Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	442.1 KB
ID:	1187321 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	917.3 KB
ID:	1187322
    First speaker builds using PE overnight sensation speaker kit. The amp is PE's 2x50W TDA7492 Class-D Amplifier Board. The amp housing is custom build using pine and oak. I made the milk paint myself and finished all with pure tung oil from www.realmilkpaint.com.
    Sprites as Separates
    ND65 Vented Desktops
    Overnight Sensations with Amp

Re: First build - Overnight Sensations and amp with milk paint

I like how the colors of the cabinet and mids complement each other. Nice job on this project.

Comment

How did you like the pure tung oil? I got mine from the same place as you, and I was not pleased (although I got hooked on the smell!). It took over 10 days for each coat to dry. Very frustrating. I wanted a simple finish that would be easy to touch up, but that pure stuff is just too slow to cure. Next time I'll use the polymerized stuff.

BTW, nice looking Overnight Sensations!
      Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

John, I was a little loose with the application. Both the speakers and amp wood were thirsty. I painted on a thick coat of tung oil and let it sit. on every surface that it started to soak in, I would add another coat, even while the tung oil wasn't completely dry (so I added a little tung oil to the brush and spread around the remaining tung oil still on the surface). This amounted to a new coat every 20 min or so. I did this to surfaces where maybe 50% of the surface was not glossy and seemed to have been absorbed by the wood. Took about 4 coats total before the wood seemed to be saturated and stopped absorbing the tung oil, at which point I rubbed it down with a dry cloth, checking on it every few hours to wipe down 'seeping' and let it sit overnight. The whole process was pretty easy and worked well for me, but I haven't thrown this up on the 'tung oil' forums, so there's a good chance I could've done it closer to a 'text book' application.
        Sprites as Separates
        ND65 Vented Desktops

Comment

Tung oil update...I'm now noticing a waxy film on some corners of the speakers and amp. A guy at realmilkpaint.com answered an email saying it was some of the dry tung oil on the surface. a course cloth can rub it off, or 0000 grade steel wool. he recommends cutting the pure tung oil with citrus solvent (2 parts solvent, 1 part tung oil) and rubbing it in as a final coat.

it does seem like a lot of extra work, but I like that the pure tung oil is green and doesn't release VOCs. same with the milk paint.
          Sprites as Separates
          ND65 Vented Desktops

Comment

And now the crucial question: How do you like the sound of your first project?
            “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Excellent color choice. I imagine these would score very high WAF points.

I've never done a milk paint finish before. But you make it look nice and easy. Does anyone know the advantages or disadvantages of this type of finish?
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
              Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

1. I am simply AMAZED by the sound.

2. I had NO IDEA how speakers were even made when I started this project, and now I'm using this forum and winISD to spec a custom build. My spare time and money is now consumed with all things DIY speakers.

3. The color was approved beforehand, thankfully. How it effects sound, I have no idea, but am curious if anyone has any info, as I was planning on using it again!

Thanks, all for the nice words! It is encouraging.
                Sprites as Separates
                ND65 Vented Desktops

Comment

Love that color.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                    I've never done a milk paint finish before. But you make it look nice and easy. Does anyone know the advantages or disadvantages of this type of finish?
                    Kid safe, food safe, pet safe finish you can eat off of. They are both low toxicity finishes. It's not the hardest finish (e.g. It will dent if underlying wood is soft) but it is extremely durable (e.g. Doesn't seem to crack with said dents). Hard to describe actually, since it is almost like it is self healing (I don't believe it is), just a different kind of durable. Also better water resistance than another traditional finish, shellac.

I use pure tung oil on my cutting boards (also OK for salad bowls and wood spoons etc. Just need to make sure it is the pure stuff). It's really nice to work with. I use a cloth to rub it on thick and a dry cloth to wipe off the excess. It does take a long time to cure fully. It can continue to harden for months.

Polymerized tung oil will dry faster but contains drying spirits so loses some of that smell (and the low toxicity). It forms a more durable finish and can build up to a higher lustre than tung oil on its own (at least it does so more readily).

I finished a pine coffee table in tung oil some years ago. It formed a really nice amber patina. The finish held up well to all sorts of abuse (no coasters, gasp!) and a wipe down with a damp rag always made it shine again.

Varnishes, lacquers, urethanes will build to a higher lustre/polish, dry faster and form a harder surface.

Comment

super-cool, knowledgebass. That's the info I was wondering about. I think I will have to give it a try soon.
                      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

I'm in a tiny apartment with a pregnant wife and a toddler, so the all natural, no VOC qualities of both milk paint and tung oil are HUGE. thanks for the post, knowledgebass
                        Sprites as Separates
                        ND65 Vented Desktops

Comment

Pure tung oil can be pre-polymerized by heating.
                          No solvents, thinners, driers are needed.
                          It really speeds the cure cycle and ups the gloss.

By itself, pure tung oil will dry to a matte finish even after rubbing out. The chains always wrinkle again.

Walnut oil is a good alternative to tung where a very light color is desired. It can also be heated to speed the cure.
                          It's slightly less durable orand water resistant compared to tung but will form a tough film.

I sometimes mix the two for effect.

As always with nut products - those with nut allergies should exercise caution.
                          Discretion is advised for articles that may see use outside controlled surroundings/general public/customers.

I have not seen any evidence that suggests problems associated with dry or polymerzed oils but that does not mean there is no problem.
                          ~99%
                          Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
                          Make me a poster of an old rodeo
                          Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
                          To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

Working...
                          X