Statements - I Finally Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statements - I Finally Started

After over a year of putting off the start of my Statements build it finally got started last Sunday. The sheer size of the boxes and my habit of working alone made this a daunting project to start. It no less daunting now that I've started, but I feel better about all the drivers sitting on the shelf. Man are those boxes are big....

MDF dust has been a royal pain in the ... but now I have something to help with that issue. A recent windfall left me with some cash, which I converted into a DeWalt shop vacuum with AC outlet. Another $50 bill later and I was installing a dust shroud on my PC 690 router. I am happy to report that the combination works extremely well. Rear baffles were flush trimmed in no time and there was nearly no clean-up.

Still trying to decide on veneers, paper back Cherry or Walnut, or raw veneers. I would really like to use something stunning and dark but am concerned about the size of these boxes and my ability to do a satisfactory job with raw veneer. For some reason paper back veneer seems less intimidating, but the choices are not as varied in my price range.....
    Attached Files
    If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
    ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Re: Statements - I Finally Started

Ed we seem to be following the same path... I too have all the drivers for the statements and am just waiting for my year to pass:D

Looking good!

I am thinking about attempting curved statements...
    Jason

"In my opinion, there are more tactful ways to state your opinion."

Comment

Originally posted by bungelow_ed View Post
      After over a year of putting off the start of my Statements build it finally got started last Sunday. The sheer size of the boxes and my habit of working alone made this a daunting project to start. It no less daunting now that I've started, but I feel better about all the drivers sitting on the shelf. Man are those boxes are big....

MDF dust has been a royal pain in the ... but now I have something to help with that issue. A recent windfall left me with some cash, which I converted into a DeWalt shop vacuum with AC outlet. Another $50 bill later and I was installing a dust shroud on my PC 690 router. I am happy to report that the combination works extremely well. Rear baffles were flush trimmed in no time and there was nearly no clean-up.

Still trying to decide on veneers, paper back Cherry or Walnut, or raw veneers. I would really like to use something stunning and dark but am concerned about the size of these boxes and my ability to do a satisfactory job with raw veneer. For some reason paper back veneer seems less intimidating, but the choices are not as varied in my price range.....
      Good to see you starting on some monsters!

A bit OT, but got a link for that vac shroud? I have a 690 as well....

Can't wait to see your finish, it's always fantastic!
      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

I used the PSA Walnut from Rockler. Easy to apply & finished beautifully. Pic is in my avatar, but better pics here:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/al...pictureid=3904
        Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

Originally posted by RINNAV View Post
          I am thinking about attempting curved statements...
          Curved cabinets that big would have me thinking about building for 2 yrs! Yikes! I am looking forward to your build.
          If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
          ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Henry View Post
            I used the PSA Walnut from Rockler. Easy to apply & finished beautifully. Pic is in my avatar, but better pics here:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/al...pictureid=3904
            That is some beautiful walnut. I'm definitely going to have to look into Rockler's PSA Walnut.
            ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

What was the deal with the drivers for these anyways? Do the non shielded reference series work or is there a different crossover for them? How about them TB mids? Go with the neo or is there a ferrite version that's workable? I'm thinking about diving into a pair of these, maybe next spring. Guess I've got some homework to do. Nice cabs, can't wait to check out how these turn out.
              My modest builds:
              Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
              Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
              Armadillo Center Channel
              Au-Rock-O Sub
              Tarkus
              Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Great to hear you're getting on with the Statements. I was in the same boat as you and have been building Statements, the center and a sub for over a year. All 5 are now complete in raw MDF, and I've been running them for about a month. All I can say is they are stunning and a testament to Jim and Curt.

I am also getting ready to veneer and finish these and am going after a very dark red mahogany color, sort of a dark walnut with some red to add richeness. I am using Lyptus veneer, 10 MIL paperback from Oakwood Veneer that I got very discounted. You should check out their site, as they always have some nice specials on veneer overstocks and such. I hope to post some picks soon after I start the process. Feel free to message me if you want to learn from the mistakes and/or finish samples I'm about to make.

ANd yes, the MDF dust is crazy, and moving the statements around is a workout. I'm starting to think the open back mid chambers were designed in as handles.;)

Comment

Originally posted by bolland83 View Post
                  What was the deal with the drivers for these anyways? Do the non shielded reference series work or is there a different crossover for them? How about them TB mids? Go with the neo or is there a ferrite version that's workable? I'm thinking about diving into a pair of these, maybe next spring. Guess I've got some homework to do. Nice cabs, can't wait to check out how these turn out.
                  The new non shielded RS225's work fine and offer the same performance as the original. The non neo versions of the TB 1337's do not interchange. You've got to use the neo variety.

HTH

Jim

Comment

Bolland83 - I built my ported statements with the new unshielded drivers and did not modify the cabinet dimensions much (mine are actually slightly larger than spec) and only modified the crossover by doubling up some resistors for a little piece of mind on power handling, and did not change values. I can tell you after listening for hours that the documented crossover works perfect and I couldn't be happier.

I also remember Curt saying that the original plans using the RS225S could actually be slightly larger with very little impact on the box tuning. I took this and ran with it, keeping the crossover and cabinet the same size with the newer non-shieled drivers. The TB mids work the same in all various iterations of the part number suffix as far as I know, so there shouldn't be any issues with the mids.

Comment

Guys enjoy your Statements. I am still head over heels for mine. I've recently a/b'd some PSB Synchrony Ones and Dynaudio Contour S 3.4's and the owners were quite surprised to say the least.

I'm beginning to wonder what sub $10K commercial speaker can walk away from the Statements. My build took a bit over 6 months. Using pre-veneered cherry MDF helped cut some labor out. ($78 for a sheet!) woot.

Comment

What Jim said is more correct. I should have said all iterations of the TB NEO mid for the 1337 should work the same...not the non-NEO version. Thanks for clarifying my comment Jim, and thanks so much for the major enjoyment I'm getting out of these Statements!

Comment

Originally posted by bittermidget View Post
                          What Jim said is more correct. I should have said all iterations of the TB NEO mid for the 1337 should work the same...not the non-NEO version. Thanks for clarifying my comment Jim, and thanks so much for the major enjoyment I'm getting out of these Statements!
                          Thanks to all for the very nice comments but Curt is the one that should receive the praise. He is the crossover wizard that makes the Statements sing. I just do the heavy lifting. :D

Enjoy your Statements!

Jim

Comment

Interesting to hear of all the people building Statements. They are not the impulse build some of the other popular designs are.

As for drivers, mine were purchased and in my possession this time last year. These days I feel fortunate to have bought when I did. A couple of months later Neodymium prices shot up and now I believe the full driver/x-over BOM is about $1K. I haven't confirmed that they are shielded, but that is not a critical parameter.

Looking at my veneer inventory, I have 1-4x8 sheet each of plain sawn Walnut and Cherry. My simplest, least expensive, solution might be to choose which to use and purchase another sheet. This way I can proceed with one cabinet while waiting on the veneer for the other.

Couple of questions: anyone know of a good 2" floor spike, and is the 4" port length simply overall length using the designated port parts, or is 4" the straight portion of the port? I have 3" Precision ports and would like clarification before cutting things up.
                            ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

Originally posted by bungelow_ed View Post
                              Interesting to hear of all the people building Statements. They are not the impulse build some of the other popular designs are.

As for drivers, mine were purchased and in my possession this time last year. These days I feel fortunate to have bought when I did. A couple of months later Neodymium prices shot up and now I believe the full driver/x-over BOM is about $1K. I haven't confirmed that they are shielded, but that is not a critical parameter.

Looking at my veneer inventory, I have 1-4x8 sheet each of plain sawn Walnut and Cherry. My simplest, least expensive, solution might be to choose which to use and purchase another sheet. This way I can proceed with one cabinet while waiting on the veneer for the other.

Couple of questions: anyone know of a good 2" floor spike, and is the 4" port length simply overall length using the designated port parts, or is 4" the straight portion of the port? I have 3" Precision ports and would like clarification before cutting things up.
                              I'm guessing a bit but I think it would be safe to say that somewhere around 400+ pairs of various Statements designs have been built worldwide. They're everywhere! :eek:

Port length is based on the PE make a port kits and yes, the straight tube is 4" plus the inner and outer flare. You'll have to convert the make a port kit to the Precision Port dimensions.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X