Construction info on my winning MWAF speakers, the Amaroso (long)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul K.
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Sep 2005

Construction info on my winning MWAF speakers, the Amaroso (long)

I was fortunate for my Amaroso design to win first place in the Dayton Audio category at last weekend's MWAF event. Following is a description of their design, followed by 4 photos (and I will provide several more posts with more photos and drawings:

Drivers used in the Amaroso are the Dayton Audio RS225-8 woofer, a Bohlender-Graebener Neo8 midrange and a Hiquphon OW2 tweeter. The woofer enclosure is a folded, mass-loaded transmission-line (ML-TL) modeled using Martin King’s ML-TQWT Worksheet (version 2/09/08) and with a predicted anechoic F3 of 33 Hz. The rather unique midrange enclosure uses a short, tapered TL, having a ¼-wavelength resonant frequency of ~400 Hz, to raise the falling lower-end response of the Neo8. The exit end of this tapered TL coincides with the apex of a triangular-shaped diffuser/deflector. Sound waves travel down the tapered TL, wrap around the diffuser/deflector into secondary tapered chambers to the sides of the box, then around the back of the diffuser and out the back of the cabinet through a vertical slot. All of the midrange enclosure contains fiber filling, mostly polyester and some fiberglass, with densities varying from 1.2 to 2.1 lb/ft3 depending on location and material. Fiberglass is used in the secondary side chambers; these chambers attenuate the lower frequency output from the rear slot, which results in a generally flat frequency output over its effective range, at about 5 dB below the front, on-axis output. The primary goals of the midrange enclosure design were to eliminate back-wave reflections through the driver and reduce standing waves, while providing a controlled rear output for a small enhancement of soundstage spaciousness and depth, yet allowing the cabinet’s back to be fairly close to the wall. Dan Neubecker conceptualized this midrange enclosure configuration. I built a midrange test box with an adjustable fore-and-aft location for the diffuser/deflector and shipped it to Dan. He used it to perform extensive testing of both front and rear outputs, using various stuffing densities and materials, various positions of the diffuser/deflector and a variety of rear slot sizes. Through this testing, the optimum geometry, stuffing densities and stuffing materials were determined.

The cabinet proper has external dimensions of 11-1/2 inches wide by 13-1/2 inches deep, with a height of 39-1/2 inches. The base adds 1-1/2 inches to the overall height and has a footprint of 12 inches by 14 inches. Internally the cabinet is 9 inches wide, 12 inches deep and 38-3/4 inches high. The woofer’s folded ML-TL resides in the bottom 26 inches of the cabinet with its 52.5-inch-long line having two turns, one of 90 degrees and the other of 180. Along its entire length, the line’s cross-section measures 9 inches wide and 5-3/4 inches deep. The first half of the line is stuffed with polyester fiber at a density of 0.75 lb/ft3. Above the ML-TL section is the sealed-off midrange section that has internal dimensions of 8 inches high, 9 inches wide and 12 inches deep. The tweeter resides in the top 3.5 inches of the cabinet. Baltic birch plywood, 18-mm thick, was used for the cabinet’s walls as well as for internal braces. Half-inch MDF was used for the ML-TL line divider, the top of the midrange enclosure and the angled dividers that form the tapered TL in the midrange section. The sides of the triangular diffuser/deflector are 9-mm Baltic birch plywood. Half-inch, solid Brazilian Cherry cladding on the cabinets’ sides increases their stiffness while improving aesthetics. The outside members of the base are constructed from 3/4-inch-thick pieces of this same Cherry hardwood. Countersunk magnets were secured with epoxy to the backs of the grille frames (9-mm Baltic birch plywood), aligning with heads of some of the drivers’ mounting screws. The crossover assembly is attached to the top of the base assembly, and the base assembly is attached to the bottom of the cabinet using ¼-20 bolts into T-nuts located in 4 gussets glued inside the bottom corners of the cabinet.

Dan also authored the crossover design using an otherwise completed speaker I built for in-box measurements, crossover simulation, mockup, testing and voicing. Using Dan’s completed crossover design to finish assembly of both speakers, I set them up for listening tests and potential tweaking in my home to accommodate my needs and preferences. In the end, the only change I made was to use 3 ohms for the resistor in series with the Neo8 (R4) instead of 4 ohms, which raised the midrange output by ~1 dB over its operating range. Crossover corners are nominally 610 Hz and 2.7 kHz, and there are 19 components in the crossover. The crossover design was targeted for a listening height of 37-38 inches at a horizontal offset of 15 degrees and utilizes mixed-order roll-offs. For the woofer low-pass and the midrange high-pass, 2nd-orders were used, while the midrange low-pass and the tweeter high-pass are 4th-orders. Split series resistors, one before the crossover and one before the driver, were utilized in the midrange leg to contour the response and improve phase tracking. A similar split-resistor configuration, one before the crossover and an Lpad before the tweeter, was used in the tweeter leg, again to shape tweeter response and improve phase tracking. As a result, there are 7 resistors in this crossover. Two notch filters were used, one for the woofer and one for the midrange. The woofer’s notch suppresses its initial cone breakup by 35 dB and its higher-frequency breakup by 45-50 dB. Similarly, the 12-kHz peak in the Neo8’s response is attenuated by at least 50 dB. The resulting phase tracking is excellent and the overall response is very flat, mostly exhibiting SPL variations of +/- ½ dB or less from 500 Hz to ~17 kHz. Impedance magnitude dips just below 4 ohms around 2 kHz, but the concurrent impedance phase is only slightly negative. Up to 1 kHz and above 6 kHz the impedance magnitude is 7-8 ohms or higher, including when the impedance phase is at its two most-negative points. Most amplifiers should be happy with the Amaroso. All crossover capacitors are polypropylene from Jantzen, Audyn, Solen and ClarityCap. All of the resistors are 12-watt Mills. The woofer’s inductor is an Erse 16-gauge steel laminate, while the other inductors are air-cores from Jantzen and Madisound. The final system sensitivity is 84-85 dB (re: 2.83v/1m). An input of 25 watts will generate 102 dB SPL above 45 Hz with the woofer reaching its rated Xmax at 22 Hz and a peak port air velocity of 17 m/s at 27 Hz.

Paul
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished cabinet without grille.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1185344Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished cabinet rear.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1185345Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished cabinet with grille.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1185346Click image for larger version

Name:	Connecting crossover assy.jpg
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	1185347
  • Paul K.
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Sep 2005

Re: Construction info on my winning MWAF speakers, the Amaroso (long)

The next attachments are a cabinet side view drawing, a top-view drawing of the midrange enclosure, and the crossover schematic.
    Paul

Name:	Amaroso Cabinet Sideview.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	526.8 KB
ID:	1150451Click image for larger version

Name:	Amaroso Midrange Enclosure.jpg
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	1150452Click image for larger version

Name:	Amaroso Xover Schematic.jpg
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	1150462
    Last edited by Paul K.; 07-17-2013, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• Paul K.
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Sep 2005

Attached here are a cabinet photo from the top of the midrange enclosure before any stuffing was added, another with some of the stuffing added, the folded ML-TL in the bottom part of the cabinet for the woofer, and how I ran the wiring for the 3 drivers down the front of the cabinet.
      Paul

Name:	Midrange--TL and rear deflector.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1150453Click image for larger version

Name:	Midrange--pocket stuffing.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1150454Click image for larger version

Name:	Woofer TL.jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1150455Click image for larger version

Name:	Installing driver wiring.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1150456

Comment

• isaeagle4031
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Jun 2008

Excellent build and write up Paul. Can't wait to hear them in Iowa.
        Is that the correct crossover though?
        https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

• Wolf
          Obsessed & Proud of It
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Paul K.
          The next attachments are a cabinet side view drawing, a top-view drawing of the midrange enclosure, and the crossover schematic.
          Paul
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]38000[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38001[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38002[/ATTACH]
          This is the Alicante Xover, not the Amaroso.
          Heads up,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Paul K.
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Sep 2005

No, darn, I clicked on the wrong crossover schematic. Thanks for the heads up. Here's the correct one:

Name:	Amaroso Xover Schematic.jpg
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	1150461
            Paul

Originally posted by isaeagle4031
            Excellent build and write up Paul. Can't wait to hear them in Iowa.
            Is that the correct crossover though?

Comment

• Paul K.
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Sep 2005

Thanks, Ben, too. I went back and corrected the original post having that attachment. Hey, both titles started with an "A" and were next to each other, so it's easy to see how I clicked on the wrong one. :o
              Paul

Originally posted by Wolf
              This is the Alicante Xover, not the Amaroso.
              Heads up,
              Wolf
              Last edited by Paul K.; 07-18-2013, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• Jay1
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Dec 2011

You have to go into "manage attachments" and delete the old one.

Nice write up!
                http://jaysspeakerpage.weebly.com/

Comment

• Paul K.
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Sep 2005

Thanks, that worked. I had tried to simply use Editing to delete it and didn't realize I had to do something a bit more complicated. In any event the incorrect schematic is now gone.
                  Paul

Originally posted by Jay1
                  You have to go into "manage attachments" and delete the old one.

Nice write up!

Comment

• Difvision
                    Midrange Member
                    • May 2013

Heard them, they sounded great! They did stand out. Which is a lot to say since all entries were very good!

This is DIY, but if someone offered, how much would they sell for? Do DIY designs / builds ever sell in certain arenas?

Comment

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Aug 2008

Great WU Paul. Will these end up in your living room?
                      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

• Wolf
                        Obsessed & Proud of It
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by [email protected]
                        I hope that spot still holds the Cantilenas most often...
                        Wolf
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

• Wolf
                          Obsessed & Proud of It
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Difvision
                          Heard them, they sounded great! They did stand out. Which is a lot to say since all entries were very good!

This is DIY, but if someone offered, how much would they sell for? Do DIY designs / builds ever sell in certain arenas?
                          You have to consider:
                          OW2's are about $250/pair
                          Neo8's are $200/pair
                          RS225-8 are $115/pair

It all depends on what Paul wants out of them. If he is up for selling at a reduced rate if he did not spend retail for the drivers, they could sell for a lot less. If he wants retail, the cabinets may also get factored in, and those can get costly for materials.

I honestly can say that $850-900 would be where I'd price them if I was to sell them outright.

Later,
                          Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

• Paul K.
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Sep 2005

As Wolf mentioned already, not counting the cabinets and some miscellaneous things, at regular list prices the drivers cost ~$600 and the crossover components cost ~$300 for the pair. If you didn't use the solid Brazilian Cherry to clad the sides or on the base, you might be able to get by with another ~$100 or so, bringing the total to $1000 or so as an estimate. I've sold a few pairs of my DIY speakers previously and the asking price I usually come up with is the actual cost of drivers and crossover components (plus a bit more, sometimes). Right now, the Amarosos aren't for sale as I'm enjoying playing music through them and I may still do some crossover tweaking as time goes on.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments.
                            Paul

Originally posted by Difvision

Comment

• Paul K.
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Sep 2005

Thanks, Lowell. They are in my living room now, along with the RS duets, and at some point I'm going to bring up the canTiLenas from the basement and do a formal, but not blinded, A/B comparison. As much as like the RS duets, I suspect they will end up in the basement, but no opinion beyond that at this time.
                              Paul

Originally posted by [email protected]

Comment

Working...