• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CBT36 clones .. sort of

What's the cc of the tweeters.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      Comb filtering would not allow any kind of decent treble response from the mids only. Now- if the drivers had an inherently rising response up to and past 20Khz, then it could possibly comb-filter the response back to flat destructively. I have seen this happen in one instance, and it was not bad.

Later,
      Wolf
      And which array was that if you remember?

Comment

Originally posted by rhubarb9999 View Post
        I did not notice much comb filtering with just the mids playing. The curve helps reduce this. With a good bit of EQ, the mids can sound OK .. but the tweeters really help.
        Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewmiester View Post
          What's the cc of the tweeters.
          Like, 5/8", in the kit form.
          Wolf
          Last edited by Wolf; 10-01-2014, 04:12 PM.
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Very nice work!
            I see that you have a straight array behind the curved one. Could you talk about the imaging differences and the size of the virtual image on these?
            Also, have you tried or planing in the future to RTA the in room response?
            http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Very nice curved arrays, for the smaller amount of money spent on them. Of course, there are a few reasons why the CBT36 speakers are done differently, but without the spare change to afford the more upscale drivers, this looks like it's probably a decent solution.

Also, as Don will tell you, there are line arrays and curved arrays, but not all line arrays or curved arrays are CBT arrays -- the shading is part of the 'special sauce', and then corrective filters in the processor come along and flatten the response by reducing output in the midrange and upper bass to restore flatness (as the CBT Legendre Shading technique results in sloping treble response). If you implement both these measures (which are well documented) then you'll have a true CBT array.
              Best Regards,

Rory Buszka
              Product Manager, Dayton Audio

The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Comment

I already have some pretty serious EQ going on with the DCX. I am crossing my mids much higher than the real CBT36 .. but the Aura driver is more full range than the ND91. I also cross to the woofers higher since the Aura wont go as low as the ND91. I would not consider my array usable without a woofer of some sort (not a sub).

I plan to do the shading at some point. This project has been moved to the side for now.

Comment

Working...
                X