replied
    Re: Tarkus & Armadillo build.

Gaelen,
    Fantastic work!

Leave a comment:

• Thomas Brown
    replied

I will be more than happy to post some pics - soon (for me that may be a couple weeks)
    I'm actually working on getting them into there new home right now.

Leave a comment:

• bolland83
    replied

Thanks guys! You'd have to ask Tommy (forum member ThomasBrown) about pictures, they're his, I no longer have them. I do have a set of my own though, I think his turned out nicer. Check the link in my sig for the thread if you want to check out mine.

Leave a comment:

• Mikers
    replied

Inspired! Nice work. Any chance of posting a picture of them installed?

Leave a comment:

• Soundslike
    replied

Gaelen,
    Another nice build. You do great work my man....

Leave a comment:

• Thomas Brown
    replied

It has been a long time since I got skin-n!pples from listening to music, but at Gaellens house my arms looked like a plucked chicken on first listen.
    WOW!! Complete sensory overload!
    I know you don't hear with your eyes, but the incredible sound combined with stunning looks and craftsmanship was all it took

Gaellen, It was a pleasure working with you - you have some skills! It was a pleasure meeting you and the GF, and Thank You for opening up your house to the pair of "Stinks".

Mark, also a pleasure to meet you - "There is just something about a three-way". Whether you like it or not, you will take your credit on the 'Dillo center!

More detail to come as they go into there new home, but gotta go back into this crazy week!!!

Almost forgot to thank Paul Carmody for his Tarkus design, they should be in every home

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

If I'm ever out that way, it'll have to be just shy of or just after winter. This dude would be a massive puddle by the time he left otherwise.
    The wife and I have discussed it briefly a couple times.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• bolland83
    replied

I had a great time having you guys over, and I'm really relieved that Tommy is as thrilled as I am with how these turned out. Such a great guy, I have to say thanks for the goodies, they will be put to good use, as soon as I can make up my mind on a build for them :D

Mark, you're crazy, give yourself some credit man!

Wolf, if you're ever out this way, give us a holler, you're welcome to stop by and hang out any time.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

If I coulda been a fly on the wall....
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Mark65
    replied

I cruised out to Gaelen's house yesterday to see and hear these gems, and to meet Tommy and the Mrs. Lemme tell ya, the pics don't do justice. Stunning really doesn't begin to describe the way these look, and of course the sound is what we all expect from the Tarkus (I refuse to engage in self promotion for the Armadillo center. Seriously. I refuse, and you CANNOT make me take credit for the crossovers. So don't try. ;)).
    I have to admit that I'm a little peeved at the fact that things that Gaelen did on these that he describes as "a little tricky" are things that I would describe as "there's no @&%*ing way I can do that":eek:.
    Suffice it to say, I'm beyond impressed.:applause:
    Also, meeting Stinky and Mrs. Stinky was a real pleasure, they are both great people that I am honored to now know.

Job well done, Gaelen; and Tommy, enjoy in good health!

Mark

Leave a comment:

• Thomas Brown
    replied

WOW! Absoulety stunning!!!
    Those would look fantastic flanking my TV stand and TV, almost as if they belong there.

I will turn in my DIY card at the next meeting as these are for me, Gaellen is a very easy guy to deal with and has been a absoulute pleasure to work with on this.

Basically these are actually Mrs. Stinky's speakers, she was the one that pushed for them to join our living room and funded the project (yes, that is me bragging a little - or alot). She knows I'm slow and they would never get done, If I had taken them on.

I can't say enough about Gaellen (bolland83), his professional approach, his artistic approach, and well just one great guy. Looking forward to driving out to AZ and enjoying some time with the guys out there, as well as bring home a piece of art.

THANK YOU MY FRIEND!!!

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Those are really nice looking speakers!

Leave a comment:

• jonpike
    replied

+1 on that's a work of art! You've got a lucky customer!

Man, I'm going to have to try something like that...

Side note on the sprayers... as an alternative, Rockler is having a sale on two turbine type HVLP guns, a Wagner for $80, and their house brand one for $120. Being turbine driven, they don't need a compressor. Being HVLP needs a lot of air volume, and I have a tiny compressor, I never got one of the regular kind. Can't say about the Wagner, but have the Rockler one, and it's nice. (There's a HF copy of the Rockler one (or maybe it's the same?) for less, and there's a real cheap HF turbine I got first, but it's just usable with some work.)

Both are a lot less than the estimated rattle can bill... :D

Leave a comment:

• bolland83
    replied

Originally posted by randyc1 View Post
    Great build Bolland83 ! ...love that finish and modification made from your original Tarkus.

Interesting that you also built the enclosure in a completlly different way.

Do u think you could get similar finish using spray can Poly instead of Gun ?
    I tried the spray cans of polycrylic, they were hit or miss. Some worked good, some just spattered. Maybe if you have a different brand of poly that you know has good quality spray cans, you should be able to pull it off. That said, there's a lot of cab to cover on these, for what you'd spend in spray cans you may be better off finding a good compressor used, and getting the HF spray gun. Figure 10+ spray cans of poly @ $15 each, it adds up quick. Add to that, the fact that the compressor and spray gun are re-usable, they pay for themselves after one or two large projects.

Leave a comment:

• Jay1
    replied

Those look so awesome! I really have to try that finish for my next speaker build.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X