X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fastbike1
    replied
    Re: Imperial Russian Stouts - Fountek 3 Way

I know what your're saying, but I don't get your intent. With the exception of symphonic, chamber, or small venue jazz, one almost never hears music without some associated processing chain. Your definition foregoes any amplified music, i.e. even a simple guitar and amp. Continuing with that logic how would one ever have "reference" music for comparison? So we should have this pedantic caveat whenever we describe a system's sound? It's hard enough as it is.

However just so we're all perfectly clear, I do know what a live guitar, kick drum, bass, cello, violin, orchestra, etc sounds like. FWIW, Lyle has a characteristic sound from his guitar/soundman/mixing panel, etc. The Imperials faithfully reproduce that sound.

Also, it's Jays accomplishment, I just built them.

[QUOTE=Paul K.;1840468]Very nice job and while I know you're tickled pink with how they sound, I want to make the point about your comparison to live sound. When you say you've heard Lyle Lovett live 6 times and your new speakers nail his sound, you must realize you didn't really hear Lyle "live" at those concerts. Yes, Lyle was singing live in front of you, but he was singing into a microphone, whose signal was processed through who knows how many stages of electronics and, likely, equalization, then through some power amplifiers, ending up coming out of some speakers. So, when anyone says their system sounds exactly like what they heard by the same performers in concert as in your example, what we're really saying is the sound coming from our system is exactly like the sound coming from another system, albeit at a live performance. The only true way to compare to a live sound is when that live sound is not in the least augmented or affected by electronics and/or speakers. Please do not take what I've said as criticism of your accomplishment, as it's absolutely not meant to be that. Rather, just view what I've said as a little bit of reality. Again, you did a really good job and your speakers look might nice.
    Paul

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
    AKA Imperials.
    DX25TG09, FW146, 2x FW168
    Crossover Design by Jay (Brewski)
    Black Walnut Baffle, Figured German Beech Veneer over plywood. Waterlox for finish.

Didn't seem like it would ever happen. Like several others, painting the cab led to several problems and required stripping then veneering the cabs. I am pleased with the final finish, and I learned a ton about some of the construction choices I made.

At the risk of being over-subtle, these speakers really are a home run. Tight bass, clear mids, orderly highs. Kick drums thump, acoustic bass sound like you're in front of the stage. Vocals (Alison Krauss, Norah Jones, Ella Fitzgerald, and Lyle Lovett) are clear and display each singer's style perfectly. I've heard Lyle live six times and the speakers nail his sound.
    I have some solo cello pieces that really put the cello in the room. I could not be happier about the sound quality. So far, I've only run them through a Squeezebox and a DTA-100A. With better (more) power I expect them to be a further revelation.

I can't thank Jay (Brewski) enough for his design, patience, and encouragement. Best news: All of these drivers are available.

Design Thread here: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...light=imperial

Build Thread here: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=228238

Leave a comment:

• Paul K.
    replied

Very nice job and while I know you're tickled pink with how they sound, I want to make the point about your comparison to live sound. When you say you've heard Lyle Lovett live 6 times and your new speakers nail his sound, you must realize you didn't really hear Lyle "live" at those concerts. Yes, Lyle was singing live in front of you, but he was singing into a microphone, whose signal was processed through who knows how many stages of electronics and, likely, equalization, then through some power amplifiers, ending up coming out of some speakers. So, when anyone says their system sounds exactly like what they heard by the same performers in concert as in your example, what we're really saying is the sound coming from our system is exactly like the sound coming from another system, albeit at a live performance. The only true way to compare to a live sound is when that live sound is not in the least augmented or affected by electronics and/or speakers. Please do not take what I've said as criticism of your accomplishment, as it's absolutely not meant to be that. Rather, just view what I've said as a little bit of reality. Again, you did a really good job and your speakers look might nice.
    Paul

[QUOTE=fastbike1;1840441]AKA Imperials.
    Black Walnut Baffle, Figured German Beech Veneer over plywood. Waterlox for finish.

Didn't seem like it would ever happen. Like several others, painting the cab led to several problems and required stripping then veneering the cabs. I am pleased with the final finish, and I learned a ton about some of the construction choices I made.

At the risk of being over-subtle, these speakers really are a home run. Tight bass, clear mids, orderly highs. Kick drums thump, acoustic bass sound like you're in front of the stage. Vocals (Alison Krauss, Norah Jones, Ella Fitzgerald, and Lyle Lovett) are clear and display each singer's style perfectly. I've heard Lyle live six times and the speakers nail his sound.
    I have some solo cello pieces that really put the cello in the room. I could not be happier about the sound quality. So far, I've only run them through a Squeezebox and a DTA-100A. With better (more) power I expect them to be a further revelation.

I can't thank Jay (Brewski) enough for his design, patience, and encouragement. Best news: All of these drivers are available.

Leave a comment:

• sriegel923
    replied

those look fantastic! i love the figuring/grain pattern on the veneer. makes me want to start another project. congratulations and thanks for the build links. i'm heading there right now.
    Scott
    Duvall, WA

Leave a comment:

• JasonP
    replied

They do indeed look amazing. I hope they sound like they look! Someday I'll finish my Wavefronts, but I'm too busy listening to them to take them down and do that @[email protected] I should never have set them up before they were cosmetically done.

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied
    Imperial Russian Stouts -More pics

Jay: absolutely feel free to link

More pics.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC6466.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1140580

Name:	_DSC6474.jpg
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1140581

Name:	_DSC6472.jpg
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1140582

Name:	_DSC6465.jpg
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1140583

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

They look beautiful hopefully they'll give you many many years of service as your mains and HT speakers. Thanks for building them.... Alright if I add a link to my sig for them?

Take it easy
    Jay

crossover info:

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    started a topic Imperial Russian Stouts - Fountek 3 Way

Imperial Russian Stouts - Fountek 3 Way

AKA Imperials.

At the risk of being over-subtle, these speakers really are a home run. Tight bass, clear mids, orderly highs. Kick drums thump, acoustic bass sounds like you're in front of the stage. Vocals (Alison Krauss, Norah Jones, Ella Fitzgerald, and Lyle Lovett) are clear and display each singer's style perfectly. I've heard Lyle live six times and the speakers nail his sound.

Name:	_DSC6459-small.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1181369

Name:	_DSC6460-small.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1181370

Name:	_DSC6461-small.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1181371

Name:	_DSC6462.jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1181372

Name:	_DSC6463.jpg
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1181373
    Last edited by fastbike1; 06-18-2012, 08:21 AM.
Working...
X