X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fastbike1
    replied
    Re: Imperial Russian Stouts - Fountek 3 Way

These are still my mains. Friends with better ears than I (and a critical perspective) think they sound exceptionally good. I have built several speakers since the IRS but have not felt like replacing them.
    Do note that I try to enjoy the music and movies rather than constantly analyze performance of my gear. I can say that once the music starts, I forget about the speakers.

As always, YMMV, FWIW, etc. I haven't regretted any of the time or money invested in these.

Originally posted by bill poster View Post
    I love that driver combo! Interested to know your full opinion on the tweets- I've read the x/o has to be well designed to get the best out of 'em

Leave a comment:

• bill poster
    replied

I love that driver combo! Interested to know your full opinion on the tweets- I've read the x/o has to be well designed to get the best out of 'em

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

As you might guess, Brewski was a fan of Stone's beers. The I.R.S. is supposed to remind you of a mug with the head overflowing.

Enjoy!

Originally posted by Derekj View Post
    Great looking speakers! That baffle is a really nice piece of wood.

I must say the title of your thread reminded me about some RIS I have in the garage, this one is 2 years old - getting opened on Friday!

Leave a comment:

• Derekj
    replied

Great looking speakers! That baffle is a really nice piece of wood.

I must say the title of your thread reminded me about some RIS I have in the garage, this one is 2 years old - getting opened on Friday!

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Kerry, Mike,

Thanks for the compliments. I was really pleased with how the German Dog-eared Beech went with the Walnut.

I'm also glad the paint didn't work.

Leave a comment:

• Mike220
    replied

I'm glad the paint job didn't work out for you. Top notch finish on those bad boys. Stunning grain patterns!

Leave a comment:

• Navy Guy
    replied

Love the baffles!

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Thanks, They are still my mains. Brewski did a great job on the crossover.

Originally posted by PassingInterest View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread just to say these look great, but dang these look great!

Leave a comment:

• PassingInterest
    replied

Sorry to revive an old thread just to say these look great, but dang these look great!

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Thanks. They are a nice driver combo.

Originally posted by MarkL View Post
    Yeah, but you could have built them wrong, so you do get some credit

I hope to build a similar pair soon.

Leave a comment:

• MarkL
    replied

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
    Also, it's Jays accomplishment, I just built them.
    Yeah, but you could have built them wrong, so you do get some credit

I hope to build a similar pair soon.

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

60Hz is leftover from the previous speaks. 40 or 50 is probably the right place. I didn't get the meter out for this listening, but I'm somewhere around 75-80 dB for sustained levels for movies. WBCD shows pretty drastic overexcursion below 40 Hz w 40 watts, so I'm a little uncomfortable running full range for movies. We do get exuberant sometimes.

With a 40Hz LR4 highpass, the model still shows 43/36 F3/F10 and no overexcursion. This is a nice place for the Imperials so that's probably where I'll stay for movies. I have a decent sub and am in the process of replacing same with 2 to 4 significantly better ones (2 Infinity 1260W, 2 Vifa NE315W) so I don't think I'll run full range mains for movies. If the subs turn out as I expect, I probably won't run full range mains for music either. My music library has equal parts classical, jazz, rock/blues with a fair number of organ pieces.

Originally posted by Brewski View Post
    FastBike,

Are you playing them fairly loud for HT? 60Hz is probably pretty reasonable and more realistic but I've played mine to 40Hz at fairly loud levels and they've handled it well. If I don't have them cranked I've just let them run full with the sub to fill in what they can't get to as well. The driver seems to be able to take a beating pretty well since I've seen mine tortured a few times by Mike Z.

Take it easy
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

FastBike,

Are you playing them fairly loud for HT? 60Hz is probably pretty reasonable and more realistic but I've played mine to 40Hz at fairly loud levels and they've handled it well. If I don't have them cranked I've just let them run full with the sub to fill in what they can't get to as well. The driver seems to be able to take a beating pretty well since I've seen mine tortured a few times by Mike Z.

Take it easy
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Here's a follow-up on movie performance. These cross to the sub at 60Hz for movie duty.

I've run the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Sherlock Holmes 2, Ironman 2, Game of Thrones, a Sara Bareilles concert, Chris Botti in Boston bluray, and a Mahler symphony bluray.

Continue to be exceedingly pleased with the speaker performance.

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

I certainly have no regrets about the sound. Frankly, I quickly lose interest in analyzing the performance and just start listening to the music.

To me, that's the most positive recommendation I can make.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X