• pierre666
    replied
    Re: SB Acoustic 3W

so here a look at the ''almost'' finish product

Leave a comment:

• ryanbouma
    replied

It's tought to tell Pierre. The low end bump is strange, but that might be BSC is they just used FR traces. If you're set on those drivers, try both cross overs... If they suck, mail them to me and I'll use them ;)

Leave a comment:

• pierre666
    replied

Here is another one...is this one any better ?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• chrisn
    replied

Originally posted by pierre666 View Post

As I said, I know nothing about crossover design but if you read the writup of the design, his first music test was done with AC/DC and Megadeth....!!! I am no stranger to metal music but is it possible to evaluate a crossover design with that type of music ??
    I use music I'm familiar with when designing/voicing a speaker, since that will be its final use. Besides, who would want a speaker that can't play metal? Those drivers look good on paper. I think it would be a good idea to sim the design first. Crossover count seems small for 12db slopes, no notches...

Leave a comment:

• spasticteapot
    replied

Don't underestimate other high-value drivers. SB Acoustics products are very good, but frequently lose to similarly priced speakers using parts from other manufacturers in DIY competitions. The SB12 has the same limitations as many cone midrange drivers, and the SB17 may distort more than larger woofers at high output.

Leave a comment:

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
    replied

the sb29 is a fine tweeter.

Leave a comment:

• pierre666
    replied

I think this thread should have been in the Tech talk Forum...!! Sorry!:D

Leave a comment:

• pierre666
    replied

That's not a cheap speaker. I wonder if there isn't better for the money out there. Why all SB?
    Because I know what I am getting into...I've heard those drivers SB17 and SB12 ( except for the tweeter) and I can tell you that they really sound much more expensive then they really are...! Problem; getting a fine Xover design!

Leave a comment:

• ryanbouma
    replied

I think the low pass on the mid is a little odd.

Considering they measured in an anechoic chamber gives them quite a bit of credibility over us hacks, but they don't show the FR. They do show this: http://rabu-acoustics.dk/popup_image...780&height=800

Hard to read the FR off a CSD plot, but I'd say the FR looks bad based on that...

That's not a cheap speaker. I wonder if there isn't better for the money out there. Why all SB? Can you go with a larger woofer?

Leave a comment:

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
    replied

yeah, the woofers must be crossing quite high.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Since they're all on the flat-baffle, I find it unlikely that the electrical slopes should all be 12dB.

Other than that, the coil on the woofers seems a bit small.

Just a penny or two...
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• pierre666
    started a topic SB Acoustic 3W

SB Acoustic 3W

Hi,

I have been looking for a while for a 3 way project using SB Acoustic drivers. I wanted to have a small tower that can deliver good base extension and a great midrange for jazz and rock music. I have heard such a project in our regional DIY annual meeting but a lot of thing wheren't exactly what I wanted...
    I found eactly what I wanted at Rabu Acoustic.

http://rabu-acoustics.dk/byggesaet-4...coustics-p1256

Since I am mostly a cabinet maker, I am not capable of designing crossover or calculating phases etc... Rabu Acoustic is a Danish vender of Sb Acoustic that has designed a 3 way using on each side:

1 x SB-Acoustics SB29RDC-C000-4
    1 x SB12MNRX25-4
    2 x SB17NRXC35-8

I know that this combinaison of drivers is a winner, the only things I am worried about is the crossover design. As I said, I know nothing about crossover design but if you read the writup of the design, his first music test was done with AC/DC and Megadeth....!!! I am no stranger to metal music but is it possible to evaluate a crossover design with that type of music ??

Here it is...

Please reassure me ....I am about to start this great project!!!

THX
Working...
X