X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReissM
    replied
    Re: Imperial Russian Stouts - Fountek 3 Way

Mmmmmm... these are tastey. They look incredible.

Don't beat yourself up about the back... we are our own worst critic sometimes.

I love the look of these and would bet hard earned cash that they sound as good as they look. Nicely done.

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Thanks for the kind words. I made some poor construction choices for the removable backs, and the associated edging (hot glue) needs some fixing. That's why no pic of the cab backs :D

I was really happy about how the beech matched the walnut sapwood. Again Waterlox was the only finish. Didn't tint the walnut at all.

The Black Walnut came from my local Woodcraft. 9" wide by about 90" long, ~$52.

The Beech came from Rosebud Veneer on Ebay. I've bought severel things from him because his prices are typically the lowest I've seen and he often has wide lots so I don't have to splice. Usually raw veneer though. In this case the Beech was 16.5 wide x 108. I think my delivered price was about 75c/ ft sq. It was a bit wavy so I softened and flattened.

I've gotten "eye" Beech (kind of like Birdseye), European Ash, and Anigre for similar prices all with 8" or greater widths.

Originally posted by hthale View Post
    Absolutely beautiful cabinets! I would like to have those in my house even if they sounded terrible. Just wondered where you got your walnut and veneer.
    Congrats on a job well done!!
    Last edited by fastbike1; 06-21-2012, 08:05 PM. Reason: fat fingers

Leave a comment:

• hthale
    replied

Absolutely beautiful cabinets! I would like to have those in my house even if they sounded terrible. Just wondered where you got your walnut and veneer.
    Congrats on a job well done!!

Leave a comment:

• Paul K.
    replied

Oh, you're absolutely correct; the venues play a really big part of how orchestras sound. And, different orchestras on different CDs playing the same score will sound different. Probably a better and more practical live reference would be a small ensemble, like a string quartet, quintet, or sextet, although the frequency range will be more limited than if an orchestra, but our audio systems will have a much better chance of replicating the same dynamic range and ultimate loudness of a smaller group. Not to beat a dead horse, I just don't take think a lot of people often take into account reality when they gush about how well their systems reproduce "live" performances they attend where all the music is coming from speakers and an amplification/EQ chain. In any event, live and let live!
    Paul

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
    Paul, I do understand what you're saying. I do think that "your" standard is even more difficult to compare. Here's why: I frequently attend the symphony in both Fort Worth and Dallas. I have heard both orchestras do the same piece and they do not sound at all alike. I have a distinct preference for Fort Worth, both because I much prefer Bass Hall's acoustics to The Myerson and I much prefer the Fort Worth Symphony to the DSO.

In this case, one would need a piece performed by these orchestras, yes? Like you, I suspect, I have multiple copies of various classical pieces by multiple conductors and orchestras. Some vary significantly in sound, not just recording technique. What to do in theses cases?

What affronted me originally is the notion that I somehow did not understand what I was hearing. That may not have been (now I don't think it was) your intention, but that's what I got. Probably should have stated that up front and I suspect we would have been on common ground.

Personally, I did not see this as bickering but more as two distinct viewpoints trying to be clear to each other.

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Paul, I do understand what you're saying. I do think that "your" standard is even more difficult to compare. Here's why: I frequently attend the symphony in both Fort Worth and Dallas. I have heard both orchestras do the same piece and they do not sound at all alike. I have a distinct preference for Fort Worth, both because I much prefer Bass Hall's acoustics to The Myerson and I much prefer the Fort Worth Symphony to the DSO.

In this case, one would need a piece performed by these orchestras, yes? Like you, I suspect, I have multiple copies of various classical pieces by multiple conductors and orchestras. Some vary significantly in sound, not just recording technique. What to do in theses cases?

What affronted me originally is the notion that I somehow did not understand what I was hearing. That may not have been (now I don't think it was) your intention, but that's what I got. Probably should have stated that up front and I suspect we would have been on common ground.

Personally, I did not see this as bickering but more as two distinct viewpoints trying to be clear to each other.

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
    I'm not really bickering or arguing with you and I apologize for not stating my point(s) clearly enough. Thus, I want to take one more shot at it. First this has nothing to do with musical preferences and there is no intent on my part of criticizing your or anyone's preferences.

I would certainly hope that when one listens at home to music, from a CD for instance, that's a performance one could also hear "live" via all amplified sound, the musical reproduction at home should fairly easily and accurately replicate that live performance within reasonable expectations of dynamic and loudness abilities, and frequency response to a lesser extent. IOW considering those 3 probable limitations, what you hear at home ought to sound very, very close to what you would hear "live", and the fact that you enjoy it because you really like that kind of music is icing on the cake, actually. When you listen at home and compare it to a "live" performance, essentially the only difference in the chain is your source at home is a CD, for instance, and the "live" source is a vocalist singing into a mike, both comparison sounds going through similar electronic manipulation and amplification to exit a speaker system.

But what I'm saying is even though the above is true, on a purely technical basis a better measure of your audio systems capabilities is to compare its sound to that of live un-amplified and non-augmented music. which is virtually impossible to achieve with any popular music just due to the nature of the process. For me, then, this reference can only be a symphony orchestra. The fact I don't like or particularly care for other types of music is besides the point.
    Paul

Leave a comment:

• manu et deo
    replied

those are beautiful, makes me want to run out and buy them: oh wait! you can only get the kind of quality(at that pricepoint) if you build them yourself! IMO:D

Leave a comment:

• bungelow_ed
    replied

Those are some very nice looking cabinets... the Walnut sapwood really ratchets up the contrasts and adds a lot of interest. Glad to see you have been busy lately.

Leave a comment:

• Paul K.
    replied

I'm not really bickering or arguing with you and I apologize for not stating my point(s) clearly enough. Thus, I want to take one more shot at it. First this has nothing to do with musical preferences and there is no intent on my part of criticizing your or anyone's preferences.

I would certainly hope that when one listens at home to music, from a CD for instance, that's a performance one could also hear "live" via all amplified sound, the musical reproduction at home should fairly easily and accurately replicate that live performance within reasonable expectations of dynamic and loudness abilities, and frequency response to a lesser extent. IOW considering those 3 probable limitations, what you hear at home ought to sound very, very close to what you would hear "live", and the fact that you enjoy it because you really like that kind of music is icing on the cake, actually. When you listen at home and compare it to a "live" performance, essentially the only difference in the chain is your source at home is a CD, for instance, and the "live" source is a vocalist singing into a mike, both comparison sounds going through similar electronic manipulation and amplification to exit a speaker system.

But what I'm saying is even though the above is true, on a purely technical basis a better measure of your audio systems capabilities is to compare its sound to that of live un-amplified and non-augmented music. which is virtually impossible to achieve with any popular music just due to the nature of the process. For me, then, this reference can only be a symphony orchestra. The fact I don't like or particularly care for other types of music is besides the point.
    Paul

You know, it was done well before you added your reasoned guidance. :rolleyes:

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

You know, it was done well before you added your reasoned guidance. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
    Y'all shut the hell up. Bickering like children.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

Y'all shut the hell up. Bickering like children.

Leave a comment:

• Paul K.
    replied

That's odd. I got email notifications that you had responded twice to me in this thread but only this one shows up in the thread. Did you delete the one where you said you agreed with me on no system ever being able to reproduce accurately a symphony orchestra but that you felt sad for me? Don't feel sad because of my musical tastes; I'm not missing anything just because I don't listen to or like popular or amplified music. We all have our likes and dislikes (I hate beer but love wine) and just because ours aren't the same as others doesn't mean either of us is less fortunate or missing out.
    Paul

I debated responding again but I'll just leave it at: I think you miss the point with your narrow definition. When I play a Lyle Lovett tune, his guitar sounds like it does when I see him on stage. No more, but no less.

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

I debated responding again but I'll just leave it at: I think you miss the point with your narrow definition. When I play a Lyle Lovett tune, his guitar sounds like it does when I see him on stage. No more, but no less.

The point I'm trying to get across is that for the most part whenever anyone says "when I'm listening to (him/her/them) on my system, they sound exactly like when I've heard them live at concerts", with the unrealized implication, and belief, perhaps, that their system is able to accurately able to reproduce a truly live performance that has not been electronically altered and, that, hearing those performers without any of the electronic manipulation or effects would sound the same. For my case I only attend performances by symphony orchestras where there is no electronic meddling with the sound. The one time I did attend a "live" performance in the last 20 years that was altered, which happened to be one by Doc Severson (sp?) and the Tonight Show band, I was sorely and completely disappointed because all I heard was coming from mikes and amplifier and speakers, not the least bit live in my opinion, even though there were live musicians performing on stage. I'm not saying that my audio system can completely and accurately reproduce a truly live performance by a symphony orchestra, because that will probably never be able to be accomplished, but it is the reference I use. Yes, you are correct; my definition does preclude any and all amplified music, including a single guitar and amp/speaker. That's okay because I don't listen or much like those types of instruments or music. Nothing wrong with other people liking it, however.
    Paul

Leave a comment:

• Paul K.
    replied

The point I'm trying to get across is that for the most part whenever anyone says "when I'm listening to (him/her/them) on my system, they sound exactly like when I've heard them live at concerts", with the unrealized implication, and belief, perhaps, that their system is able to accurately able to reproduce a truly live performance that has not been electronically altered and, that, hearing those performers without any of the electronic manipulation or effects would sound the same. For my case I only attend performances by symphony orchestras where there is no electronic meddling with the sound. The one time I did attend a "live" performance in the last 20 years that was altered, which happened to be one by Doc Severson (sp?) and the Tonight Show band, I was sorely and completely disappointed because all I heard was coming from mikes and amplifier and speakers, not the least bit live in my opinion, even though there were live musicians performing on stage. I'm not saying that my audio system can completely and accurately reproduce a truly live performance by a symphony orchestra, because that will probably never be able to be accomplished, but it is the reference I use. Yes, you are correct; my definition does preclude any and all amplified music, including a single guitar and amp/speaker. That's okay because I don't listen or much like those types of instruments or music. Nothing wrong with other people liking it, however.
    Paul

[QUOTE=fastbike1;1840475]I know what your're saying, but I don't get your intent. With the exception of symphonic, chamber, or small venue jazz, one almost never hears music without some associated processing chain. Your definition foregoes any amplified music, i.e. even a simple guitar and amp. Continuing with that logic how would one ever have "reference" music for comparison? So we should have this pedantic caveat whenever we describe a system's sound? It's hard enough as it is.

However just so we're all perfectly clear, I do know what a live guitar, kick drum, bass, cello, violin, orchestra, etc sounds like. FWIW, Lyle has a characteristic sound from his guitar/soundman/mixing panel, etc. The Imperials faithfully reproduce that sound.

Also, it's Jays accomplishment, I just built them.

Very nice job and while I know you're tickled pink with how they sound, I want to make the point about your comparison to live sound. When you say you've heard Lyle Lovett live 6 times and your new speakers nail his sound, you must realize you didn't really hear Lyle "live" at those concerts. Yes, Lyle was singing live in front of you, but he was singing into a microphone, whose signal was processed through who knows how many stages of electronics and, likely, equalization, then through some power amplifiers, ending up coming out of some speakers. So, when anyone says their system sounds exactly like what they heard by the same performers in concert as in your example, what we're really saying is the sound coming from our system is exactly like the sound coming from another system, albeit at a live performance. The only true way to compare to a live sound is when that live sound is not in the least augmented or affected by electronics and/or speakers. Please do not take what I've said as criticism of your accomplishment, as it's absolutely not meant to be that. Rather, just view what I've said as a little bit of reality. Again, you did a really good job and your speakers look might nice.
    Paul

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

Pure sexiness. I cant wait to get back home and get my hands dirty on the Deadhorse project again.

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

Also, it's Jays accomplishment, I just built them.
    Don't short change your cabinet handy work I wish I could make something that looked that nice from scratch and the part that will be noticed over the internet was all you.

Take it easy
    Jay

Leave a comment:

Working...
X