Sony reloaded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony reloaded

I have a set of Sony towers, paid a whooping $40/forty dollars for, yippee craigslist- two 8's woofers and a mid and high in a 2.14(vas) ported tower/s I want suggestions on weather to "reload them" or just cross them, as they have no real crossover, only some tweeter caps... In my opinion the woofers seem usable but the mids and tweets are crummy especially with no crossover. These were $299ish when new so I'd like to keep the budget close the original MSRP Oh and it has a scant amount of floss dampening material just behind the woofers and at the top end of the tower. port is at bottom facing foreword. your suggestions are appreciated altops

Re: Sony reloaded

Originally posted by altops View Post
    I have a set of Sony towers, paid a whooping $40/forty dollars for, yippee craigslist- two 8's woofers and a mid and high in a 2.14(vas) ported tower/s I want suggestions on weather to "reload them" or just cross them, as they have no real crossover, only some tweeter caps... In my opinion the woofers seem usable but the mids and tweets are crummy especially with no crossover. These were $299ish when new so I'd like to keep the budget close the original MSRP Oh and it has a scant amount of floss dampening material just behind the woofers and at the top end of the tower. port is at bottom facing foreword. your suggestions are appreciated altops
    This might sound harsh but my suggestion is to put that junk back on craigslist and get your $40 back. Spend the $40 on some power tools from craigslist and build a real speaker.

If you do want to keep them, and the woofer surrounds are still in good shape, you're going to want to add bracing to the cabinet, get some measurement gear (WT3 and omnimic) and measure the drivers to redesign a crossover. By the time you do all that, you're going to ask yourself why you didn't just build a better speaker from scratch.
    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Amen.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
      return to the source
      leviathan system thread
      deadhorse thread
      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Cabinet mods are the main thing to consider. Lots of bracing and stuffing. You might also want to consider adding an ohm or two of series resistance to the mid and the tweet. Are these the speakers with the yellowish looking cones? I know someone with the single 8" version of those, and when he put them in the corner of his garage they really came to life. Not bad at all. I also advised him with the same advice. I do not have them anymore, but they also measured pretty free of any obvious peaks or valleys.
        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Can you measure the outside diameter of all the drivers? Might be possible to find drop in replacements for the drivers, and work up a crossover for them. You would have to create a separate chamber for the mid (I'm guessing there isnt one), unless something like a dome mid could fit the cutout.

Adding bracing and damping material to the cabinet is definitely a good idea.
          http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

Working...
          X