difference.

I was pretty impressed by the sound of these. They seem a bit bright & forward but not fatiguing.

Comment

Working...
              X