Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• isaeagle4031
    replied
    I've used and measured both. The GRS are much better drivers imo. Though they do look very similar there are differences. Mounting size they are essentially the same. Audibly, the GW fall short.

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    Originally posted by greywarden View Post
    No, those are the GRS sealed back mids.
    The Goldwoods are sealed backs as well and look identical and likely are drop-in replacements (the GWs spec 5.25" outer diameter but measure 5.13" like the GRS spec). I'm using the GW-65/4 in a 2.1 boombox. I used the GWs because I couldn't find a graph on the GRSs and the Goldwoods go up to 10K hz (albeit with some dips and spikes between 6K and 10K). I have a 2nd order L-R HP at on the GWs at ~1K because of the impedance and SPL at 475hz.e

Leave a comment:

• KevinN
    replied

No, those are the GRS sealed back mids. I build JR's LSS speakers with them and I really liked the sound of them, so I used them as mids. IIRC 2500Hz or so crossover point and 500-600Hz on the low end, because they're sealed backs. They were fully active (been sitting in storage for over a year now) so I changed the x-over points several times, but I think that's where they were crossed in JR's LSS speakers, you'll have to ask him, I've long since lost the PDF on them.

Thanks for the compliments! I really enjoyed them when I was using them, they're just too big haha.

I just happened to have the LSS PDF handy - it says 600 and 4K.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied
    Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
    Just came across this build. Impressive ...

I was wondering is you looked at the Goldwood GW-65/8 for the mid. Any comments as compared to the GRS?

No, those are the GRS sealed back mids. I build JR's LSS speakers with them and I really liked the sound of them, so I used them as mids. IIRC 2500Hz or so crossover point and 500-600Hz on the low end, because they're sealed backs. They were fully active (been sitting in storage for over a year now) so I changed the x-over points several times, but I think that's where they were crossed in JR's LSS speakers, you'll have to ask him, I've long since lost the PDF on them.

Thanks for the compliments! I really enjoyed them when I was using them, they're just too big haha.

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    Just came across this build. Impressive ...

I was wondering is you looked at the Goldwood GW-65/8 for the mid. Any comments as compared to the GRS?

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied
    Re: Leviathan System

Originally posted by PassingInterest View Post
    Very nice!
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• PassingInterest
    replied

Very nice!

Leave a comment:

• woodsart
    replied

Then you are rocking....Excellent!

Yep that's the DAC I currently have. I really like it.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

Yep that's the DAC I currently have. I really like it.

Leave a comment:

• woodsart
    replied

Yep, for sure, The Pure direct/Source Direct on the Marantzes are exceptional, but add the MSII+ from HRT and your speakers become more impressive!!!

It's really impressive. I mashed the "Pure Direct" button on my Marantz remote and it sounds even more impressive. They sound.... Enormous!

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

It's really impressive. I mashed the "Pure Direct" button on my Marantz remote and it sounds even more impressive. They sound.... Enormous!

Leave a comment:

• kenny_k
    replied

Looks good, what do you think of the sound?
    Last edited by kenny_k; 06-01-2014, 10:26 PM. Reason: forgot the "the"

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

... and here's what I've got going on the passive crossover design as of right now. I need to get some better measurements before I really commit to buying parts, though. The issue with the mid-tweeter phase tracking I believe was an issue with the midranges being accidentally wired out of phase, when I switch the phase on the mids, it lines up almost perfectly.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

Reworked the crossover points and EQ with the MiniDSP today.

Here's a screenshot of the left and right averaged in REW. Efficiency is at 84dB from about 15Hz on up. When I can get a Cleanbox or w/e doo-dad it is to preamp the Crown XLS1500 then it'll be around 88-89dB

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

Originally posted by BusterIrvine View Post
    I just saw this thread and they are very cool, definitely worth the wait.
    Thanks, yeah I really enjoy them, currently doing some passive and active crossover designs for them until I can foot the bill for passive parts. I'll probably end up doing a re-working of the MiniDSP settings with 2 days off work and the roommate/dogs out of the house.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X