Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another buyout 6.5" micro subwoofer project - the Footrest sub.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another buyout 6.5" micro subwoofer project - the Footrest sub.

So I still had some of those little 6.5" buyout subwoofers floating around, and built one more microsub with one of them. This is another which uses the Dayton 8" passive radiator and the 25W plate amp.

Modeled F3 is 43Hz, and it is 9" high, 9" deep and 17" wide. Most of it is 3/4" MDF, with the front, top and bottom having the addition of 1/4" HDF laminated over the MDF.

The PR tunes it quite low, which offers some extra control over the cone below tuning.

There is a cross brace in the center of the cabinet, the feet are wooden hobby wheels glued and screwed to the cabinet. The finish is black Duratex. I built this little guy strong, and downfiring to offer it protection while being used as a foot-rest, since that is quite literally what it will be used for under my daughter's desk.

So here are some pictures...

I actually lost my last of the little subs due to dropping it. The frame bent pretty badly, the motor popped off :(

So there you have it...

Net volume: 0.35 cubic feet

PR tuned with 80g of added mass
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Re: Another buyout 6.5" micro subwoofer project - the Footrest sub.

Did you finish it with Duratex?

Comment

Very nice project Johnny...If you play some low frequency tones it can double as a foot massager.

Regards
      Bob C.
      NLA

Comment

Cool project Johnny. You have one lucky daughter!
        “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

lucasa - yes, Duratex

Bob - I hope not! I like to think I deadened the cabinet enough ;)

Eric - thank you, but I like to think I am the lucky one

Comment

I probably asked you before but what is the red sub box? That looks like something my HT needs.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanc View Post
              I probably asked you before but what is the red sub box? That looks like something my HT needs.
              Looks like Uluru at the bottom of the page...

http://gonecatfishin.net/Loudspeaker%20Designs.htm

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
              return to the source
              leviathan system thread
              deadhorse thread
              shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Is pointing a PR down okay? I was told that they would sag over time. I have a project that I wanted to put the PR down and out of site, but I was kind of talked out of it. Now I don't know.....

Comment

Originally posted by generic View Post
                  Is pointing a PR down okay? I was told that they would sag over time. I have a project that I wanted to put the PR down and out of site, but I was kind of talked out of it. Now I don't know.....
                  I couldn't tell you, but I assume it will do so. How much and how long it takes is the question.

Comment

JR do you have any of these subs left? I'm in need of 2
                    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                      JR do you have any of these subs left? I'm in need of 2
                      I have one coming to Iowa, I think Lowell may have a couple sitting around too.

Comment

think i'll bring all four.
                        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

cool I need 2 to build a couple of these footrest subs

Comment

I have one of the 8" passives coming, too.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                              I have one of the 8" passives coming, too.

PRs I've got but I may take it off your hands

Comment

Working...
                              X