• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordy
    replied
    Re: 1st Boombox Project - The Madeleine

Originally posted by jared View Post
    Looks great! Very clean project.

So the volume control is via bluetooth device only? And what bluetooth module did you use? Most of the ones I've seen are 5v - did you use a small regulator to step it down from 12v?
    Yes the volume is controlled by the bluetooth device (phone, tablet etc). The BT module used was a Millennia MIL-BTREC and it is 12v. There are not that many of these on the market in 12v. I was only able to find 2 are their availability is sketchy at best.

I purposely chose the amp and the BT module because they are 12v. No step-down regulators to deal with and it minimizes parts. There is some feedback at zero volume that sounds like data transfer but once the volume is turned up is go away and is drowned out by the audio.

Leave a comment:

• jared
    replied

Looks great! Very clean project.

So the volume control is via bluetooth device only? And what bluetooth module did you use? Most of the ones I've seen are 5v - did you use a small regulator to step it down from 12v?

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Thanks for the kind words. I have about 10 hours on it now and will be doing a follow up impressions and the what's and why's write up in a few days or when time allows.

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
    This is one of those times when I'm reminded that suck at woodworking.

Magnificent job. Great build log, as well. This is a project I've wanted to see someone build for a long, long time.
    Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Great looking build. OK, I have seen this a few times.....twisting of the speaker wire. Is there anything to this or just a builders preference to keep them together?

Thanks! This is a throwback to my 12v years. We would put wires like this in a drill and a vice and twist them up just to keep them together. There is no other reason than that. If it helps with EMI then bonus!

Here are some pics that I took this morning. They show off the box a little better.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

I'm guessing EMI almost never comes into play with speaker wire, but I suppose it can't hurt especially if you live near a HAM radio operator...LOL. But seriously, I twist them too (not that tight though) and then I twist the tweeter and woofer leads and run them to the crossover. This makes it very easy to zip-tie or otherwise secure the driver leads so that they don't ever make noise in the box. Especially for MLTLs, where your driver-to-crossover distance could be 36"....why fuss with multiple leads when you can have one nice twisted lead that you can secure to window braces on the way to the crossover and/or terminal cup? ….and it looks dead sexy when you take pics.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

Looks really great, I need to twist my wires like that, because with 5 drivers in each tower, it gets a little messy haha.

Leave a comment:

• Lutkeveld
    replied

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Great looking build. OK, I have seen this a few times.....twisting of the speaker wire. Is there anything to this or just a builders preference to keep them together?
    Looks nice, keeps it tidy and reduces EMI. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair

Leave a comment:

• duker_255
    replied

Beautiful Work!!

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Bob
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

This is one of those times when I'm reminded that suck at woodworking.

Magnificent job. Great build log, as well. This is a project I've wanted to see someone build for a long, long time.

Leave a comment:

• joeybutts
    replied

Super clean, classy build. Nicely done.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Originally posted by Leroy R View Post
    Is there a Bluetooth receiver tucked in there somewhere?

Yes, it is to the top left of the amp with a black cable clamp holding it in place.

Leave a comment:

• Leroy R
    replied

Is there a Bluetooth receiver tucked in there somewhere?

Leave a comment:

• Leroy R
    replied

Very nice project. Those recessed feet were a great idea.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

This is the only pic i have of the final build. I will take some better one tomorrow. It sounds amazing and after 2 hour of continuous use the speakers really started to smooth out.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Installing the speakers

This was one of my favorite parts. I did not want the box on stilts off the surface it would reside on. So i countersunk the rubber feet. It turned out very well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X