X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordy
    replied
    Re: 1st Boombox Project - The Madeleine

Final assembly. This took about 3 hours. I took my time and the finish really needed another 24 hours but i was anxious and wanted to get everything in and working.

Leave a comment:

• bkeane1259
    replied

This is gonna be epic.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

I got the caps for the crossovers today. Once I soldered them in and utilized the holes on the bottom of the PCB to inject hot glue.

Finished and ready for sanding sealer and then the clear finished. I started with 150, then 220. Sprayed a good coat of Deft sanding sealer on the box and back plate then 320. 4 coats of Deft clear glossy finish then 320 then a final coat of glossy. I cannot say enough about Deft products. They have the best spray nozzles of any rattle can I have ever used and there finishes just go on smooth. It is hard to screw it up. They are very durable as well.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Gluing up the top, bottom and baffle.

Sanding and routing the glued assembly

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Mocking up the electronics. IN order to make sure everything fit right i mocked up where the wires would go and made the wiring harness. This way all the screw holes needed for cable clamps and bus bars would already be fitted making final assembly easier./

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Gluing in the ports. I chose not to use the standard ports for the OS's. The flange on the back was too big for the back panel and they would not have blended in with the all smooth look. I countersunk the ports 3/8" into the back panel. It adds 3/8" so I cut the PVC to 5-5/8". I used Gorilla glue because of it expanding properties. There is a 3/4" hole in the port that is just big enough to get a flush cut router bit in. I saw this on another project and thought it was really neat so I decided to use that technique on this project.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
    It's looking good!
    Thanks! I sprayed the last coat of finish this evening. I should have it up and running in the next few days. I will try to post more pics in the next day or two

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

It's looking good!

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Cutting out for the speakers in the baffle. It took 5 tries on scrap wood before I got the circle just right and the driver snug.

Here is that wobbly holes saw after counter sinking the tweeter.

Test fit of the tweeters before the the woofers were routed out.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Assembly of the cabinet. Test fitting the dowel holes and the inside structure of the cabinet.

I cut some pine spacers that allowed me to glue the structure up square.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Drilling the holes to mount the amp and crossovers and other stuff. I countersunk these on the bottom of the box so they would be hidden. I am using #8 1-1/4" 10-32 machine screws, 1/2" nylon spacers and a rubber washer for vibration. This way the crossovers would not be permanently mounted. If I wanted to remove them for another project I could.

The amp utilizes the same set up but with #6 machine screws same length and spacer. I did have to drill out the amp and the crossovers to accommodate the machine screws. Just a little bit larger than the original hole and the drill press took care of the task easily.

The 4 holes countersunk on the corners are for the Penn-Elcom rubber cabinet feet (F1633). They are 1-1/8" wide and 1/2" deep. I wanted the cabinet close to the surface it was on and to look like is blended into that surface. So I countersunk them with a 1-1/8" forester bit 1/4" deep. The result was really cool. They fit snugly in the cut out and raise the box up off the surface just enough.

The electrical components for power are a switch for on-off power, fuse holder (070-610) to protect the electronics and a plug for the AC Adapter (090-496). These are mounted in the back of the box and recessed as much as possible to give the back a smooth look fro the side. Side Note: the next box will have a USB charging port were the fuse holder is. The fuse holder will be moved to the bottom of the cabinet.

Fuse Holder

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Testing the recessed driver cuts. I do not have a plunge router but do have a regular router and a drill press. The final cuts in the oak baffle were near perfect. No need for a router or circle cutting jig. If I did this more, both would have a place in my tool box. I used a circle cutting bit in the drill press and a 1/2" rabbit bit on my router for the woofer. The pace needed to sink the woofer was about .489". So, the 1/2" bit worked very well. The requisite 45mm forester bit was used to recess the tweeter. I have an old 1 1/4" hole saw that wobbles just a little bit. It makes a perfect snug fit hole for the tweeter. Like tough to press in snug. I call this a win.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Originally posted by Eternal Student View Post
    I've been digging around the Googles and I haven't been able to find that crossover PCB. Where did you get it from and how can we order some? It makes the build so very clean looking.

Leave a comment:

• Eternal Student
    replied

I've been digging around the Googles and I haven't been able to find that crossover PCB. Where did you get it from and how can we order some? It makes the build so very clean looking.

Leave a comment:

• Dewmiester
    replied

Looks like a good project.

The second pic reminds me of my old Pioneer receiver.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X