X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordy
    replied
    Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

Is the BT module powered even though it's not connected? This may still be an issue; the BT module output still be low impedance with a null signal.
    Yes. He uses it often and has not been an issue as of yet.

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    Originally posted by Gordy View Post

This is correct. The inputs are tied together. My Dad knows to make sure the BT is not connected when he uses the 3.5mm jack.

Is the BT module powered even though it's not connected? This may still be an issue; the BT module output still be low impedance with a null signal.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

Since Gordy hasn't answered yet, so I'll take a stab at it.

The Sure amp has L-R inputs using both RC and screw terminals mounted to the board. By default, the Sure PCB electrically connects these inputs together (e.g., L+ Screw = L+ RCA & R+ screw = R+ RCA, Gnd is common throughout). He connected the BT board directly to the RCA inputs using teh male-male adpaters (gold) and the "head phone" jack is a 3.5mm input jack connected to the screw terminals.

What I don't see is how the amp "switches" between the two inputs. When using BT and nothing connected to the 3.5mm jack, everything is fine running BT. When a device (e.g., mp3, player, phone, etc.) is plugged into the 3.5mm jack, the outputs of that device are in contention with the outputs of the BT board. That is, two low impedance sources are connected to one another.

See the pics in post 109.

Okay, now let Gordy set me straight ...
    This is correct. The inputs are tied together. My Dad knows to make sure the BT is not connected when he uses the 3.5mm jack.

Leave a comment:

• jlwilsonjr
    replied

The Sure amp has L-R inputs using both RC and screw terminals mounted to the board. By default, the Sure PCB electrically connects these inputs together (e.g., L+ Screw = L+ RCA & R+ screw = R+ RCA, Gnd is common throughout). He connected the BT board directly to the RCA inputs using teh male-male adpaters (gold) and the "head phone" jack is a 3.5mm input jack connected to the screw terminals.

What I don't see is how the amp "switches" between the two inputs. When using BT and nothing connected to the 3.5mm jack, everything is fine running BT. When a device (e.g., mp3, player, phone, etc.) is plugged into the 3.5mm jack, the outputs of that device are in contention with the outputs of the BT board. That is, two low impedance sources are connected to one another.

Thanks for the tip, I think I got it figured out!

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    Originally posted by jlwilsonjr View Post
    Gordy another question. Can you tell me what parts and how you hooked up the headphone jack?

Leave a comment:

• dcozzi
    replied
    The Mahogany one is absolutely beautiful. Nice job! I think the upgrades of the better BT and a line in make it nearly perfect.
    Like was said previously, it would be a shame to have it not sound as good as it looks. Very true indeed.

Leave a comment:

• jlwilsonjr
    replied
    Gordy another question. Can you tell me what parts and how you hooked up the headphone jack?

Leave a comment:

• Mike The Welder
    replied

It is very cool to look on your device and see the name you have chosen for the BT module. They only offer the service on a few models. I have had many done this way and it is well worth it.
    I am thinking about doing the naming on future builds. I have only bought the electronics for the first of the 4 I plan on building. If there was a port to do firmware updates it would be a pretty easy thing to do, but this is a pretty simple design. I have a bottle opener that played a jingle for my wife's company every time you opened a bottle and it had a mini usb port. I was able to go in and replace the music file to a different tune. Took me a week to figure it out, but once I did it took about 45 seconds to actually reflash the chip. Someone might be able to hack the digital combo BT/Amps Sure sells but, I'll wait for someone else to do it first. LOL

I agree though, well worth $1 to have this done when ordering, but you have to order them from the Sure website to have this done.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied

IIRC, you can ask Sure to "name" the BT module at ordering time for a $1 extra charge. I'm thinking custom names such as "Jack" and "Jill" (their names) just have to elevate the DIY uncle status

It is very cool to look on your device and see the name you have chosen for the BT module. They only offer the service on a few models. I have had many done this way and it is well worth it.

Leave a comment:

• jlwilsonjr
    replied
    I was afraid they would. I already have the BT modules guess I should have asked sooner. Would have been cool to have the BT module named after them.

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    Also you can use the new Sure amp/BT combo boards a very easy all-in-one combo.
    IIRC, you can ask Sure to "name" the BT module at ordering time for a $1 extra charge. I'm thinking custom names such as "Jack" and "Jill" (their names) just have to elevate the DIY uncle status

The JAB2 will run at 24v with a wall wart of sufficient capacity, ~12v when running on the integrated 3 LiPo cells for truly portable use. Given the nominal 8 ohm impedance of the OS design, I would want the extra power for a younger crowd.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied
    Yes both BT modules will have the same name. When they first turn them on have them power up and connect one at a time. Even though they have the same name they have different IDs. Also you can use the new Sure amp/BT combo boards a very easy all-in-one combo.

Leave a comment:

• jlwilsonjr
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike The Welder View Post
    I've been lurking on this site for 4-5 months after I found this build thread and finally decided to register. I hope you don't mind Gordy but I decided a few months ago that I am going to build your Madeleine almost exactly like you built the mahogany one. I had to wait a few months because the drivers were not available from PE or anybody else for that mater. I now have all the electronics, drivers and hardware, just need to get time to run over to Dakota in Dallas to get the wood. I could not find the pcb's you used but, there is another guy selling pcb's for the OS on that auction site nobody likes. I plan to make 4 Madeleine's for Xmas gifts so I bought 4 sets of pcb's. I'll do a build thread if the first one turns out decent(next to yours). My dad was the wood worker and I've always been the metal/car guy so I hope I'm not in over my head. Thanks for the inspiration and the plans and to Paul for the OS speaker design.
    I'm in the exact same situation. I have a question. I'm building two of these that will go to the same house (niece and nephew). I ordered the exact bluetooth board that Gordy has in his plans. My question is when my niece and nephew want to connect to their boom box will the bluetooth name be the same on their iphones? I would hate for my nephew to mistakenly play music on my nieces box and vice versa!

Gordy thanks for the plans what a huge help they are, and to Paul for the awesome OS design.

Leave a comment:

• Gordy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike The Welder View Post
    I've been lurking on this site for 4-5 months after I found this build thread and finally decided to register. I hope you don't mind Gordy but I decided a few months ago that I am going to build your Madeleine almost exactly like you built the mahogany one. I had to wait a few months because the drivers were not available from PE or anybody else for that mater. I now have all the electronics, drivers and hardware, just need to get time to run over to Dakota in Dallas to get the wood. I could not find the pcb's you used but, there is another guy selling pcb's for the OS on that auction site nobody likes. I plan to make 4 Madeleine's for Xmas gifts so I bought 4 sets of pcb's. I'll do a build thread if the first one turns out decent(next to yours). My dad was the wood worker and I've always been the metal/car guy so I hope I'm not in over my head. Thanks for the inspiration and the plans and to Paul for the OS speaker design.

Welcome to the forum! I don't mind at all. There are several versions of the Madeleine out there and each is equally as cool. Make it your own and enjoy the process and if you run into any snags just post them along with your build and am confident the folks on this forum will be happy to assist.

Leave a comment:

• Mike The Welder
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X