Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maurbacs NS6 MTM

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: Maurbacs NS6 MTM

    Originally posted by rhubarb9999 View Post
    Quick question ...

    I bought all the parts to build the AURBACS but never got the cabinets together.

    I am now thinking of the MAURBACS .. so I would like to reuse as many parts as possible.


    The coils for the MAURBACS are 1.0mH and .15mH ... the AURBACS use a 1.2 and a .2.

    How big a difference would I see (or hear) by using the AURBACS coils?

    I don't have a DCR meter but I could unwrap each coil a few turns to get close.

    Thanks
    Yeah, unwrap a bit from each coil. If you don't it'll be close, but this way it will be better.
    You can build an impedance box for a couple of bucks and use it with the free LIMP software
    to get very accurate readings.

    I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

    High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

    Tangband W6-sub

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: Maurbacs NS6 MTM

      Tell me more of the impedance box of which you speak ...

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: Maurbacs NS6 MTM

        Actually check out one of icor's threads. You can use it with LIMP and ARTA to measure LCR and FR and Impedance

        रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
        return to the source
        leviathan system thread
        deadhorse thread
        shockwave build thread

        instagram :: greywarden_13

        in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: Maurbacs NS6 MTM

          Originally posted by rhubarb9999 View Post
          Tell me more of the impedance box of which you speak ...
          Best (simplest explanation) of the jig:
          http://zobsky.blogspot.com/2008/01/s...t-jig-for.html

          Slightly different form factor, same schematic:
          https://sites.google.com/site/amateu...-impedance-jig

          As far as I know, most LCR meters will give you one measurement for the device under test at
          1 KHz (since impedance varies with frequency). The jig and LIMP will give you a complete
          graph. Measure a couple of PE coils and you should see the listed impedance in the graph
          at 1K.

          regards,

          I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

          High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

          Tangband W6-sub

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: Maurbacs NS6 MTM

            Listening update.
            While reworking the Targas, I moved the Maurbacs to our bedroom, and we gave some Bob Marley a serious listen.
            Wow. Even in the current 34 liter box, the 2 NS6 woofers play with real authority, and they image VERY well,
            with a perfect balance from bass through mids, to the highs. (Driven by a lowly Lepai 20 watt amp)
            I can recommend these without hesitation for music.

            I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

            High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

            Tangband W6-sub

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: Maurbacs NS6 MTM

              Hi Don,
              I am a newbie to the speaker building and do not understand too much of technical terms. So I would just try to replicate your design.
              I want to build a complete HT system for movies.
              I would like to know which one do you suggest me to build,

              1. 2 Pairs of Aurbacs + 1 Maurbac as center (my preference) OR
              2. 3 Maurbacs (L/C/R) + 1 Pair Aurbac for surround.

              I will import only drivers and try to procure other crossover components in my place.

              -Prashanth

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: Maurbacs NS6 MTM

                Originally posted by photoprashanth View Post
                Hi Don,
                I am a newbie to the speaker building and do not understand too much of technical terms. So I would just try to replicate your design.
                I want to build a complete HT system for movies.
                I would like to know which one do you suggest me to build,

                1. 2 Pairs of Aurbacs + 1 Maurbac as center (my preference) OR
                2. 3 Maurbacs (L/C/R) + 1 Pair Aurbac for surround.

                I will import only drivers and try to procure other crossover components in my place.

                -Prashanth
                Hi Prashanth

                I would strongly advise building the Maurbacs as your front LCR - the cost is only a little more
                than the Aurbacs, and the crossover is significantly simpler and less costly.
                If you can, build the L + R into 1.5 cubic feet boxes (42 liters) for a better low end.
                The center channel will be fine in a 28 liter box.
                The port length will need to be a bit longer, I can provide that value if you decide on this option.
                the Aurbacs will make good rear surrounds - you can build them into .5 cubic feet boxes (14 liters)
                for a good match to the usually surround low end of about 80 Hz.
                Let me know if you need more assistance.
                Last edited by donradick; 08-25-2012, 03:51 AM. Reason: spelling

                I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

                High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

                Tangband W6-sub

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: Maurbacs NS6 MTM

                  Don, have you tried the Maurbacs in near field? Im thinking of computer speakers.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: Maurbacs NS6 MTM

                    Originally posted by Geniuss_dad View Post
                    Don, have you tried the Maurbacs in near field? Im thinking of computer speakers.

                    I ran them as my computer / desktop speaks for a few months (DTA-100a), they sounded very good from 3 feet or so -
                    but when I listened to them from 8-9 feet, they really seemed to "open up" with imaging. I've no idea whether you
                    would or could design a different crossover for near-field vs far-field. They will be able to get very loud and deep for
                    your use - not something you could say about very many desktop builds.

                    I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

                    High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

                    Tangband W6-sub

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: Maurbacs NS6 MTM

                      Originally posted by donradick View Post
                      Hi Prashanth

                      I would strongly advise building the Maurbacs as your front LCR - the cost is only a little more
                      than the Aurbacs, and the crossover is significantly simpler and less costly.
                      If you can, build the L + R into 1.5 cubic feet boxes (42 liters) for a better low end.
                      The center channel will be fine in a 28 liter box.
                      The port length will need to be a bit longer, I can provide that value if you decide on this option.
                      the Aurbacs will make good rear surrounds - you can build them into .5 cubic feet boxes (14 liters)
                      for a good match to the usually surround low end of about 80 Hz.
                      Let me know if you need more assistance.
                      Hi Don,
                      I have got all the drivers and built the crossovers. It took sometime for me to do it because I had to wound the inductors myself.
                      Now I connected the crossovers and checked with a dummy box and they sound clear. I am sure they should sound better when I build the actual enclosure.
                      As per your suggestion I am building about 1.5 cubic feet enclosure for fronts. I will first finish the fronts then start with center and surrounds.
                      Actual measurement of the box is (W=9 1/2" H=26" and D=15") 1.53 cubic feet.

                      This picture shows more or less how my box would look like.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	SpeakerBox_Maurbacs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1143908

                      I would like to know
                      What should be the port dimension and position?
                      I would like to position the port in the front baffle and at left or right side of the tweeter (like horizontal mirrored) or bottom.
                      What would you suggest for best sound.

                      Also, Whether the tweeter has to be at the right side for the right speaker and left side for the left speaker?

                      Regards,
                      Prashanth

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: Maurbacs NS6 MTM

                        Here's the progress on my Maurbacs' boxes.Click image for larger version

Name:	AdamSpeakersPreGlue072608_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	1143909Click image for larger version

Name:	AdamSpeakersPreGlue072608_002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	1143910Click image for larger version

Name:	AdamSpeakersPreGlue072608_005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	1143911

                        Looks pretty close to the CAD Drawing.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: Maurbacs NS6 MTM

                          Originally posted by photoprashanth View Post
                          Hi Don,
                          I have got all the drivers and built the crossovers. It took sometime for me to do it because I had to wound the inductors myself.
                          Now I connected the crossovers and checked with a dummy box and they sound clear. I am sure they should sound better when I build the actual enclosure.
                          As per your suggestion I am building about 1.5 cubic feet enclosure for fronts. I will first finish the fronts then start with center and surrounds.
                          Actual measurement of the box is (W=9 1/2" H=26" and D=15") 1.53 cubic feet.

                          This picture shows more or less how my box would look like.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]29322[/ATTACH]

                          I would like to know
                          What should be the port dimension and position?
                          I would like to position the port in the front baffle and at left or right side of the tweeter (like horizontal mirrored) or bottom.
                          What would you suggest for best sound.

                          Also, Whether the tweeter has to be at the right side for the right speaker and left side for the left speaker?

                          Regards,
                          Prashanth
                          Excellent!
                          1.5 cubic feet will give you an F3 of 46 Hz - use a 3 inch inside diameter port (in the U.S. I like to use PVC SCH40 plastic pipe) - 5.5 cm long. Tweeters must be offset to one side from the woofers. Later you can swap your speakers from left to right and decide if you prefer the tweeters on the inside or the outside. Clear?

                          Put the port on the front or back, close to the floor. If you are going to place them close to the back wall, then put the port on the front.
                          Line the box with 1 inch thick or thicker open cell foam (mattress or pillow).

                          Here are the simulation graphs:

                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by donradick; 09-12-2012, 10:09 PM. Reason: add port

                          I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

                          High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

                          Tangband W6-sub

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Re: Maurbacs NS6 MTM

                            Originally posted by Adam_G View Post
                            Here's the progress on my Maurbacs' boxes.[ATTACH=CONFIG]29325[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29326[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29327[/ATTACH]

                            Looks pretty close to the CAD Drawing.
                            Wow! gotta dig that slanted top. Nice work.
                            With your woodworking skills, how are you going to finish them?
                            Thanks for the post, Looking forward to your listening impressions.

                            I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

                            High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

                            Tangband W6-sub

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Re: Maurbacs NS6 MTM

                              Hi Don.

                              I've been looking into a high-sensitivity design to run off of my COUGAR Boom Box and after mulling over several drivers, I circled back to the Aura NS6 and then figured why not just build the Maurbacs???

                              So that's my intention, but I have a few questions. I don't need real deep bass extension. I'm more concerned with sensitivity as these will be running off of a 50-watt/channel (total) head unit amp. If I may ask, how much BSC is factored into the design? I know you mentioned that these get very loud very quickly.....do you have an idea of the design sensitivity?

                              I'm not looking to alter the design -- just want to make sure my application is appropriate. Thanks for any info you can provide.
                              Bryan K.

                              Midwest Audio Club

                              Speedster | | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | , COUGAR II and | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Re: Maurbacs NS6 MTM

                                Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
                                Hi Don.

                                I've been looking into a high-sensitivity design to run off of my COUGAR Boom Box and after mulling over several drivers, I circled back to the Aura NS6 and then figured why not just build the Maurbacs???

                                So that's my intention, but I have a few questions. I don't need real deep bass extension. I'm more concerned with sensitivity as these will be running off of a 50-
                                watt/channel (total) head unit amp. If I may ask, how much BSC is factored into the design? I know you mentioned that these get very loud very quickly.....do you have an idea of the design sensitivity?

                                I'm not looking to alter the design -- just want to make sure my application is appropriate. Thanks for any info you can provide.
                                These should work well for you. Factory specs and my T/S testing shows 91 db / 1 W - and with the MTM that makes 97 - factor out
                                3 dB of BSC, and you get 94. I can tell you that I am driving them off a Lepai 20W amp, and have never truned them up past about
                                "9 o'clock" - they would drive us out of the room!

                                I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                                "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

                                High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                                SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                                My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

                                Tangband W6-sub

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X